Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@mcten: The Lakers plan to reach out to the Chicago Bulls for permission to interview Tom Thibodeau, a league source tells http://t.co/8DsJGhr2Pi
@LakersNation: In addition to Calipari and Ollie, Lakers will interview George Karl, Jeff Van Gundy, Byron Scott, and Kurt Rambis. http://t.co/e0UZ9zZE5I
Figure I'd make this thread. Can a mod merge this with the Fisher thread??

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Re: Coaching Search Thread.

Mark Jackson lives in LA. Mark Jackson is beefing with warriors mangement. Hmmm

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
14,165 Posts

Los Angeles Lakers’ coaching search to field both high-profile and wild-card candidates

(...)

Among the ones with extensive NBA coaching experience include George Karl, Jeff Van Gundy, former Lakers forward Byron Scott, Lakers assistant Kurt Rambis and former Lakers and Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy. There are high-profile college basketball coaches (Kentucky’s John Calipari and Connecticut’s Kevin Ollie). There are some potential wild cards. There is former Lakers guard Derek Fisher, though he currently plays for Oklahoma City. There is also Ettore Messina, who served as a consultant under former Lakers coach Mike Brown during the 2011-12 season and has had success coaching overseas in Europe.
http://www.chatsports.com/los-angeles-lakers/a/Los-Angeles-Lakers-coaching-search-to-field-both-highprofile-and-wildcard-candidates-0-9762107

Ettore Messina? WTF??

·
Registered
14,165 Posts

Should Los Angeles Lakers Go All-in on Tom Thibodeau as Next Head Coach?

"The Lakers have lost talent, lost stability, lost what separates winning and losing franchises. Bryant won't pick the next coach, the way he had no input into Mike Brown and little into D'Antoni. Bryant will wish for Tom Thibodeau to free himself from Chicago. He loves Jeff Van Gundy, and shares management's affinity for Euro legend Ettore Messina, who spent a season on Mike Brown's staff."

"Thibodeau and the Bulls have had a bit of a tense relationship at times, with issues with the front office about his assistant coaching staff. Thibodeau is obviously a brilliant coaching mind that can make the most of a depleted roster, but would be in for a completely new challenge in Los Angeles with the rebuilding Lakers.

It's pretty obvious the Lakers' search with be expansive, as they look all over for Mike D'Antoni's replacement. They will likely take their time, waiting until free agency to make a final decision, but if Thibodeau is interested, the Lakers may have their home run hire right in front of them already."
http://www.chatsports.com/los-angeles-lakers/a/Should-Los-Angeles-Lakers-Go-Allin-on-Tom-Thibodeau-as-Next-Head-Coach-1-9761344

It's a pipe dream, cause Thibs is under contract with the Bulls (who i bet won't release him).
Off course, a coach who excells at the defensive end would probably alienate @Jamel Irief...

·
Registered
14,165 Posts

Does Kobe Bryant Attract or Repel Potential LA Lakers Coaching Candidates?

The first 24 hours of the post-D'Antoni era have been rife with rumors about the next Lakers' head coach. The team has even asked the Chicago Bulls permission to speak to defensive mastermind Tom Thibodeau, per the Chicago Tribune. Until they select D'Antoni's successor, the Lakers will be linked to every single big-name head coach still drawing breath.

And why shouldn't it be this way? They have tradition, they have drawing power, they have a high pick in the 2014 draft. Most importantly, they still employ one of the 10 greatest players in NBA history in shooting guard Kobe Bryant. Any coach worth his salt should consider himself lucky to helm this franchise.

But ESPN Radio host Ryen Russillo has heard differently. According to his source, not only are the Lakers a poor option for a marquee coach, but Bryant himself is the reason why:
http://www.chatsports.com/los-angeles-lakers/a/Does-Kobe-Bryant-Attract-or-Repel-Potential-LA-Lakers-Coaching-Candidates-1-9762773

I admit it should be a concern that if the Lakers aren't winning (and they most certainly won't win enough next season) Kobe will throw the coach under the bus. But is this really a strong deterrent for a coach?

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

Because he preaches defense?
Did I ever, once in my 12 years on this site, say I don't like coaches that preach defense or anything CLOSE to that?

I took it easy on you because I thought it might be a language barrier or you're old and have bad memory or something, but stop attributing quotes to me I never said. First you thought I loved small ball and hated Chris Kaman, now apparently I hate coaches that preach defense? Knock it off and get back to crowning NBA champions in January.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts

Did I ever, once in my 12 years on this site, say I don't like coaches that preach defense or anything CLOSE to that?

I took it easy on you because I thought it might be a language barrier or you're old and have bad memory or something, but stop attributing quotes to me I never said. First you thought I loved small ball and hated Chris Kaman, now apparently I hate coaches that preach defense? Knock it off and get back to crowning NBA champions in January.
looool. Temper, temper, Chubby :naughty:

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

looool. Temper, temper, Chubby :naughty:
:mad:

I feel like you will when you'll watch Ronaldo and Portugal choke this year in the world cup.

Reactions: DaRizzle

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

@LakersNation: Well, it looks like the Lakers are planing on talking to North Carolina’s Roy Williams. Interesting. http://t.co/ednS2w37mT
Not too familiar with Roy Williams coaching style. Can someone elaborate a bit?? I know he's a HOF coach and that he's a Dean Smith disciple but that's about it.

·
Getting Buckets
712 Posts

I'm curious what's with all the college coaching love. And I'm more curious why anyone thinks a roster that looks like ours would be appealing to people that have it made for life on campus like Coach K, Cal, or R. Williams. I don't care if it is the Lakers. No way those guys leave.

Oh and Woj and Sam Ammick just reported Mark Jackson has been officially fired. Add him to my list, for sure.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

I'd rather not have drama between the coach and front office, but if that isn't likely here Jackson would be ok.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts

I'm curious what's with all the college coaching love. And I'm more curious why anyone thinks a roster that looks like ours would be appealing to people that have it made for life on campus like Coach K, Cal, or R. Williams. I don't care if it is the Lakers. No way those guys leave.

Oh and Woj and Sam Ammick just reported Mark Jackson has been officially fired. Add him to my list, for sure.
I was wandering about it myself.
It's not that the Lakers' roster isn't apealing (it's certainly not), but considering the hard season(s) ahead, wouldn't it be contraproducent (?) to sign a totally unproven NBA coach?

·
Registered
14,165 Posts

In an appearance on ESPN’s Mike and Mike, Chris Broussard says Kobe Bryant and Scott has been talking over the past few weeks leading to more speculation about his potential hiring by the team:

“Very close with Kobe Bryant. I know that those two have been in contact in the past few weeks and actually have talked about, you know, Kobe has talked to Byron Scott about some coaching type stuff.

“So, [Scott] certainly has an in with Kobe, but right now a lot of what you see is premature because the Lakers are nowhere near making a decision. I’m not even sure, I don’t even think, they’ve even contacted coaches they want to interview. They’re really taking their time with this. There’s no need to rush. They want to see how they do in the draft lottery. So I think right now you’re just seeing a lot of names thrown out there.”
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-kobe-bryant-byron-scott-in-contact-over-past-few-weeks/2014/05/07/

1 - 20 of 195 Posts