Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some relevant numbers concerning 3PT accuracy (or lack thereof, according to media hype), from KU's three starting guards for the entire season to date:

Keith Langford: 37%
JR Giddens: 36%
Aaron Miles: 30%

Not bad, not great, but pretty decent -- and their percentages are steadily increasing as the season progresses. Four or five weeks ago I said this was going to happen, but that really wasn't that much of a stretch prediction -- all one has to do is ignore the media hype/anti-hype ("KU can't shoot") and rely on objective analysis and intuition. :D

As for the conference season, we're almost a third of the way in, so I might as well post the trio's 3PT% numbers in conference thus far:

Keith Langford: 44%
JR Giddens: 46%
Aaron Miles: 42%

I haven't checked yet, but this probably leads the league as far as starting guard duos/trios go, and might lead the country as well.

"KU can't shoot"....yeah, whatever. They just needed time to figure out the offense...and they're only halfway there.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
I heard on the tube yesterday, KU is acutally hitting around 40% 3pt in Confernce play

·
The Bilson = Jayhawk Love
6,884 Posts
well that is a surprise, it is a help.

Some of the surprises have been Miles hitting a three that has not hit iron in three straight games (might be longer, but only have seen the last 5 or 6 games)

I am glad that Giddens can hit from there.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Other notable observations:

Aaron Miles is averaging 10.0 points, 9.6 assists and 5.0 rebounds per game in conference.

As a team, Kansas is shooting 38% from behind the arc, while opponents are shooting 28%.

Jeff Graves is following the same pattern as last year: slow start, external stimulus (Simien's injury last year, suspension this year), steady improvement throughout the rest of the season. Graves is putting up some nice numbers over the last six or seven games.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Well regardless of numbers, Miles just can't shoot. We all know that, but I don't think 33-36 for the season would be too unreasonable. But Giddens and especially Langford have just improved their strokes tremendously. If only Simien would go ahead and grow 4 inches.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>ill subliminal</b>!
But Giddens and especially Langford have just improved their strokes tremendously.
Giddens has always been money from long range. He's just getting smarter about when and where to take shots, thus his increased accuracy.

Langford has never been a bad shooter...he's just starting to find his confidence and rhythm far away from the basket as opposed to only slashing towards it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I dunno. It seems to me that Langford has been working on his shot midseason. Especially because at the beginning of the year there were lots of quotes from him about how he thought he should play more to driving and slashing so he didn't practice 3 pointers too much. I think Langford has probably put in some time at the gym.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts