Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Suns have $23 million in salary-cap space but are trying to retain space for other pursuits, which appears to include a large offer to restricted free agent Eric Gordon. New Orleans traded Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza this week to create more salary-cap space, and new owner Tom Benson is expected to want to match an offer for the shooting guard. Gordon could command at least $12 million annually.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...pheonix-suns-nears-its-end.html#ixzz1zIA4arSt

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts
Re: Suns to pursue Eric Gordon

Better be careful... I wouldn't go much further than 12 for Gordon. If we do that hopefully we move Warrick or Childress. Or both.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I'm not too high on EG as others are but shows me something. We'd definitely need to raise the price up if they really want him, so NO don't match. But I do think we'd need to make another move so we'd have to do something else.

I think Chill is getting amnestied.

All in all, probably a long shot.

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts

Yeah I don't think it is the end of the world if we don't get Gordon.

Great teams aren't built through FA, and with our luck Gordon my sway Nash into coming back and we win 41 games next year.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

We got a visit.

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard

Eric Gordon will visit Indiana Sunday, Houston Monday & Phoenix Tuesday. He will also meet with Portland & perhaps Charlotte & Dallas.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I know. New MAX is 4-yr/$58M Starting at 12.9M I believe.

If the team wants him, they have the money to spend. I'll take the Suns just actually doing something for once.

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts

I would be OK with this and letting Nash go away... while looking to move our other dead weight.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts

It's always good to lock up a future all star wing while you can, and considering the Suns' position I would definitely look to sign him even if it mean overpaying a little. Gotta start the rebuild somewhere.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Eric Gordon signs 4-yr/$58M MAX offer sheet from PHX

Sounds like NO will match though.

Restricted free agent Eric Gordon, a stellar shooting guard, committed to signing a maximum-level offer sheet with the Suns Tuesday night.

The Suns can sign Gordon to the offer sheet on July 11. New Orleans would then have three days to match the offer and retain him and are expected to do so.

"After visiting the Suns, the impression the organization made on me was incredible," Gordon said in a prepared statement. "Mr. Sarver, Lon Babby, Lance Blanks, the front office staff and Coach Gentry run a first-class organization, and I strongly feel they are the right franchise for me. Phoenix is just where my heart is now."

A maximum contract was expected to be worth $58 million over four years for Gordon, who is 23.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...nt-eric-gordon-offer-sheet.html#ixzz1zceOO4Yt

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
It boils down to how badly Gordon wants out. If we can force his way out and we can get some sort of sign and trade that would be great but we are at their mercy. They don't have to deal with us. I would love to see Gordon and dragic as our starting backcourt. And I'm not even high on Gordon. I'm just excited to see our team doing something for once

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Re: Update: Eric Gordon to sign 4-yr/$58M MAX offer sheet from PHX

If there's any chance of getting him, then you guys need to get him. Especially now that y'all have actual pieces in place (Dragic, Bease, etc.). I think that NO will match, but what about a sign and trade for Gortat? Davis isn't ready to play the 5 at the pro level and Marcin does not provide anything especially valuable to a young, exciting, but ultimately rebuilding Suns team. I think it's a win-win for both sides.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts

If there's any chance of getting him, then you guys need to get him. Especially now that y'all have actual pieces in place (Dragic, Bease, etc.). I think that NO will match, but what about a sign and trade for Gortat? Davis isn't ready to play the 5 at the pro level and Marcin does not provide anything especially valuable to a young, exciting, but ultimately rebuilding Suns team. I think it's a win-win for both sides.
I love the idea... if Austin Rivers can actually play at the NBA level. Maybe we save that one for the trade deadline.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts

From the NO perspective I agree. But apparently they believe in Rivers seeing as they drafted him in the top 10. They may know something that we haven't seen yet.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Sorry but no thanks to sending gortat to Noh. If Gordon is serious about telling the hornets to not match then in no way should we be sending such a valuable player to.them when their hand is being forced. They can have warrick and a one of our newly acquired firsts if they'd like

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yeah, Gorat won't be headed there.

They'll want Lopez, Marshall w/pick, maybe something from LAL trade.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts

I'm pretty sure the Hornets just want Gordon. Sign-and-trade is not likely.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

No kidding but they won't want him if he don't want them.

We'll see. I was just saying the prospect of them doing S/T deal anyway.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

He's taking it to the media

:clap:

Paul didn't want to be in New Orleans any longer, either, and Gordon suggested if the Hornets match the Suns' offer and retain him, they'd be looking at a similar situation. The four-year offer from the Suns, a source said, includes a player option on the fourth year.

"Phoenix just showed a lot more interest, overall, and definitely in how they negotiated," Gordon said. "I don't know what New Orleans' plans are for me. There are no negotiations right now."

That the Hornets drafted Duke guard Austin Rivers with the 10th pick also makes Gordon question exactly what their plans are for him.

"They drafted another shooting guard, a combo guard like me, which tells me they have another plan," Gordon said.

The Suns' recent committments -- point guard Goran Dragic and small forward Michael Beasley -- are a better fit, Gordon suggested.

"Phoenix signed two other young guys that are very talented," he said. "They're already established and they're already going to get better."
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8...uns-more-committed-future-new-orleans-hornets

·
Registered
7,213 Posts

Eric is sounding more and more like a whiny little kid, at this point I dont give two shits what happens with him. The hornets showed him "love" by offering him a 50+ million dollar contract midseason even with him riding the pine from an injury. Obviously indy and houston werent willing to offer a max contract when they met with him the past week, but since the suns showed him the money hes gotten a raging semi. It was stated that the plan was to have rivers at the point in due time, hes just butthurt that the hornets went with someone they thought was bpa available at 10 and happens to play the same position (and actually wants to play for new orleans no less).

1 - 20 of 79 Posts