Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Any road win is a quality win.

Smith was clearly the player of the game tonight. Maybe one day we will have Smith and Lamb hot at the same time...

Slightly disappointed overall in the non-conference but there real season is starting now.

·
Premium Member
32,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Any idea what is up with DeMuth? Injury I assume?
Injury, sat out GW game so likely not ready to go.

More immediate/relevant to this game, anyone know why Giddens never came back in for this one?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Overall I enjoyed that non-conference schedule. Good opponents, some unusual matchups amd some good close games. There were a few frustrating nights, but if you had told me before the season we’d go 10-5 against that schedule, I probably would have signed up.

·
Premium Member
32,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Rai was really good for Dartmouth. Would take him on UVM.

·
Premium Member
32,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Overall I enjoyed that non-conference schedule. Good opponents, some unusual matchups amd some good close games. There were a few frustrating nights, but if you had told me before the season we’d go 10-5 against that schedule, I probably would have signed up.
If someone would have told me we’d be 10-5 without Shungu for most of the OOC I’d have definitely signed up for it. That being said, still feel slightly disappointed in the 0-3 Rider/Yale/UNCG slate despite the St. John’s win counterbalancing it somewhat.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Rider/Yale/UNCG may all be their conference champions. I don't like the losses but none of them are shameful.

In the Dartmouth game Smith was clearly UVM's best player, as he has been in other games this season. He's been Mr. Reliable.

Robin D. had one of his best games yet. I really like his new-found drive to the rim and it is producing!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Because Giddens was playing softer than microwaved baby shit.

I can't say whether he was hurt or not, but this is very much true. Knight was eating his lunch. With this team just when you think you're getting the "good" or "as good as it is going to get" version of a player (see: Giddens, Daniel and Davis, Ryan) they go out and just offer total duds of games.

As for the officiating, I recognized them all, but especially he one with hair that didn't have the sides buzzed down. He's done his share of UVM games. Let's just say I don't see him moving past this level.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,383 Posts
I can't say whether he was hurt or not, but this is very much true. Knight was eating his lunch. With this team just when you think you're getting the "good" or "as good as it is going to get" version of a player (see: Giddens, Daniel and Davis, Ryan) they go out and just offer total duds of games.

As for the officiating, I recognized them all, but especially he one with hair that didn't have the sides buzzed down. He's done his share of UVM games. Let's just say I don't see him moving past this level.
All of the 4/5's who played were less than stellar in this game. Even Lamb, although his bad game is better than most peoples average game. It's why we got Patella for 30 minutes, which was a heck of lot better than what we were getting from the true bigs. Once again let me reiterate the need to recruit another big for next season.

This was easily the worst officiating I've seen on the season. Touch fouls...Touch fouls as far as the eye can see.

·
Premium Member
32,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
Because Giddens was playing softer than microwaved baby shit.
Softer than Davis? That’s pretty hard to do, so I’m somewhat impressed.

I understand if Giddens didn’t start with the intensity and focus Becker wanted and you want to use as a teaching moment, but at least with Giddens you have someone that can grab a rebound, block a shot, or clean up a missed shot. Once I see Davis do any one of those things, I’ll say sure throw him in over Giddens. Don’t get me started on watching bigs drive past him with ease anytime he’s drawn out of the paint in space either.

·
Premium Member
32,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
So does anyone know exactly how many points Stef was officially credited with last night? Initial box score and reports said 30pts, but now ESPN changed it to 24pts and it looks like they gave 6pts extra to Everett who has 14pts but only scored 8pts. The UVM release said Stef had 26pts...there’s no way he only scored 24, and I think he had more than 26.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
So does anyone know exactly how many points Stef was officially credited with last night? Initial box score and reports said 30pts, but now ESPN changed it to 24pts and it looks like they gave 6pts extra to Everett who has 14pts but only scored 8pts. The UVM release said Stef had 26pts...there’s no way he only scored 24, and I think he had more than 26.

Anyone know?
Are we sure we won?

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Are we sure we won?

Anyone know?
According to this Official Basketball Box Score - Final pdf posted on the UVM Athletics website, Stef Smith had 26, Robin Duncan had 13, and Everett Duncan had 12 points. (The web version is currently unavailable.)

However, I do believe we won. Video evidence here.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Bad FT shooting is usually one guy, in this case Smith, and not the entire team. Rest of the team was 15-19, including 0-2 for Deloney.
Glad to read that Robin Duncan has been trying to address his FT woes. From the BFP article on the game:
Crucially, the sophomore point guard, who logged 38 minutes Thursday with Ben Shungu still sidelined by injury, hit 7-of-8 foul shots in the second half that kept Dartmouth at arm's length. He entered the game as a 40.7 percent free-throw shooter.

"I'm just putting in my time, trying to get better at my free throws because I struggled at the beginning of the season," Duncan said.
Also very happy that Robin Duncan is working to become less of a black hole on offense:
The younger Duncan brother, Robin, continued his recent trend of all-around high-impact play, adding a new wrinkle with the season-high 13-point outburst.

"We've changed a little bit of how we played. We've played a lot more transition which suits his game with his size and his speed," Becker said. "He's got his head up and he can make plays with an attacking mindset."
He still doesn't seem able to shoot long-distance for beans, but if he can drive and penetrate and score (or facilitate) that way, I'm all for it.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts