Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Utah aparently signed the top free agents in the NBA. And last year they had a better record Senz Boozer and Garbage Okur, this goes to show you that you can not build a team by simply signing Free Agents.

RAJA BELL FOR MVP!!!!!!!!!

UTAH'S SEASON.... :dead: :boohoo: :dead:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Travis76 said:
So Utah aparently signed the top free agents in the NBA. And last year they had a better record Senz Boozer and Garbage Okur, this goes to show you that you can not build a team by simply signing Free Agents.

I concurr

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
As a Piston fan I really did wonder why Okur got such a huge offer from Utah. I think you can win with buying free agents but i think Utah got stuck with a lot of cap in a weak free agent class. Which lead to overpaying for two bigmen who might not be worth near the deals they got. I like Okur but he doesn't like to play inside enough to be a logical center option fulltime.

Reactions: LakerLunatic

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Travis76 said:

Steve Nash and Quentin Richardson seemed to help PHX a little bit this season.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Utah tried to buy height through free agency. They went after the best tall guys in the FA class but it wasn't a very strong big man market. They overpaid to try and improve the team quickly and it back fired.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Okur wasn't ever known as a defensive stoper thats for sure. His offensive game is what got him paid. It's to bad he hasn't got his act together.

·
Registered
569 Posts
They signed a mediorce PF in Boozer, and a player in Okur that I never liked and have said so here on the forum. They might put up stats but they aren't going to help Utah be a title contender. I just can't see a team with Okur and Boozer at C and PF doing anything.

Boozer is a good player but he's not great, put him beside Shaq and he'd be awesome but on Utah where has to be the man in the post he just doesn't cut it.

They fell into the trap spending big money on alright players.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Okur and Boozer are very good players but they are not stars. They were the best free agents on the market last season at their postions but that doesn't mean they deserve near what they were paid. They are more then capable of being useful on a playoff team and could be starters in the right situtations but they aren't the type of players to carry a team. The major probelm is they were paid dollars like they could carry the whole team.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
They got big contracts and while they perform on the offensive end, they don't do much defending, especially Okur. A Sloan led team needs defense and they need perfect offensive execution where everyone is in correct positions. I thought they were good moves to start the season but I guess they aren't. Also injuries have not helped one bit.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
This might be a sign that both players weren't signed for Sloan. Not saying he is on the way out or anything but atleast this team has talent to work with. Might not be the best fitting talent but atleast talent is in the post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts