Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Lakers are moving quickly toward hiring Phil Jackson as their next coach, with one person in the organization calling it a "95%" chance he will return for a third tour with the team.

The Lakers plan on meeting with Jackson on Saturday morning to make sure he is interested in the job. The unknown 5% in their equation is the chance Jackson doesn't want to fill the vacancy created by the Friday firing of Mike Brown, either because of health reasons or other unknown issues.

The team realized a slew of things stemming from the 101-77 Lakers' victory Friday over Golden State, primarily that the players wanted Jackson and fans wanted him too, in case their second-half chants of his name weren't enough of a tipoff.

Ultimately, Lakers management wants Jackson too. It's just a matter of where Jackson stands right now. People who have spoken with him in recent weeks say he enjoys his life away from the game but is also intrigued by the Lakers' roster and the opportunity to return to the only franchise he has known since 1999.

Jackson left the Lakers after the 2010-11 season, and at least one prominent player said he wanted a chance at redemption on Jackson's behalf.

"The one thing that's kind of always bothered me is that in his last year I wasn't able to give him my normal self," Kobe Bryant said Friday night. "I was playing on one leg and that's kind of always eaten away at me. The last year of his career I wasn't able to give him all I had.

"He's too great of a coach to have it go out that way. That's my personal sentiment. I took it to heart because I couldn't give it everything I had because I physically couldn't. My knee was shot. That's always bothered me."
http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...ate-for-coaching-job-20121110,0,6329436.story

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Re: Lakers say 95% chance Phil Jackson will return

There are too many coaching related threads. Someone merge them.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

No need to merge them. One is about Mike Brown getting fired. One is asking who we want as the next coach. And this one is saying it's likely to be Phil.

·
First Round Draft Pick
1,124 Posts

I hope they also bring back Shaw as Phil's protoge. Taking over for aways games so as not to strain the Zen Master from the trips. :gopray:

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts

No need to merge them. One is about Mike Brown getting fired. One is asking who we want as the next coach. And this one is saying it's likely to be Phil.
We also don't celebrate Division titles. It's a coaching thread, not small victories.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I hope they also bring back Shaw as Phil's protoge. Taking over for aways games so as not to strain the Zen Master from the trips. :gopray:
I don't know that Shaw even wants to return to the Lakers after the way they treated him (meaning the fact they didn't give him the head coaching job). I think he wants to stay put in Indiana until another head coaching vacancy opens up that better suits him.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

What a great weekend!

·
First Round Draft Pick
1,124 Posts

I don't know that Shaw even wants to return to the Lakers after the way they treated him (meaning the fact they didn't give him the head coaching job). I think he wants to stay put in Indiana until another head coaching vacancy opens up that better suits him.
Yeah. If my memory serves me right, he was butthurt back then when he wasn't the one hired. I just hope he sucks it up and come back. :gopray:

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

Sat back and waited for another super team to be handed to him.

What a piece of shit.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't read anything on Twitter that it's done.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts

What a piece of shit.
dude wins championships. you want a bum coaching your team or someone that wins

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

What a piece of shit.
Not his fault Mike Brown sucks and can't coach star players.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts

Will be incredible if it happens.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts

What a piece of shit.
And when he's handed a super team he produces. Not sure what's wrong with that.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts