Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The New York Jets, fresh off an exhaustive hunt for new general manager John Idzik, will explore options to deal star corner Darrelle Revis this offseason, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Revis, whose contract voids after the 2014 season, is set to earn $6 million in 2013 (between salary and bonuses), and owner Woody Johnson has strong reservations about the ability to extend Revis's deal, the sources said. Johnson has expressed his desire to attempt to land value for Revis now, rather than risk losing him as an unrestricted free agent a year from now, most likely seeking as much draft-pick compensation for him as possible.

The Jets are very much in transition mode, they have cap issues moving forward and are trying to embark on a rebuilding process after firing former long-time general manager Mike Tannenbaum. Revis, who missed almost all of last season after suffering a torn ACL, engaged in a long holdout in 2010 that resulted in a contract extension that was more of a Band-Aid than anything else.

Revis signed a seven-year deal then that voids to a four-year pact, thus making him an unrestricted free agent after the 2013 season. The deal also precludes him being hit with the franchise tag or any other such mechanism. Johnson has made it very clear he would like to pursue a means to reap rewards for Revis now, sources said, and it is likely to be an immediate part of Idzik's initial job duties.

Revis is considered by many to be the best defensive player in the game. And with pass rusher Mario Williams earning $60 million guaranteed from Buffalo a year ago, Johnson understands how financially restrictive it would be to retain Revis. His team desperately needs young, cheap, impact players to help reposition the team for the future, with 2013 a year of transition.

Revis is the only real trading chip that he has. Knee injury or not, there would be no shortage of teams interested in securing his services and no shortage of rebuilding teams sitting on massive cap space in 2013. The Jets are also likely to be hard-pressed to retain free agents like tight end Dustin Keller, running back Shonn Greene and defensive tackle Mike DeVito, though they will make a push to retain DeVito, sources said.

Getting Revis signed to an extension would be a possibility to remedy this situation, but the sources said Johnson has established his desire to move the star corner if he can secure fair value in exchange.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/j...ody-johnson-to-explore-trading-darrelle-revis

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Re: Jets to explore trading CB Darrelle Revis

Damn whoever their GM is has a lot of shit to deal with. It'd be one hell of a trick to fix that team in one off season, especially when there just isn't a solution to the Sanchez problem that doesn't somehow make things worse.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts

It worth a shot. There is a lot this team needs

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts

Im sure we could all agree that revis would look best in green and gold

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts

Yeah, makes perfect sense to trade the best corner in the league, open up a new huge hole and try to fill other spots when that is far from a sure thing. What do they think are teams going to give up in exchange for Revis, two first rounders? Not gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Upset Revis says he'd like answers

Darrelle Revis has been listening, but he still hasn't heard anything from the New York Jets to make him feel confident that he'll be on the roster next season.

"No," Revis said in an interview taped last week in Arizona with NFL Network. "I don't know if they're doing that because they think that I'm not going to get back to 100 percent? I'm a Jet until they tell me I'm not a Jet."

The cornerback, who is rehabbing an ACL injury, gave support to the idea that team owner Woody Johnson might not want to pay him what he believes he is worth. Despite that, Revis reiterated that he wants to remain in New York.

"If I do get traded I'm not going to sit here and pout and cry," Revis said, "but I've told them numerous times that I want to be here so it's up to them and management what they want to do."

Revis tore his ACL on Sept. 23 against the Miami Dolphins. NFL Network has been following up with the cornerback on a regular basis as he rehabilitates the injured knee. The report aired Monday night and was taped after the fallout from John Idzik's first week as the team's new general manager at Jets headquarters in Florham Park, N.J.

In his first interview with reporters, Idzik did not deny reports that Revis could be traded, and said the cornerback would be evaluated like any other player on the roster.

"To me it was kind of rude because it was John Idzik's first day on the job," Revis said.

Revis tweeted that day that he was "speechless," and explained that was because Idzik hadn't even reached out to Revis beforehand.

"I was speechless because I didn't get a phone call," Revis said. "I know it's a business -- just call me; don't have it lingering out there. I need answers and I'm not getting any. Just the fact that that was put out there instead of contacting your best player on the team. If that's how you want to do business, then that's fine."

·
Registered
19,468 Posts

Can you say cap killer? Unless I was one good corner away from the trophy, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

No GM wants to bet his job on this guy's ACLs and cap numbers.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts

Can you say cap killer? Unless I was one good corner away from the trophy, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

No GM wants to bet his job on this guy's ACLs and cap numbers.
I would in the right situation.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

ACL injury isn't the same lethal injury it was either.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Adam Schefter

As @ProFootballTalk reported, Buccaneers are a potential landing spot for Jets CB Darrelle Revis.
‏@AdamSchefter

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Re: Update: Bucs, Jets talking Revis Trade

Revis update

Matt Evans ‏@melancer46

@KevinoNYC @WilliamsonNFL According to reports, Bucs are refusing to part with the 1st round pick. Offering this year's 2 OR next year's 1st

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts

Take next year's 1st and this years 4th and do the deal already. Bucs would do that, you still get to add a player, and you will have a bonus 1st (which is still easily tradeable for something in this draft). If you aren't going to pay him and you have to trade him, might as well try and cut a deal like that.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts

Yea I'd prefer to not dick around and just get a deal done. If it ends up taking the #13 pick this year then so be it, I'd still do it. They could be a very interesting team next year with Revis/Goldson in the mix.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Bucs losing interest in Revis

Bucs are close to losing interest.

The biggest takeaway from our first full day at the league meetings in Phoenix is that, with the Jets and Buccaneers taking strong opposing positions as to the trade value of one of the best defensive players in football, the Buccaneers are close to moving on. The belief is that the Jets want a package headlined by a first-round pick, and that the Buccaneers are willing to part with, at most, a 2014 first-round selection.

The Plan B remains Falcons cornerback Brent Grimes, who has drawn interest from the Dolphins and the Browns. The Bucs and Grimes are, we’re told, talking — and if/when the Buccaneers land the Falcons’ 2012 franchise player, the Bucs will be out of the Revis business.

Given the depressed cornerback market in free agency, the Jets may have a hard time finding another team willing to give up a 2013 first-round selection and pay Revis. At some point, the best move for Revis will be to spend the coming season showing that he is healthy, and hitting the free-agency market in 2014.

Many presume that the Jets would receive in 2015 a third-round compensatory selection for losing Revis next year. As Adam Schefter of ESPN points out, however, the Chargers got nothing for losing receiver Vincent Jackson in 2012. That’s because compensatory picks flow from net free-agency losses and signings. If the Jets sign enough other players in 2014, they’ll lose their shot at an extra pick at the bottom of round three the next year if/when Revis signs elsewhere.

More importantly, if they don’t trade Revis to a team that signs him to a long-term deal, the Jets could see him join the Patriots, Dolphins, or Bills. Or the Giants.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/19/bucs-losing-interest-in-revis/

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
Re: Update: Bucs losing interest in Revis Trade

This is gonna be really awkward now if he doesn't get traded.

Imagine if you give up a 1st, pay Revis, and he doesn't play next year. Yikes.

·
do better
41,522 Posts

Damn I wish we had the cap space to make one more splashy indulgence

I think this time it would work

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts

Major injury he is coming off of + the Jets trade demands + the ridiculous contract he is going to want = me not shocked by this

1 - 20 of 57 Posts