Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Originally posted by <b>carayip</b>!

But don't you think if a thing is popular enough and has commerical value enough, the sport will actually change its rule to fit it. That happens in countless sports. Even the NBA allows less and less D (no hand-checking rules, illegal D etc etc) to promote more 1-on-1 moves and dunks.
Thats the point I was trying to make, but the words didnt come together as well as you put them. Thanks.

· Registered
11,755 Posts
the future streetball?

don't think so...

Biggest reason is because NBA players get paid more to play more fundamental ball...

Money rules all.

Unless the commercial value of streetball exceeds the NBA, doubtful that 'streetball' will be dominating the US.

I like it though, it's fun to watch.

· Registered
869 Posts
If one day the streetball becomes so populer that all the American kids are into it and ignore the fundamentals of organized ball (it's happening day by day), the NBA may change the rules for the more popular (more popular = more money and money rules).

No the league won't just solve it by bringing all the fundamentally sound foreign players because after all NBA is primarily an American league and the main audience are still American so they always need American players to dominate to succeed as a league. So if American players are into streetball more than organized ball, the NBA rules may change and the NBA game will become more streetball style.

It won't surprise me one bit if a future NBA game one day becomes the free-style streetball type game (may one day traveling become allowed?) and all the (current) streetballers become the dominant players of the league. Actually you can see the style of the game already changing and will continue to change (e.g. more 1-on-1 plays, less D allowed).

So it's certainly a legit worry for traditional organized bball lovers.

May we see the NSBA (National Street Basketball Association) one day?! :laugh:

· Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Now that I'm thinking about this, I dont see how it could ever be as competitive as the NBA.

If the NBA rules somehow changed to favor streetball...how many times can you imagine saying "man why didnt he just put it in instead of all that other fancy stuff"

The fanbase would be more unified instead of fans rooting for teams, because theres no way a street game could match the competitiveness of an nba game if the mentality is "let me look good THEN put it in"

I'm a "score the easiest way possible" type fan. Streetball is a "if it doesnt look good, it dont count"

Even if they made traveling legal, they would have to put some limitations on it, or double dribble. There will always be the player who will use the rules to the limit and score the easiest way possible, when the street players just want the travel legal so they can do their moves. the NBA will never get rid of all the fundamental players unless they COMPLETELY change the rules. We're talking like certain moves get points, and they start doing style points and have judges or something.

The NBA will never resort to that, so the streetball idea would have to be formed on its own and have some money behind it. Players wouldnt make nearly as much money because its not a "bring me a title and well pay this" type situation.

HOWEVER, since streetball already has become very popular in the states, the foreign influence on the league will increase drastically over the next 10 years. I wonder how streetball will influence the foreign game when it starts getting popular there??

· That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hollis</b>!

HIV, no HIV; HIV, no HIV; Hmm....;)
Your crazy if you think Magic Johnson is actually sick from HIV. He obviously has been given some good drugs. He is not sick. :yes: :yes:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts