Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Esquire
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys Maria Sharapova lost today to Mary Pierce.:cry: I know we at BBB.Net are now distraught, but there is always next year. Get ready for Maria Slam 2005. :yes:

I will also take time out of this post to advertise Maria's Fan Club in my sig.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Yep, Maria's eliminated therefore so is my interest in the US Open.... actually I might watch Roddick just to see Mandy Moore :D

·
Esquire
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by <b>Yao Mania</b>!
Yep, Maria's eliminated therefore so is my interest in the US Open.... actually I might watch Roddick just to see Mandy Moore :D

They broke up. There is officially no reason to watch the US Open furthermore

·
Registered
408 Posts
Im the last person to bring up any kind of conspiracy theory but what occured tonight was ridiculous and it honestly stinks. As absurd as it sounds to say that there are some higher-ups in the tennis world trying to befall Serena one really has no other recourse after what occured tonight. It would be one thing if it was a isolated incident but these 'officiating errors' seem to follow the Williams sisters wherever they play. There needs to at least be some formal investigation into what went down at the US Open tonight.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jawn100</b>!
Im the last person to bring up any kind of conspiracy theory but what occured tonight was ridiculous and it honestly stinks. As absurd as it sounds to say that there are some higher-ups in the tennis world trying to befall Serena one really has no other recourse after what occured tonight. It would be one thing if it was a isolated incident but these 'officiating errors' seem to follow the Williams sisters wherever they play. There needs to at least be some formal investigation into what went down at the US Open tonight.
I agree. Serena was robbed. I think she took it too far in her press conference with her comments, but it's certainly understandable from her point of view. For a chair umpire to overrule a line judges call, they damn well better be right. There's absolutely no excuse to overrule a call when the ball was so far in it didn't even clip the line. What happened to Serena was a disgrace to the game of tennis, and something that really shouldn't happen. And it wasn't just an isolated incident, it happened over and over again in the third set.

On a brighter note, the mens quarterfinals brought us two excellent matches. Federer versus Agassi was a great match, a five setter that brought the best out of both players. Agassi gave it all he had, and he played a good match, but Federer was just too much in the end. Roddick vs. Johansson was another great match. It was a coming out party for Joachim Johansson, who played one hell of a match yesterday. After storming out of the gates and taking the first two sets from Roddick, Johansson stumbled a little bit in sets 3 and 4 trying to put away A-Rod. But he regained the form that helped him win the first two sets in the decisive set, serving his fastest serve of the match at a blistering 141 mph. His serve was on almost the entire night, and his forehand won him the match. When he started making a lot of unforced errors on the forehand side in the 3rd and 4th sets, Roddick exploited him.

People who didn't watch the match probably assume Roddick choked, and let some no-name guy beat him, but that really wasn't the case. Roddick played a strong match, particularly in the two sets he won, when his serve was absolutely unstoppable. He showed in those two sets why he's the second ranked player in the world. In reality, Roddick didn't give Johansson any free sets, Joachim flat out took them from Roddick, taking advantage of every opportunity Roddick gave him. The fifth set is a prime example. Roddick played the better set of the two players, but the one opportunity Andy gave Johansson to break his serve, he took to win the match.

Joachim Johansson is an interesting player. People will assume he just got lucky yesterday, or that it was a fluke and he'll never be heard from again. Not the case. He's only 22, he just turned pro 4 years ago and he's ranked in the Top 30. He has one of the best serves in the game already, excellent power and superb control on his spin serves. His forehand is very good right now, and it has the potential to be great. He shows flashes of what he can do with it(like in the 5th set when he was facing break point, and he uncorked a crosscourt forehand winner) but he's way too inconsistent. Still too many errors, and not enough control. He has several gaping holes in his game, that if he fixes can propel him well into the Top 10 in my opinion. His net game leaves a lot to be desired at this point. Johansson's a tall guy, and he's displayed nice touch at times, but he's also shown that he's very unpolished at the net. Yesterday he attempted a drop shot that came up a couple feet short of even hitting the net. He doesn't need to become Patrick Rafter or Pete Sampras at the net, he just needs to become comfortable up there and he'll be a Top 10 player in the world.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
On another note, looking ahead to the men's semis, I really like Lleyton Hewitt. Hewitt's been playing extremely well of late, he's won 4 tournaments this year and seems to be back to his old form. He's yet to lose a set all tournament, and I think he's going to end Johansson's run tomorrow. On the other side, I don't think Federer is going to have any problems with Tim Henman. Henman's played great in the grand slams this year, but he's never been to a grand slam final and I can't see him beating Federer to reach his first. I fully expect Federer and Hewitt to have a great match, but I think Hewitt will come out on top because he's just playing so well. We all saw how much trouble Andre Agassi gave Federer, at this point Hewitt is a younger, slightly better version of Agassi. I'll take Lleyton in 4 sets over Federer.

·
Esquire
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by <b>hobojoe</b>!
On another note, looking ahead to the men's semis, I really like Lleyton Hewitt. Hewitt's been playing extremely well of late, he's won 4 tournaments this year and seems to be back to his old form. He's yet to lose a set all tournament, and I think he's going to end Johansson's run tomorrow. On the other side, I don't think Federer is going to have any problems with Tim Henman. Henman's played great in the grand slams this year, but he's never been to a grand slam final and I can't see him beating Federer to reach his first. I fully expect Federer and Hewitt to have a great match, but I think Hewitt will come out on top because he's just playing so well. We all saw how much trouble Andre Agassi gave Federer, at this point Hewitt is a younger, slightly better version of Agassi. I'll take Lleyton in 4 sets over Federer.
In a nutshell. I say Federer beats Hewitt. Nice avatar hobojoe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts