Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Not many of you know me. I show up every once in a while during breaks when I think I have more time.

I suddenly saw the light while seeing the umpteenth plan for Bulls salvation in rlucas's post, and then DaBullz's comment that the best plan for real change is to stop supporting the team. I believe that is true. It is time to stop supporting the team, or suffocating these young millionaires with our money and our expectations.

So I went to My Bulls.com and unsubscribed from the mailing list. Strangely, when I did so, I got the opportunity to submit my reasons for doing so. How nice. I told them that I was tired of spending too much time supporting a team that isn't going anywhere. It does seem that the worse they get, the more obligated I feel to worry about them and think about what to do. It's weird.

Anyway, I thought that I would let you know that instead of arguing amongst ourselves, you might consider doing the same and sending a message to the powers that be. Enough is enough.

I should mention that I've really enjoyed everyone's thoughts and passion. Its amazing. But maybe, its misplaced?:heart:

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Good Hope</b>!
Hi.

Not many of you know me. I show up every once in a while during breaks when I think I have more time.

I suddenly saw the light while seeing the umpteenth plan for Bulls salvation in rlucas's post, and then DaBullz's comment that the best plan for real change is to stop supporting the team. I believe that is true. It is time to stop supporting the team, or suffocating these young millionaires with our money and our expectations.

So I went to My Bulls.com and unsubscribed from the mailing list. Strangely, when I did so, I got the opportunity to submit my reasons for doing so. How nice. I told them that I was tired of spending too much time supporting a team that isn't going anywhere. It does seem that the worse they get, the more obligated I feel to worry about them and think about what to do. It's weird.

Anyway, I thought that I would let you know that instead of arguing amongst ourselves, you might consider doing the same and sending a message to the powers that be. Enough is enough.

I should mention that I've really enjoyed everyone's thoughts and passion. Its amazing. But maybe, its misplaced?:heart:
I can't help it. When i pick a team, I stay with them. Misplaced? Sorry that is what a fan is all about. My dear uncle who is 91 has been a cubs fan since the day he was born among Cardinal and Reds fans, never, ever thought his loyalties was misplaced. I am a Cardinal fan and never once have I every left them. If a person is a fan they are a fan. Doesn't mean they have to be positive all of the time, but misplaced loyalty should never, ever be told to any real fan of any team IMO.

No. I am a bulls fan and i will never leave them, ever. To me, those who jump on and jump off are not real fans. They follow what is popular or are only a fan when things are good. What is up with that????

Being a fan doesn't mean all is rosey all of the time. We can vent if we want.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Things are not as bad as they seem

we are 6 games out of the playoffs

Tyson and Pippen are coming back this month

We have had a lead in the 4th qtr every game since the trade

and we have a core Tyson, Eddy, Jamal, and Kirk....give them time to develop....take it for what its worth we either use that core....land a fa.....or rebuild again

Go Bulls....were gonna make the playoffs

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts

That's an excellent idea. How do I subscribe so that I can do this?

;)

Sorry, couldn't resist!

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
If I was going to leave the Bulls I would have left after Krause killed the dynasty. I think I'm in for the long haul now.

Earlier in the season I may have intimated that I would leave if they traded Crawford for second round crap and/or Othella Harrington...however my position has softened.

Even if Paxson decides to build around Rick Brunson, I'll still be a Bulls fan.

They still have some of the best team uniforms in the league. Simple but good. Nuanced.

I think we need more threads talking about the glory days with the Bulls to pick up fans spirits.

Like remember when we won 6 championships in 10 years and had the greatest player of all-time play for us....and when we set the NBA record for most wins in a seaon?

We can be crappy all that managment wants, but they can never take Michael Jordan and 6 championships away from us. Never.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's an excellent idea. How do I subscribe so that I can do this?
Wynn!. Just go to Bulls.com and follow the links to subscribe.

When I unsubscribed, I didn't test the buffer to see how much I could write, but it was only a single line, not a box, so they weren't exactly encouraging a long response. I didn't feel like writing one, either.

Truebluefan! I didn't mean to say that you are wasting your time. But if you go back to the thread on rlucas's plan to blow up the team, my sense about this is that these young guys are freaked out by the obsession of the Bulls' fans. They don't know how to handle it. They feel burdened, when in fact they should feel blessed for their opportunity. And it just occurred to me that as fans we have to lighten up, and just let these guys alone.

We've talked about letting them earn their contracts. Maybe we need to let them earn our interest and devotion. We want and need for these guys to be like MJ, Scottie, etc.. But these kids, they take our interest for granted. In fact, it's become a burden to them. When they don't have it, maybe they'll appreciate what they had. If they can't work hard for the money, or even for playing time, maybe they can work hard to earn fan support?

It sounds like a crazy idea, maybe. And maybe I'm betraying the team? But maybe its the one positive thing we can do to actually impact how these guys play, and get their heads on straight.

Do you see what I'm saying?

·
Registered
8,604 Posts

Truebluefan! I didn't mean to say that you are wasting your time. But if you go back to the thread on rlucas's plan to blow up the team, my sense about this is that these young guys are freaked out by the obsession of the Bulls' fans. They don't know how to handle it. They feel burdened, when in fact they should feel blessed for their opportunity. And it just occurred to me that as fans we have to lighten up, and just let these guys alone.
get their heads on straight.

From the Chicago Sun Times January 10th:
(not posting the link, i know you all have read this...)

"It's tough when your home crowd is booing you,'' Curry said before the game. "We don't hear that much booing on the road. We get cheers on the road. So it's crazy.

"It's tough to kind of work through that and ignore it. When you're at home and you're down, you're looking for the crowd to give you a lift, and it's not happening.''

Curry said he is not playing for the fans, but he wasn't ripping them.

"They can boo all they want,'' he said. "Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I'm playing for myself and for the team, and I want to play well to win games. If the outcome of us winning games is for the crowd to get excited, that's a good thing.''

well Eddy isn't playing for the fans so i guess he isn't freaked out. :p

seriously, i understand the point of the original post, but i think in this case, we gotta realize that, despite the cool TV ad, nothing is changing in the blink of an eye.

patience is a virtue.

jmo

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>mizenkay</b>!

From the Chicago Sun Times January 10th:
(not posting the link, i know you all have read this...)

"It's tough when your home crowd is booing you,'' Curry said before the game. "We don't hear that much booing on the road. We get cheers on the road. So it's crazy.

"It's tough to kind of work through that and ignore it. When you're at home and you're down, you're looking for the crowd to give you a lift, and it's not happening.''

Curry said he is not playing for the fans, but he wasn't ripping them.

"They can boo all they want,'' he said. "Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I'm playing for myself and for the team, and I want to play well to win games. If the outcome of us winning games is for the crowd to get excited, that's a good thing.''

well Eddy isn't playing for the fans so i guess he isn't freaked out. :p

seriously, i understand the point of the original post, but i think in this case, we gotta realize that, despite the cool TV ad, nothing is changing in the blink of an eye.

patience is a virtue.

jmo
Well, I think that Curry got the message from Skiles, who mentioned that they might want to be thankful for having the third best attendance while having the sixth worst record. :eek:

But what I am advocating is precisely patience. And sending a message that these guys can understand.

Like Futurist says, think back to the pre-championship Bulls. They were very good, but there were doubts whether they could go all the way. And as a city, we waited to see what they could do. Of course, the Stadium was filled because of Jordan, but as a city, we let the team earn our fanaticism. When they did, it was a lot of fun for everyone.

But what have these kids earned? Maybe, just maybe this is what we can uniquely contribute as fans, is to back off and let the kids play and grow up, starting from where they are, not thinking of them as part of "rebuilding plan T". Wait, and see if they can make it happen. Maybe they can. But its clear that right now, they are tighter than a drum. So, let them play. It doesn't mean that Skiles should give up. It means we should "give up" expecting that they will "get it" overnight. Follow the team, sure, but stop reading the goose droppings to see the future now.

That, to me, is patience. Patience to let Skiles, Paxson, and the team earn our interest, let alone our devotion.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
I pretty much did the same thing with the White Sox when they could not win because Rinsdorf was spending all his money on the Bulls dynesty. Then the Sox improve a little and then I thought they were going to strike two seasons ago. Too say the least, I am only a Sox fan in name only I don't really care how they do.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I see no merit to this. Who's going to know you did this? Adam Fluck at Bulls.com, and maybe his boss. If yu're unbelievably lucky, word gets to Paxson. But that changes what? Paxson's doing his damndest. When he sees a problem with the team, he mends it (Kirk, BC, Jalen, Doop). He can only take this team as much as the players do. And you unsubscribing from mybulls won't impact the players.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[b] Re: Not worth it[/b]

Originally posted by <b>ShamBulls</b>!
I see no merit to this. And you unsubscribing from mybulls won't impact the players.
And 5,000 posts on who to trade, or what Curry needs to do during the offseason, does?

I guess I'm not expressing myself well.

I don't doubt that you are right, and unsubscribing to Bulls.com won't change a thing, anymore than my single vote has any impact on who becomes president of the US.

Maybe I should have titled this thread -- disengage.

Let me try again:

The relative solitude must have felt relaxing to Crawford, who didn't have to worry about a booing home crowd or grabbing some bench because of defensive lapses. It was just Crawford and his thoughts, which have seemed to weigh heavily on the mind of the 23-year-old guard lately.

Crawford's best friend on the team, Eddy Curry, also seems to be carrying the weight of the world, and that weight increased with the Bulls' 87-78 loss to the Portland Trail Blazers.

Curry admitted he's not having fun, although he didn't elaborate. But he did comment on the booing that started in the first quarter.
Bulls' Crawford at crossroads

These guys are feeling the weight of the world? They've got millions of bucks for playing a game. What's up with that?

The Bulls should feel lucky that despite more than five consecutive seasons of horrendous basketball, they have the third-highest home attendance in the league.

"What could be better than to be third in the league in attendance with an 11-25 record?'' coach Scott Skiles asked. "We should appreciate that more than anything else. I would say because of that, they have the right to voice their displeasure if they don't like the product.

"I don't think it's been out of hand. What I'm trying to convince my guys of is if they're not playing well, it's going to happen. If they're playing hard, I don't believe it will happen. The other night it was 31-31 and we were getting booed, so I think there's a history from the years of losing. They're quicker with the trigger, I guess.''
Curry won't fly off handle at home-court boo-birds

The fans have an impact on these guys. We can send them a message. Is unsubscribing the only way, or the best way? No. I brought it up to suggest that we think of other ways to let them know, and let the team know, that things have to change.

"I'm having a lot of fun,'' Curry said without much conviction. "I'm just trying to do a little extra. It's tough, but you definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel. I don't get upset. I like attention, positive or negative.''

Skiles said his interest in Curry is not negative, but Skiles' approach is fully endorsed by operations chief John Paxson.

"I believe in the guys here,'' Skiles said. "If I didn't, I wouldn't work with anybody or worry about any standards. I would wait until the summer and try to get a good [draft] pick and roll that way.

"I think [Curry] will [appreciate it]. How many of us in our lives haven't appreciated something until after the fact? One thing I told the guys the other day, I was as young and immature as anyone in my late teens and early 20s, and at the same time I had a decent head on my shoulders, but I had parents, coaches and other relatives and people who believed in me and were on my [butt]. As a result, I feel I turned out OK. That's the approach we're trying to take.''
Skiles makes demand in the middle

Maybe, if we take away the attention, he might get the message that it has to be earned, just like his paycheck.

Let's show real patience by making it clear to these guys that they don't get our attention, interest and love until they've earned it.

Am I making myself clearer?

One last link:
"There seems to be this pressure all the time here, pressure on the coach to play Jamal and pressure on Jamal to do certain things,'' Skiles said. "I don't know what has warranted that, honestly. Jamal's a very good player, but in order to have lasting effect, [the minutes] have to be earned.

"I'm not down on Jamal. ... I told Jamal I know that he's frustrated about not being in there in critical moments at the end of games, and I've been there myself as a player, so I understand it. But you have to do what's necessary in all aspects of the game in order to stay out there. He was fine with it.''
Paxson knows trading Crawford won't be easy

Where is the pressure coming from? The media -- maybe. But maybe it is also from us. And Skiles' question, "what has warranted that?" is a good one. The pressure is a remnant from a team and a dynasty that doesn't exist any more.

Let's let this team become what it can be, and I bet there are a lot of ways that we as fans can communicate to the players and the team, letting them know that we're through giving them attention unconditionally.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
bumpity bump bump.

Too quiet in here: Following Wednesday's game, Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich had three long scratches across his chest and on both arms, the result of overaggressive defense. He was fouled with 3:35 left in the game and checked for blood before walking to the free-throw line.

Hinrich also was part of the lethargic starting lineup that coach Scott Skiles pulled from the floor four minutes into the third quarter. The rookie from Kansas admitted he had trouble dealing with the minuscule crowd and dead atmosphere at Philips Arena.

"I've got to do something to get up for the game," Hinrich said. "I've never played in an atmosphere like that. I'm not saying that's an excuse for not playing that well. But with nobody there, it's just different. It's an adjustment, and it has to come from within."
Daily herald -- 1-22-04, in the article on Curry's performance.

These guys are facing the equivalent of basketball hell. I hope they get the picture, "repent" and find the resources within to turn this thing around.

Sure, I am a bandwagon fan. I got on with MJ. But now, I don't like where this wagon is taking me.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Give up and stop supporting them when they are losing, and start supporting them again when they win. Sounds like a bandwagon fan to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts