Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Webb injury hurts a lot but I feel OK about it with Jimmy Smith and Cary Williams. May be the end for Ray but he's looked worst I've seen him in his career. May be his time.

I also guess, I'm not down on it, cuz the defense sucked as it is - it's all about the offense this yr. They were gonna ride or die with Joe and Rice regardless. And it's a weak field in AFC.

The Baltimore Ravens improved to 5-1 on Sunday but lost way more than they gained as coach John Harbaugh confirmed Monday that both linebacker Ray Lewis and cornerback Lardarius Webb will miss the remainder of the season.

Lewis suffered a "full tear" of his triceps muscle, Harbaugh said while a torn ACL has ended Webb's year.

Webb banged his knee in a first-quarter collision with Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant. Webb remained prone on the field for several minutes before being helped to the sideline.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8509069/ray-lewis-lardarius-webb-baltimore-ravens-season

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Re: Ravens' Lewis, Webb both out for season

I just don't see the Ravens as a Super Bowl team now. Those are two huge blows.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts

Webb injury is huge, and even though Lewis is a bit more replaceable schematically he still brings a lot to the team that goes beyond what he does during the games. These injuries are a pretty big deal for the Ravens defense, who already looked like a shell of their former selves. Certainly not a kiss of death, they're still going to win some games, but these types of injuries are what cost you playoff games.

·
do better
41,522 Posts

I don't know where this narrative is coming from. I know he's old as ever, but I just don't see Ray Lewis squeaking out because of an injury.

·
Last Winter Was The Coldest
2,594 Posts

"Although Coach John Harbaugh said Monday that Lewis was out for the year, Baltimore on Wednesday placed him on injured reserve with the designated-to-return tag.

Lewis, who tore his right triceps Sunday and was scheduled to have surgery Wednesday, will be eligible to return in six weeks.

“There’s an opportunity, and we’re going to keep the door open,” Harbaugh said."

It's Ray Lewis, the guy should be back this season. And BMore's got Sizzle returning soon (either this week which is a bit more unlikely as of now, or the week after.)

I still see Baltimore as a legit threat in the AFC, especially after seeing the Pack put the spanking on the Texans and the Pats not being the Pats this year.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts

I don't know where this narrative is coming from. I know he's old as ever, but I just don't see Ray Lewis squeaking out because of an injury.
He's not playing at the level he's accustomed to playing, he can't do what he used to. Having a season ending injury, though I agree it doesn't guarantee he's out for good, makes the next logical progression retirement.

·
do better
41,522 Posts

Logical? Not with Ray Lewis it doesn't make it likely at all. He's too prideful. I would actually be surprised if he retired.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Ngata is playing with a torn MCL too. Good thing Suggs is supposed to be back soon. They're still the favorites in the AFC North IMHO.

--
Also in their favor is that the Steelers are a complete joke on defense this year. Old, injury prone, and Ike Taylor has been getting exposed for the overrated corner that he is.

Cincy is also far from a sure thing to play well week in and week out.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts

Logical? Not with Ray Lewis it doesn't make it likely at all. He's too prideful. I would actually be surprised if he retired.
Decisions based on logic and decisions based on pride are generally not the same decision. So yes, logically speaking, at his age (37) with his declining skills suffering a season ending injury to your arm probably means the end.

You asked where the narrative came from, I'm just pointing out how obvious it is.

·
do better
41,522 Posts

Logical to you, or in general, but not in Ray Lewis' case.

The narrative doesn't make sense if they really know the kind of person Ray Lewis is.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts

@AdamSchefter
Ray Lewis announced he is retiring at the end of the season.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts

I might actually watch it when he gives his induction speech. Have to think it'll be awesome.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Wow. I thought he'd give it another season after having it cut short.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
This is damn near heartbreaking. I WAS rooting for the Colts just due to living here...but now Im leaning Baltimore.

I wonder if Ed Reed will follow suit.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
I did hear some rumblings that they were thinking of letting Ray go in the offseason due to his backup playing so well in his absence so I wonder if that had anything to do with his decision.

But anyways, I think he'll go down as one of the best leaders in all of sports and it's going to be sad seeing him go.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They would never do that to him regardless of how terrible he was this yr - after all he's given them and done for them.

Sadly, it's time though and I think he knows it.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Great player, but I'm so sick of the "everything I say is profound because I'm Ray Lewis" schtick... don't let the door hit you on the way out.

That and the intro to madden this year where I have to hit start 30 times just to avoid hearing a guy who was all-american on high school, on scholarship at the U, a butkus award winner and first round draft pick go on about how everyone always doubted him and told him he was too small and blah blah blah...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts