Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Very exciting game. Dissapointed that Hartford came up on the losing side but it was nice to see they were able to stay with UVM for the most part. If I am not mistaken I think only Maine has played UVM this tight in conference games (other than the Stony loss).

I thought Ellison did a great job on Lamb (I thought he did a great job in the first game as well) . Holding Lamb to 7pts 5 rbd in this game and 8 pts 8 rbd in the first game is quite an accomplishment.

I though Davis dominated Stafl. I didn't realize that Davis had the game he does down low. Plus he gave UVM a bunch of second chances..

I didn't realize UVM shoots as many 3's as they do...in the 1st matchup 44% o f their shots were from 3. In today's matchup 47% were from 3. That's a lot of 3's.

Carter had a pretty good line today.....26 pts...4 rbd....6 asst....5 steals

Ellison did as well....23 pts (shooting 8-11 from the field)...12 rbd...3 asst....3 steals.

The freshman today all looked like freshman. There have been games that the freshman have carried the team....not today.

Marks missed so 2 or 3 layups down low that hurt.

When leaving the game I though Hartford lost the game today at the line...it seemed like UVM made everything and Hartford was killing themselves at the line. In reality Hartford shot 61% and UVM shot 67%.

The real killers today were Davis & Duncan (Everett).

Congrats to UVM....I hope we get 1 more shot at you guys this year....unfortunately if we do it will be at your place.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Smith seemed to be hurting towards the end of the game last night. Saw him hunched over multiple times in the huddle. Back spasms?

·
Premium Member
33,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
*It’s always encouraging to see us win when Lamb is held to below double-figure scoring. To beat a good conference opponent on the road speaks to the depth the team does have, when earlier it looked like that depth may not have been there. Lamb places winning above all else so has to be great for him to see his teammates lift team up like last night.

*Davis is having a great conference season so far. Has to have played himself on to 3rd team at this point.

*Everett finding shooting stroke at right time.

*Davis 16pts, Stef 15pts, Shungu 11pts 6 boards, all theoretically returnees next year.

*Powell is a real boost defensively and on the boards. Still think everyone Powell/Staff still figuring out how he’s going to be an effective scorer in the offense, and it’s too bad he missed so many games earlier or else he’d likely have more of a role, but his athleticism/size/rebounding is critical defensively when Lamb or Giddens are out of the game. Powell has been ready to go defensively since day 1.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not sure I see the similarities between tonight and the UNCG loss, especially when UNCG a much stronger team.
Just that the Cats missed the buzzer-beater against UNCG and got it this time.

Anthony's 1-5 for 7 points doesn't concern me much. Opposing AE coaches are either taking the approach that they're not going to let Lamb beat them and double- if not triple-teaming him, or assuming that Anthony is going to get his, and trying to shut down UVM's other scorers. When they've done the latter, Anthony has been punishing them. But when he's getting all the defensive attention, he's found other ways to beat the opposing team. Last night's final play was one of those cases when extra coverage on Lamb backfired, although it was Shungu this time who made the opponents pay.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Powell is a great athlete. He really skyed for a rebound at one point
"Skyed" is an interesting word. In most other words ending in "y" it would become "ied," but that would produce "skied," which is something else that athletes do in Vermont. I don't think that the dictionary would tell us, since "sky" is only a verb in hoop slang. Given that David is the professor, I'll trust his take. I'll also second his take that Powell's an athlete. Isaiah is one of the guys whose production could go way up in the post-Lamb era.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
As in the Maine game on 1/22, UVM gets a very close win while SBU loses, and that's why they are leading the conference by 2 games.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Not sure if “stole” is the right word. They almost completely collapsed and gave Hartford a win...

Hartford played well and they will be tough in the tournament but if you have a multiple possession lead with under 2 minutes to go you should win that game.

Just when we think Lamb is turning a corner he has a couple down games again. Good thing Smith (1st half) and Davis showed up.
It seems like some people care about Lamb's stats than whether the team wins...I am very sure that Lamb cares only about the latter...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
It seems like some people care about Lamb's stats than whether the team wins...I am very sure that Lamb cares only about the latter...
No, I think people know that this team has a far better success rate when Lamb is able to play well offensively and get into the flow of the game. He wasn't yesterday and that's a credit to Hartford and foul trouble. As noted by Finkelstien (the best analyst the AE has on home team ESPN3/+ broadcasts) this UVM team would not have won that game in November/December/early January because of their over reliance on Lamb. Yes, it's a testament to them rounding into form, but we all know this team goes as far as Lamb goes and is the best version of the team when he's in rhythm. When he's not able to contribute on the offensive end or is sitting with foul trouble, this team is in trouble. That doesn't change even if they get wins in spite of it. Of course Lamb only cares about the latter, but don't equate that to people valuing his success over the team's. That's silly.

·
Premium Member
33,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I'm no math expert but in last 3 games Lamb has scored 33pts, 19pts, and 7 pts. That's an average of 19.6ppg. The team is also 3-0, at the end of the day who really cares how Lamb/UVM all arrive there if that's the end result.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
No, I think people know that this team has a far better success rate when Lamb is able to play well offensively and get into the flow of the game. He wasn't yesterday and that's a credit to Hartford and foul trouble. As noted by Finkelstien (the best analyst the AE has on home team ESPN3/+ broadcasts) this UVM team would not have won that game in November/December/early January because of their over reliance on Lamb. Yes, it's a testament to them rounding into form, but we all know this team goes as far as Lamb goes and is the best version of the team when he's in rhythm. When he's not able to contribute on the offensive end or is sitting with foul trouble, this team is in trouble. That doesn't change even if they get wins in spite of it. Of course Lamb only cares about the latter, but don't equate that to people valuing his success over the team's. That's silly.
Cat, I respect your opinion and you're not wrong about most of this, but to think that there are not people on this forum who think that Lamb should be taking 20 shots a game and putting up 20-30 points a game in order to give the team it's best chance of winning...well....I don't know what to tell you.

Cheers!

·
U of AZ 72
50 Posts
"Skyed" is an interesting word. In most other words ending in "y" it would become "ied," but that would produce "skied," which is something else that athletes do in Vermont. I don't think that the dictionary would tell us, since "sky" is only a verb in hoop slang. Given that David is the professor, I'll trust his take. I'll also second his take that Powell's an athlete. Isaiah is one of the guys whose production could go way up in the post-Lamb era.
What an erudite bunch of posters we have, from discussions about having two spellings for for a word ( compliment vs. complement) to references to the butterfly effect and now a spelling discussion.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Cat, I respect your opinion and you're not wrong about most of this, but to think that there are not people on this forum who think that Lamb should be taking 20 shots a game and putting up 20-30 points a game in order to give the team it's best chance of winning...well....I don't know what to tell you.

Cheers!
I assume you are referencing me here since you quoted my last response. You are putting words in my mouth. I don't care how much Lamb scores. My biggest concern is efficiency and turnovers. He's shooting 40% from the field and 29% (rounding up) from three. It looked like he was turning a corner but has been 5-17 the last two games and 1-8 from three. He's also averaging a career high in turnovers. I am also watching the games. He hasn't played as well as he has in the past. I don't understand why its an issue to bring this up...Based on his track record and hype going into this year, I was expecting to see a player on another level. I don't see it. I love Lamb as a player and person, but he's had a disappointing year. Sorry that I don't have my green colored glasses on for this one...

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I assume you are referencing me here since you quoted my last response. You are putting words in my mouth. I don't care how much Lamb scores. My biggest concern is efficiency and turnovers. He's shooting 40% from the field and 29% (rounding up) from three. It looked like he was turning a corner but has been 5-17 the last two games and 1-8 from three. He's also averaging a career high in turnovers. I am also watching the games. He hasn't played as well as he has in the past. I don't understand why its an issue to bring this up...Based on his track record and hype going into this year, I was expecting to see a player on another level. I don't see it. I love Lamb as a player and person, but he's had a disappointing year. Sorry that I don't have my green colored glasses on for this one...
I'm not pointing any fingers, actually...

This is a good take. I"m usually one of the first people to defend the players and the coaching staff, but this is fair and on point.

·
Premium Member
33,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I dunno, if people have been “watching games” as they say they would see Lamb has faced the most defensive attention he’s faced thus far in his career. He wasn’t facing as much consistent doubling, or even tripling, at any previous point up until this season. He’s also moved to the perimeter a bit more out of necessity to get shots and prove he can play out there for next level. To expect Lamb to shoot with same efficiency as prior years seems unrealistic to me given defenses he’s facing. Teams just aren’t letting him catch the ball on the block in single coverage and go to work....

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I dunno, if people have been “watching games” as they say they would see Lamb has faced the most defensive attention he’s faced thus far in his career. He wasn’t facing as much consistent doubling, or even tripling, at any previous point up until this season. He’s also moved to the perimeter a bit more out of necessity to get shots and prove he can play out there for next level. To expect Lamb to shoot with same efficiency as prior years seems unrealistic to me given defenses he’s facing. Teams just aren’t letting him catch the ball on the block in single coverage and go to work....
Yes, most teams are either playing a packed in zone or double/triple teaming him when he makes his move. The point that Longclaw was making is that his efficiency is down and his turnovers are up. I'm fine with him trying to split the double team from time to time but discretion is often the better part of valor...make that pass! He's been better lately, but earlier in the season, he took a boatload of bad, contested shots.

Don't get me wrong, he is essential to the success of UVM. Even if he's not doing a ton on offense, his defense and rebounding are critical. We're probably nitpicking a bit here, but there is absolutely room for improvement on the offensive end.

·
Premium Member
33,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I mean, there’s always room to improve in all facets of the game. I’ve posted this multiple times but there was a stretch of earlier games in OOC where Lamb really struggled shooting the ball and as a result it’s been a major drag on his efficiency/fg % numbers. Since that point he’s been more like 2018-19 Lamb despite facing a lot more defensive pressure.

Lamb has also gone out on perimeter more and I think candidly it’s something that this team will benefit from down the road. I think we’ve seen what happens when he’s putting it all together and scoring from all levels on the court.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts