Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Agent: Nicolas Batum, Wolves agree

Restricted free agent Nicolas Batum has agreed to terms on an offer sheet with the Timberwolves and is hoping the Portland Trail Blazers either do not match the offer or execute a sign-and-trade to get him to Minnesota, Batum's agent told The Associated Press on Thursday night.

Batum and agent Bouna Ndiaye met with Blazers officials Thursday, and informed them the versatile swingman feels his best fit is in Minnesota. Ndiaye declined to give the terms of the agreement, but a person with knowledge of the deal said it was for four years and $45 million, with bonuses that could push it past $50 million. The person requested anonymity because the deal hasn't been completed.

The Blazers have been adamant they will match any offer for Batum and were not interested in trading the 23-year-old native Frenchman. Ndiaye said Batum has great respect for the Blazers and their fans but believes playing for Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman and alongside point guard Ricky Rubio and forward Kevin Love is the best situation for him.

"It was a very cordial meeting. There were no hard feelings," Ndiaye said. "So Nicolas basically talked about his four years with the Blazers, and he expressed that maybe it was time for him to look at a place where he could be more happy."

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Batum signs 4-yr/$45 mil offer sheet with Wolves

And Portland matches.
I really don't see how Portland can win anything with their current roster. Matching this deal would just lock them into that same roster even further. You're right that they probably will match, but I don't think they should.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts

If Indiana doesn't match Hibbert, and Portland nabs him, then Portland would only need a PG improvement to be dangerous. Matthews/Batum/Aldridge/Hibbert has good makings.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts

That is a stupidly large contract. Oh well. Good luck to Portland with that one.

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts

Meh. It's a 75% max deal for a swingman that can shoot and play defense. I'll agree that he's overpaid, but it isn't by that much, and they should be able to move the contract down the line if they need to.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts

This was actually the guy I thought the Wolves should go after this summer, so it's good to see they did. The contract is a little bit much, but you have to overpay a bit to get a RFA's team to not match. The upgrade from Johnson/Webster to Budinger/Batum should be noticeable.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Re: Update: Wolves, Blazers discussing S/T for Batum

The Minnesota Timberwolves are attempting to acquire free-agent forward Nicolas Batum in a three-team trade with the Portland Trail Blazers and Chicago Bulls, a league source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

Portland would receive shooting guard Kyle Korver from Chicago and two future first-round draft picks from Minnesota, according to the source. The Bulls would acquire a second-round pick from the Timberwolves, the source said.

The Timberwolves will sign Batum to an offer sheet if the deal can't be completed by Wednesday night, the source said.

But Minnesota is trying to avoid the risk of Portland matching the offer sheet by compensating the Blazers the future picks and Korver as a replacement for Batum.

Blazers general manager Neil Olshey said Wednesday the team would match any offers for Batum, who reportedly agreed with the Timberwolves on a four-year, $45 million offer with bonuses that could push the deal past $50 million.

Agent Bouna Ndiaye also told The Associated Press that Batum wanted to play for the Wolves and that they hoped the Blazers either would not match the offer or execute a sign-and-trade.

A four-year veteran, the 6-foot-8 Batum averaged 13.9 points and 4.6 rebounds -- both career highs -- with Portland this past season.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8...ta-timberwolves-discussing-nicolas-batum-deal

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts

When I first saw the headline of it, I thought it had to include Derrick Williams, but I guess Wolves are still into carying 17 wings or Blazers don't want him.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

Two firsts and a second for Batum? What?
I agree its a bad move.

They have to try something after Love came out going all Dwight Howard on the Wolves, but I don't think this move is it. They need to try to find something better.

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts

It's insanity. I mean the Lakers paid two firsts and two seconds for ****ing Steve Nash, and those picks will be five spots lower than Minnesota's. Just dumb.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

It's insanity. I mean the Lakers paid two firsts and two seconds for Steve Nash, and those picks will probably be five spots lower than Minnesota's. Just dumb.
Happens every year.

Not much out there for options for them though.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts

It's not a terrible deal. If Minny makes the playoffs with this roster and is able to retain Love because of the fact that he's happy to be playing in May, is it really that awful? Sometimes teams have to overpay.

But I also like Batum. So there's that.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts

So the alternative would be...have Portland match and watch capspace play during the season? Batum is a good add for them. A guy who defends, runs the court and does not need the ball but has some range on his J. Plus he is young enough to grow into his contract.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

So the alternative would be...have Portland match and watch capspace play during the season? Batum is a good add for them. A guy who defends, runs the court and does not need the ball but has some range on his J. Plus he is young enough to grow into his contract.
Agreed with both sides. Its a lot to give up for Batum, but at the same time there's also not much out there for options and they need to improve or Love is going to Dwight'em.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Getting Batum and keeping Derrick Williams would have to be considered a coup for this young team. I have no problem with this at all.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts

You know, I think Batum is becoming a little overhyped, but the more I think about it, this is a fair deal. First rounders aren't guaranteed to become useful players, so if you trade two mid to late picks for a known starter who could be a say, Luol Deng, then its an even swap.

Minny has nice young players w/ Rubio, Budinger, Batum, Love, Williams, Wes Johnson, Barea. They need to start consolidating, package Johnson, Williams for a shooting guard or center.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

They need to start consolidating, package Johnson, Williams for a shooting guard or center.
No doubt.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts