Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@WojYahooNBA: The Maloofs are finalizing an agreement to sell the Sacramento Kings to the Hansen-Ballmer led Seattle group, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.
Seattle deserves a team.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Re: Maloofs selling Kings

This is fantastic news! I'm pumped for the city of Seattle... as long as they get rid of all their players.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

@WojYahooNBA: The Seattle group's plans, with support of the NBA, is to play two seasons in Key Arena before moving into a new Seattle arena, sources say.

·
Registered
283 Posts

The Key Arena is fine I mean for watching basketball it is a great place the seats are stacked high so you always have a good view. They just don't have all the restaurants and parking garages and bars the NBA wants them to have. I mean the 96 finals were played there it is a good place to play. However a new stadium next to the Football and Baseball stadiums would rule!

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts

@dailythunder
Clay Bennett owns the SuperSonics name and logo, but under the settlement, agreed to turn it over to a new Seattle owner at no cost.

·
King George
11,475 Posts

The Key Arena is fine I mean for watching basketball it is a great place the seats are stacked high so you always have a good view. They just don't have all the restaurants and parking garages and bars the NBA wants them to have. I mean the 96 finals were played there it is a good place to play. However a new stadium next to the Football and Baseball stadiums would rule!
Somebody's been watching SonicsGate

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts

Unfortunate for Kings fans, they really show up and support the team when the product is watchable.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts

Since the Kings/Royals franchise is being abandoned, I wonder who picks it up?
Very good point...an original franchise nickname is being abandoned. Sad day in that regard, but happy for the city of Seattle.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Re: Maloofs selling Kings; will likely become the Seattle SuperSonics

I would love to see a new GM get in there and clean house. I'd hate to see that franchise is Seattle continuing to play selfish basketball with no chance of contending for years to come.

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts

Since the Kings/Royals franchise is being abandoned, I wonder who picks it up?
I would think Hansen would own the name and trademarks for the franchise for the time being. If a team is looking to take up the name again in Sacramento I could see him relinquishing the name and trademarks just like Clay Bennett did with the SuperSonics.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Kansas City is the next logical destination for a franchise and they already have Royals.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts

Memphis Kings?

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts

In a related area, would it make sense to do a division realignment out West to address to ridiculous Northwest Division (which won't include the most Northwestern team anymore)? Something like Seattle, Portland, and the Cali teams in the Pacific; Phoenix, Utah, and the Texas teams in the Southwest; and New Orleans, Memphis, Minny, and Denver in whatever you want to call it? (Midwest Division?)

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts

Seattle's rank in attendance;

07 - 25th
06 - 23rd
05 - 21st
04 - 23rd
03 - 20th
02 - 21st

Tough to say Seattle "deserves" a team