Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a talk with one of my good friends and guys I play ball with about street ball vs. organized ball. Although we did talk about what takes more talent, and I believe that it takes way more talent to play in the NBA...I made this thread because it seems like many many kids from ages 8 all the way up to 20-25 years old believe that theres actually hundreds of street ballers out there that could play the NBA game, which makes me think that street ball gets way more respect. It is more entertaining (to the common person) is the reason for that, but lets be real, rafer alston was a streetball LEGEND, and would be very lucky if he even started for a eastern conference team. Theres no question in my mind about what takes more talent...

but, it seems more and more people are catching on to the street ball thing. Soon kids will be attempting to learn dribbling tricks and making the other guy look dumb before trying to learn the basics.

I wouldnt be surprised if street ball is bigger than organized ball in 10-15 years, and I wouldnt be surprised if the US talent represented in the NBA is lackluster.

Thoughts?

· Registered
1,538 Posts
i agree with what you sadi completely..

Street ball you can carry, foul= blood, need i say more?

· Registered
6,159 Posts
but, it seems more and more people are catching on to the street ball thing. Soon kids will be attempting to learn dribbling tricks and making the other guy look dumb before trying to learn the basics.
If the kid has no concept of "how to play the game", he is going to look dumb. period.

I wouldnt be surprised if street ball is bigger than organized ball in 10-15 years, and I wouldnt be surprised if the US talent represented in the NBA is lackluster.
Which league pays more?

That is the style of bball that will be bigger.

· Heat fan since 2001
7,139 Posts
Totally agree.

Sad.

· That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Street Ball is garbage, I was a legend at my park growing up, and you know what that got me, the opportunity to walk-on in college and I played orgaznized ball too.

Organized ball is the way to go, when you are good at it, nothing is more fun. Street Ball anyone can look like a star if they like to shoot a lot.

· That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
NBA legend - has money and security and world-wide fame.

Streetball Legend - has a life of problems and has street cred.

I mean let's look at the show Who's Got Game?

Pee Wee Kirkland vs. Magic Johnson.

Who would you rather be? :confused:

· Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by <b>PSUmtj112</b>!

If the kid has no concept of "how to play the game", he is going to look dumb. period.

Which league pays more?

That is the style of bball that will be bigger.
learning the basics isnt hard, its the mastering of them thats hard...but soon kids will master unnecessary moves that "look good" ...but isnt "putting the ball in the hole the easiest way possible"...which is what should be taught.

and as far as money goes, yea it takes time, but the sponsorship will come with time in street ball. Its catching on so quickly that its only a matter of time before a league starts or something big happens with a huge company providing a large sum of money to support street ball because it would be a solid investment.

· kiss my grits
18,595 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RocketFan85</b>!
This is why one day most of the NBA will be Europeans. They are the only ones who play basketball anymore.
Agreed. If serious changes arent made to the training of young kids in the US, or some sort of developmental league, I wouldn't be surprised if half the league or more is European or originating outside the US within the next decade.

Most streetball is crap. Some of the moves and stuff are entertaining, but most of the time the stuff they do doesnt even fall within the rules of the game.

On that same note, anybody catch the streetball show on MTV? Man that is terrible. I can't believe they searched the country and that was the best they could find.

Streetball is entertaining, and at the same time, might be the downfall of American basketball players.

· Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
like I said, I have no doubt in my mind that the NBA level of competition is far and above anywhere else in this galaxy.

but, as far as entertainment goes...street ball could be on a bigger stage in not too long.

· kiss my grits
18,595 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
like I said, I have no doubt in my mind that the NBA level of competition is far and above anywhere else in this galaxy.

but, as far as entertainment goes...street ball could be on a bigger stage in not too long.
I find it hard to believe anyone will invest a large amount of money on a group that many times have questionable backgrounds and such. I think the whole streetball thing is a short term fad and will die out pretty quickly ... when people start realizing that none of those guys can hold a candle to most NBA players, especially when they actually have to play within the rules of the game. And especially when Europeans who are trained in the fundamentals of the game while American HS kids are practicing their 360s keep coming over to the US a making bigger impacts in the league. Non-American players are already showing they are generally more skilled, and they are steadily catching up athletically.

· Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by <b>Dee Bo</b>!

I find it hard to believe anyone will invest a large amount of money on a group that many times have questionable backgrounds and such. I think the whole streetball thing is a short term fad and will die out pretty quickly ... when people start realizing that none of those guys can hold a candle to most NBA players, especially when they actually have to play within the rules of the game. And especially when Europeans who are trained in the fundamentals of the game while American HS kids are practicing their 360s keep coming over to the US a making bigger impacts in the league. Non-American players are already showing they are generally more skilled, and they are steadily catching up athletically.
Lets hope so, because personally I would rather watch two teams under .500 play a preseason game then watch a streetball show. Only time I watch them is if theres very little on TV at the time.

· kiss my grits
18,595 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!

Lets hope so, because personally I would rather watch two teams under .500 play a preseason game then watch a streetball show. Only time I watch them is if theres very little on TV at the time.
I agree. Being a die-hard fan, I like watching whatever I can get, I even like watching summer and preseason games.

I was hoping that MTV show would be a quick basketball fix, but is actually pretty pitiful.

· Registered
869 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dee Bo</b>!

But don't you think if a thing is popular enough and has commerical value enough, the sport will actually change its rule to fit it. That happens in countless sports. Even the NBA allows less and less D (no hand-checking rules, illegal D etc etc) to promote more 1-on-1 moves and dunks.

· Registered
7,701 Posts
Streetball? Pshhhh. I like watching it. It's a very entertaining version of basketball. The stuff the guys can do with the ball is cool. But nothing will beat regular, organized basketball. This is why so many foreign players are being brought into the league. They're some of the only ones left with fundamentals.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts