Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The injury Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger suffered to his throwing shoulder Monday night could be pretty significant, one that could take a while to heal, a source close to the team said.

Roethlisberger is "extremely sore" Tuesday morning and "hurting pretty bad," the source said. After getting an MRI on Monday night, he went for another MRI on Tuesday.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin then characterized Roethlisberger's injury as a shoulder sprain at his news conference Tuesday.

"Obviously, his injury puts his participation in the questionable category," Tomlin said.

Tomlin described Roethlisberger's shoulder injury as an "SC sprain." The sternoclavicular (SC) joint helps to support the shoulder, linking the bones of the arms and shoulder to the body, according to orthogate.com. Roethlisberger's shoulder injury is still being evaluated.

A source confirmed to ESPN that Roethlisberger also has a rib injury that occurred on the same play. The source said it remains unknown how long the quarterback might be unable to play with the injury to the front of his throwing shoulder.

Another Steelers source told ESPN that the team's staff was told: "proceed with (backup quarterback Byron (Leftwich). It doesn't look like you're going to have Ben this week. We're looking at next week as a possibility as of right now."

It seemed highly unusual and perhaps an indication of the seriousness of the injury that Roethlisberger went from the stadium to the hospital for an MRI on his right shoulder so late Monday night and remained there past midnight.

A source who was with Roethlisberger on Monday night told ESPN that doctors informed the quarterback they wanted further evaluations and that a complete diagnosis wouldn't be available until later Tuesday.

The Steelers have a short week to prepare for the archrival Baltimore Ravens, their opponents in two of the next three weeks and the AFC North leaders.

The Steelers have two veteran backup quarterbacks in Leftwich and Charlie Batch -- neither of whom has played much recently because of their own injuries, and because Roethlisberger has been so durable.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8626611/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-qb-a-source-says

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Re: Source: Steelers' QB Roethlisberger may have significant injury, could be out while

They're in trouble. Byron will end up on IR after 2 games, and Charlie Batch is ancient.

Maybe this was just a let down game because they play Baltimore next, but the offensive line reverted back to their sucky early season form.

They stole this game because the Chiefs are the worst team in football. They can't beat anybody else if they play offense like they did with Byron last night. The defense has to get start getting sacks and turnovers.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
Re: Source: Steelers' QB Roethlisberger may have significant injury, could be out while

I've always liked Leftwich (just not on my team), but I kinda agree about the IR thing.

They would've lost if the KC kicker didn't miss a FG, which was like a 30+ yarder. But then again, how many games has Matt Cassel thrown away? Pioli's sitting there watching his job being physically thrown away with those incompletes.

Steelers went from a big + to a big ?

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Wednesday the sprained right shoulder that was the immediate concern isn’t his biggest worry.

Roethlisberger told reporters he also dislocated a rib Monday night, and that doctors were concerned it could cut into his aorta. He said he didn’t think it was a season-ending injury, but when you start talking about an aorta, this clearly goes beyond the “rub some dirt on it” treatment.

“I don’t think so, I don’t know though but I’m not a medical expert,” Roethlisberger said, via the Associated Press. “I just know I’m going to do what I can to get back.”

Roethlisberger said he’s still in serious pain, pegging it as “nine on a scale of 1-10.”

He said he’s slept a total of four hours over the last two nights, and wore a sling to talk to reporters because doctors don’t want the rib jostled out of place while it heals.

“I can move [the arm] around, that’s not the issue,” Roethlisberger said. “Sometimes when I do move it the rib will kind of pop out of place again, which is pretty painful. I just try to keep it as still as I can for the most part.”

The Steelers announced earlier in the day that Byron Leftwich would start this week, and from the sounds of things, perhaps longer.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/14/roethlisberger-shoulder-not-the-biggest-worry/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts