Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Los Angeles Clippers have engaged in trade discussions to bring Lamar Odom back to the L.A. team that drafted him, according to sources close to the situation.

Yet the deal, sources said, could hinge on the willingness of a third team to take on the contract of Clippers veteran guard Mo Williams, which would allow the Dallas Mavericks to send Odom to the Clippers with no significant money coming back to the Mavericks.

With a Friday deadline looming for the Dallas Mavericks to buy out the final year of Odom's contract for $2.4 million, Mavs officials have green-lighted Odom's agent, Jeff Schwartz, to try to find a new home for Odom this week via trade. The Mavericks and Schwartz have also discussed pushing the deadline back into July if an Odom trade can't be struck before Friday.

The Mavericks' interest in an Odom deal, though, is purely to gain financial flexibility, which likely necessitates a third team to take on Williams. If no trade can be struck, either this week or before an adjusted deadline, Dallas is expected to eventually buy Odom out and make him a free agent, with big-market teams such as Miami and New York also planning to pursue him in that scenario.

Although Williams is a former All-Star and still a valuable contributor at 29, Dallas has little need for him given its long-planned pursuits of marquee free agents Deron Williams and Steve Nash and its oft-stated desire to bring back championship-winning point guard Jason Kidd when free agency starts Sunday at 12:01 a.m.

The Mavericks are one of two finalists, along with the Brooklyn Nets, for Dallas-area native Deron Williams and have long planned to pursue the re-signing of Nash -- who left Dallas for Phoenix in the summer of 2004 -- in the event Deron Williams decides to stay with the Nets.

Mo Williams has maintained all season that he plans to exercise his $8.5 million player option for the 2012-13 season despite the fact that the Clippers have Chris Paul and promising youngster Eric Bledsoe at point guard and want to bring back veteran guard Chauncey Billups, even after the 35-year-old suffered a season-ending Achilles injury.

Yet it remains to be seen whether Williams will hold to that stance. He has until June 30 to make that decision and his agent, Mark Bartelstein, recently told ESPNLosAngeles.com that he and the Clippers were "kind of exploring everything" to find the best solution.

"Mo's a professional and I think he showed that last season," Bartelstein said. "He had a great year under difficult circumstances. That said, he's a starting point guard. He's an All-Star starting point guard. So we'll look at everything and see what makes sense."

Sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday that one team to express interest in Williams is the Los Angeles Lakers, who still have a trade exception big enough to absorb Williams' contract that they created when they dealt Odom to Dallas.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story...gaged-dallas-mavericks-trade-talks-lamar-odom

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Re: Sources: Clippers eye Lamar Odom

I think this makes a lot of sense for both parties. Lamar gets to go back to LA without having to be a Laker again, and the Clippers get a versatile 6'10" big man who can also play time at SF. It would allow the Clippers to go very big at times too with Lamar at SF, Blake at PF, and Jordan at C. Even if Lamar and Blake aren't the most imposing defensive player, that's a lot of size and athleticism to matchup with.

·
do better
41,522 Posts

I feel like he's that vet that everyone will be after but the team he goes to will be disappointed

Is he even back together? It wasn't just the Lakers trade eating at him

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts

LO has never been put together right. No one can even guess where his head is going to be. I guess you get him on the cheap and hope it's not up his ass.

·
do better
41,522 Posts

Nah ever since Miami he's been on point and motivated. He caught shit from people who expected more than what he ever was going to offer but those lazy stoner days are long gone...or I thought they were until this year

·
Registered
44 Posts

I think LO could be a lot happier being back in LA and it's def worth the risk to take a punt on him. IF he can get back to the Laker LO then it makes the Clip-show a real threat in the West.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts

The only time Lamar has ever been motivated for an entire season was the 2011 season. He was sparingly engaged whenever Bynum was injured and he had to step into a bigger role in years past but there has only been one year where he put it all together. Now that he's not so comfortably on the wrong side of 30 and coming off of the worst season of his career, I'd say he's probably not going to be a major factor. And he definitely does not address a need for the Clippers. As big brother this trade does not even remotely worry me.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Re: Update: Clippers acquire Lamar Odom in 3 way

LO doesnt address a need for the Clippers? Did you watch us at all last season? Im not saying LO is the saving grace, or anything close to it, but we needed a backup SF and a stretch 4 in the worst way. Thats exactly what LO is.

Also, this move allows the Clippers to use the MLE and Bi on some other pressing needs in free agency, instead of using to sign Odom.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts

Lamar can barely play the 3 at this stage and he isn't even that good of a shooter. What you guys need is a shooting guard, not a washed up power forward to spot Blake for 10 minutes a game.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

Lamar can barely play the 3 at this stage and he isn't even that good of a shooter. What you guys need is a shooting guard, not a washed up power forward to spot Blake for 10 minutes a game.
People are remember Odom when he was awesome, and not the player he is today.

The Clips should focus on Mayo.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts

He doesnt have to be that good of a shooter, playing him at the 4 and Blake at the 5 stretches the floor, which is exactly what the Clippers need. Everyone remembers the Clippers ran out Jordan, Evans and Martin next to Blake right?

Yeah, the Clippers need a SG, which they are targeting with the MLE, but they really needed a big who can stretch the floor, which is exactly what Odom does, plus he can play spot minutes behind Caron (something we didnt have last year either).

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts

I don't understand this trade from the Clippers' side. Williams shot light out last season and you trade him for a guy who got kicked off his team?

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts

I don't understand this trade from the Clippers' side. Williams shot light out last season and you trade him for a guy who got kicked off his team?
So crazy. I completely agree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts