Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per Twitter:

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten

As Mitch Kupchak promised, Lakers first free agency move was reaching out to Ramon Sessions' agent to begin contract discussions

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Re: Lakers First Free Agency Move: Reaching Out to Ramon Sessions

I'll gladly take him back.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts

At the right price of course.

·
Registered
955 Posts

4.8 mil per year for 3 years no more, he has not done jack sh17 yet so

·
Registered
10,500 Posts

he had his eyes opened about how it's dfferent playing for the Lakers than it is when you're in Milwaukee or Cleveland so he may take a little less

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts

Players like Sessions can't afford to think like that. He's 26 and he's made 13 million in the NBA. He's going to want to make as much as he can off that next deal and he's a fool if he doesn't. The Lakers need him more than anyone else though and they aren't going to let him walk unless they have a better option.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts

Get him signed but still try to find a better quality starting PG. Let him come off the bench and get rid of Blake if possible.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

Lakers will and should match any offer he gets.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts

Dragic would cost more than Sessions, and wants considerably more than the MLE, he's tried to get closer to 9-10 M, that's why the Rockets don't think he's returning to Houston.

·
The Black Mamba
1,652 Posts

Yes, Dragic would cost more than Sessions, but that is none of my concern. The whole point with free agency is to improve your team and Dragic is a much better guard than Sessions. Do a sign and trade or exceed the salary cap if you have to, all I want is for the Lakers to have the best possible chance to contend for a title next year.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To absolutely no one's surprise, the Lakers announced that they would no longer pursue Ramon Sessions.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I enjoyed watching him during his very brief tenure here. Funny that just like Ariza he opts out (or in Arizas case turns down our offer) to try to get more money and then the Lakers are able to get a better player before they can even counter-offer.

Let that be a lesson to future Lakers, everyone wants to play here, so if you are relatively happy with your minutes and money just shut up and sign.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
he opted out to get a longer contract - it's common procedure these days - has nothing to do with whether he wanted to stay a laker, in fact could have meant he wanted to stay a laker an extra year

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
he opted out to get a longer contract - it's common procedure these days - has nothing to do with whether he wanted to stay a laker, in fact could have meant he wanted to stay a laker an extra year
I know, but now he has no deal and will probably get a multi year deal but with the first year being less than he stood to make had he opted-in.

Ariza wanted to be a Laker too, he just got greedy.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I always take players at their word, at least initially.

On several occasions, Sessions said playing for the Lakers was "like a dream come true."

Then he opts out. He had to know the risk...or at least a short memory, doesn't remember what happened to Ariza.

Stupid.

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
It would have been nice if they used the amnesty on Blake and resigned Ramon but I guess even the Lakers have a spending limit.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Ariza went and negotiated with another team and signed an offer sheet - Sessions has not signed with anyone - different situations

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Ariza went and negotiated with another team and signed an offer sheet - Sessions has not signed with anyone - different situations
Ok Devils Advocate. Both players wanted to remain Lakers and had an offer (Ariza) or a guaranteed year (Sessions) on the table that they turned down. The Lakers swiftly replaced both with better players that they wouldn't have been in position to do had the two original Lakers stayed on. That's how they are simular.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts