Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Jazz's win, and Portland's loss, the two teams are tied at 24-51.

It's slender as far as linings go, but it's silver.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I would like Portland to get the 4th spot when the lottory does it's drawing, but I think Utah has a harder schedule. If they tie, how do they determine who gets the 4th spot? Coin, record verse each other?

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
They hold the tiebraker over us because they have beat us 2 out of 3 times thisy ear, so wouldnt that give us the higher draft pick?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Charlotte cannot have a top three pick for this draft, right? Can someone clear this up for me? I was glad when I glanced over and saw that Utah won.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Yes we would have the nod for the 4th seed in the lottery, but if we tie and split, they split the balls.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
D-Up said:
Charlotte cannot have a top three pick for this draft, right? Can someone clear this up for me? I was glad when I glanced over and saw that Utah won.
YEs they can, in the past Expanision teams were barred for 2 drafts, It's no longer that way.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
They hold the tiebraker over us because they have beat us 2 out of 3 times thisy ear, so wouldnt that give us the higher draft pick?
In the past, when two lottery teams had the same record, both teams would split the lottery balls and in the event that neither team moves into the top 3, a coin flip would determine who gets the higher draft pick. I'm pretty sure it's still that way.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Schilly said:
Yes we would have the nod for the 4th seed in the lottery, but if we tie and split, they split the balls.
They actually flip a coin for the balls if their is a tie....

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
zagsfan20 said:
They actually flip a coin for the balls if their is a tie....
Look at last year's lottery odds and you'll see that two pairs of teams had almost identical odds. They might flip the coin for the one extra ball, but I'm not sure if they do a different flip for a non-top 3 finish or not.

Ed O.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
2 years ago Cleveland and Denver had Identicle records (17wins IIRC) in addition they had split the season series, therefore they took the number of combos for #1 and #2 combined them and split them up, it comes up an odd number so they did a coin toss for the odd dofference.

I am fairly certain that they go by head to head record for a tie breaker if 2 teams are tied.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Schilly said:
I am fairly certain that they go by head to head record for a tie breaker if 2 teams are tied.
Head-to-head record is only used as a tiebreaker for playoff position. For draft order they use a coin flip.

LINK

For example, last year Seattle and Golden State had the same record, and Golden State had a 3-1 record against Seattle, but Golden State still got the higher pick because they won the coin flip.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
RP McMurphy said:
Head-to-head record is only used as a tiebreaker for playoff position. For draft order they use a coin flip.

LINK

For example, last year Seattle and Golden State had the same record, and Golden State had a 3-1 record against Seattle, but Golden State still got the higher pick because they won the coin flip.
Thanks for verifying that for me....

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Utah Jazz beat SA Spurs.........thank you very much. A loss tonight against the mighty Mavs would have the Blazers and Jazz tied for the fourth worst record in the league. We have the tie breaker - because they've beaten us more times this year.

"With the fourth pick in NBA draft, the Portland Trailblazers select (grin).......

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RedHot&Rolling said:
Utah Jazz beat SA Spurs.........thank you very much. A loss tonight against the mighty Mavs would have the Blazers and Jazz tied for the fourth worst record in the league. We have the tie breaker - because they've beaten us more times this year.
See the post two before yours. Head-to-head records aren't used for lottery order.

Sunday's Utah at Portland game might be the only remaining game that either team wins, so it will be interesting...

Ed O.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Thanks for verifying that for me....
Not to be overly meticulous, but since it's you Zags :biggrin: Show me in that article where either the word Coin, or Flip are used?

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Schilly said:
Not to be overly meticulous, but since it's you Zags :biggrin: Show me in that article where either the word Coin, or Flip are used?
I didnt read the article, I was just expecting it to be in there....

I have heard/read on several occasions where if you tie and team and the head to head games are tied, then it comes down to the flip of a coin....

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
if we get the 4th spot wwe will get #1

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
I didnt read the article, I was just expecting it to be in there....

I have heard/read on several occasions where if you tie and team and the head to head games are tied, then it comes down to the flip of a coin....
It's a mini lottery, basically the same as a coin flip, but it's a drawing....I was just being overly critical.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts