Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III has suffered partial tears to the anterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral ligament in his right knee, according to a report from The Washington Post.

Griffin, who entered Sunday's wild-card playoff game already nursing a previously sprained LCL in the same knee, appeared to tweak the knee on a pass attempt in the first quarter and then left the game in the fourth quarter after twisting his leg while attempting to recover a muffed shotgun snap.

Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan said in a news conference Monday that the results of the MRI are prompting the team to send Griffin to Florida on Tuesday to see renowned orthopedist James Andrews for more examinations, essentially a second opinion that will decide the team's fate for the 2013 season.

"There is a concern," Shanahan said. "That's why he's going to see him."

The Redskins are seeking a second opinion because it is possible the MRI could be showing previous knee injuries. Griffin suffered a torn ACL in his right knee while playing in college at Baylor in 2009.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/201...ii-washington-redskins-partially-tore-acl-lcl

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Re: Skins' QB RGIII suffered partial tears in ACL and already injured LCL

Well, well, well... the plot thickens.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts

jadande
"Shanahan said it was unclear whether Griffin would play in the Pro Bowl". OK let's make it clear: NOOOO!
What the ****...

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts

Griffin is dumb for playing while injured, but yet Ponder is a pussy for not playing injured. You can never win.

Anyways, hopefully RG3 bounces back. Most exciting player to enter the league in years.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts

Griffin isn't stupid for wanting to play, that's what coaches are for. He's a kid, his attitude is to be expected. With that said, he needs to stop this macho bullshit thinking he's invincible. The kid has to start sliding or his career is going to be over before the Redskins get another first round pick. Early in the year he boasted that if he gets taken off on a stretcher he'll roll off and get back in the game. No you won't.

Shanahan is a piece of shit.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts

Shanahan has a history of riding his QBs since Denver. FedEx Field has a history of getting players injured with its surface. Bad combo. Clemons also torn his ACL in that game.

Why do they say 'partial' tear? Is that supposed to sound better than 'torn ACL'?

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts

Griffin is dumb for playing while injured, but yet Ponder is a pussy for not playing injured. You can never win.

Anyways, hopefully RG3 bounces back. Most exciting player to enter the league in years.
I was telling a buddy of mine the same thing today. Nobody has better hindsight than sports fans. Christian Ponder is pussy, why couldn't he suck it up and play? An injured Ponder is better than a healthy Joe Webb and it was a playoff game. Of course the same people saying that were saying Ponder sucks and Webb is just as good before they actually watched Joe Webb go out there and make a mockery of NFL quarterbacking. Same thing for Jay Cutler a couple years ago, pussy (especially after they lost). But how irresponsible and reckless for Griffin to be out there playing, Cousins should've started! Somehow I think if Griffin had made a few more throws and the Redskins had won it wouldn't have been an issue, RGIII would be declared a warrior and toughing it out for the team in a playoff game.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts

It was clear to everyone watching the game other then Dre and Mike Shannahan that RGIII had no business being on the field as of the second quarter.

You cant blame a player for wanting to play in the biggest game of his career. Hell, he was pissed the team wouldnt let him play against the Browns the week after his injury occurrd. Its a teams responsibility to protect players from themselves. Shannahan just handicapped our franchise for the next four years. Typical Redskin shit

·
Registered
16,561 Posts

Why do they say 'partial' tear? Is that supposed to sound better than 'torn ACL'?
Well, it is. Partial tears are sprains and might only take 3 weeks to 2 months to fully heal. Fully tearing ligaments is a much worse injury.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts

I was telling a buddy of mine the same thing today. Nobody has better hindsight than sports fans. Christian Ponder is pussy, why couldn't he suck it up and play? An injured Ponder is better than a healthy Joe Webb and it was a playoff game. Of course the same people saying that were saying Ponder sucks and Webb is just as good before they actually watched Joe Webb go out there and make a mockery of NFL quarterbacking. Same thing for Jay Cutler a couple years ago, pussy (especially after they lost). But how irresponsible and reckless for Griffin to be out there playing, Cousins should've started! Somehow I think if Griffin had made a few more throws and the Redskins had won it wouldn't have been an issue, RGIII would be declared a warrior and toughing it out for the team in a playoff game.
He would have been a warrior. The decision is the coach's (and really the medical staff's) to make and Shanahan let the whole fanbase, and RG3, down. And Cutler was indeed a pussy.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts

Cutler is a total tool, but I am pretty reluctant to call anyone who plays QB in the NFL a pussy. I've seen some of those guys close up and I'd not like to see them trying do me bodily harm. You are quite literally putting your long term health and your life at risk between those lines.

I worry about my own courage and think about when I should be a pussy, because there's a time when you should run the hell away. Not my job to worry about other people's decisions when they are the ones who pay the fare.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts

He would have been a warrior. The decision is the coach's (and really the medical staff's) to make and Shanahan let the whole fanbase, and RG3, down. And Cutler was indeed a pussy.
So Cutler's a pussy for not playing with a partially torn MCL, but RG3 in no way, shape or form should've been allowed to play with his injury? You're one of those who are mad that Cutler didn't throw his helmet and go through the whole tough guy routine for the cameras, not the fact that he didn't actually play through the injury? Because that would be reckless to allow someone to play with a partially torn knee ligament.

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts

Shanahan has a history of riding his QBs since Denver. FedEx Field has a history of getting players injured with its surface. Bad combo. Clemons also torn his ACL in that game.

There are different surgeries involved depending on the injury. However, I also don't believe it for a moment because the 'Skins are already preparing a legal defense (read the stories about MRIs turning up an old injury), which would seem to indicate that they think the injury is serious enough to warrant a future release and the natural ensuing lawsuit.

Well, it is. Partial tears are sprains and might only take 3 weeks to 2 months to fully heal. Fully tearing ligaments is a much worse injury.
Yeah, a partial tear doesn't involve reconstruction even when surgery is necessary.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts

So Cutler's a pussy for not playing with a partially torn MCL, but RG3 in no way, shape or form should've been allowed to play with his injury? You're one of those who are mad that Cutler didn't throw his helmet and go through the whole tough guy routine for the cameras, not the fact that he didn't actually play through the injury? Because that would be reckless to allow someone to play with a partially torn knee ligament.
Cutler had a sprain and took himself out. He could have potentially played in the Super Bowl had they made it. RG3 didn't take himself out. The NFC Title Game is different than the first round.

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts

Cutler is probably one of the toughest QBs in the league. He takes massive hits and gets killed routinely behind that POS offensive line. He had one controversial game where he did not return and people bash him. I genuinely dislike him because i think he is a bullshit leader, but he is a tough SOB.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts

There are different surgeries involved depending on the injury. However, I also don't believe it for a moment because the 'Skins are already preparing a legal defense (read the stories about MRIs turning up an old injury), which would seem to indicate that they think the injury is serious enough to warrant a future release and the natural ensuing lawsuit.

Yeah, a partial tear doesn't involve reconstruction even when surgery is necessary.
Snyder should be sued for this. He's putting every player at risk, but the league let it slide for years. Maybe it takes superman/MJ/Lebron/Jesus to get hurt to be the final straw.

This was before the game. Note: "messy".

Why does it look like that?

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport

Surgery for @RGIII on LCL scheduled this week and Dr. Andrews will determine how much damage on ACL at that time, per .
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts

RG3 is the shit and I completely back his decision to play in the biggest game of his football career to this point. Whether or not he should have been given the "okay" is another conversation entirely, but it's obvious that he cares about his team and winning games and that should absolutely be commended.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts

RG3 is 99% crucial to the Skins beating a team like Seattle. Even a healthy Ponder wasn't absolutely essential for the Vikes to win and may have gone for 150 yards and 2 picks. They had a chance if they got a defensive TD and Adrian got 200 yards with 2-3 TD. Plus CP's arm looked diseased.

For some reason Webb is a stud when it can force the Vikings' pick to be later in the draft, but in this game he was garbage. He didn't even feel potential sacks and move away from them and couldn't throw.

They should have signed Darron Thomas undrafted.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts

That logic doesn't really work well when we know that the Skins had a more than adequate back-up and the Vikings turned out to be playing 10 against 11. It is hard to say that Griffin could not have been much better though, because he either re-injured or injured his knee during that game. He was very effective to start the game, but after the hit on that second TD drive he was never right physically. It did not appear that he was able to plant his right leg afterwards and with hindsight it seems likely that they would have been better served to have gone to Cousins, both to safeguard RGIII and to give themselves a better opportunity to win that game.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts