Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Lamb has been double-teamed for the entirety of every conference game except for one, but this was probably the first game despite swarming defense in the post, he’s really been “shut down” or limited offensively. Nice to see his teammates step up in an important road game.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It looked to me that there were a lot of empty seats last night (even good ones near the court)...
but ESPN said it was a sellout. What did others see (esp. those at the game)?

Just curious
As a long-time season seat holder there are two things at play:

1. SBU sells a lot of season seats to members in the community who then simply don't show up to games. So the seats are "sold" but they are sitting in the drawer in someone's home nearby. This week, despite the quality of this game, is winter break for school kids, and half the town is away skiing. Other common reasons these seats are always empty: kids have something at school that night, there is a party at a colleague's house, forgot there was a game, tired after a long day of surgery, dinner reservations get in the way, etc. Happens all season, and these are all just simply things in this area.

2. The people in the close padded seats behind the scorers' table have access all game to the schmoozey food and drink room behind those seats, and it's much cooler to mingle there most of the game with the other padded seat people clinking and downing alcoholic bevvies. So those seats are empty, too.

Simply put, this is life at IFCU.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just brought up the ESPN replay to re-watch the defensive play of the season when with 3:20 left, Robin was face-to-face with Foreman on the left sideline, chopped upward to shoot the ball straight up out of Freman's hands, outjumped Foreman to tip the ball to himself, then controlled the ball in midair and bounced it off Foreman's leg and out of bounds - three tremendous athletic moves in two seconds. Lamb was shut diwn on offense and Stef was in foul trouble, so Everett puts us a double-double, Shungu scores a career high, and Robuin comes off the benh to do something like this. That's what makes this team such a joy to follow.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
As a long-time season seat holder there are two things at play:

1. ...and half the town is away skiing....

2. The people in the close padded seats behind the scorers' table have access all game to the schmoozey food and drink room behind those seats, and it's much cooler to mingle there most of the game with the other padded seat people clinking and downing alcoholic bevvies. So those seats are empty, too.

Simply put, this is life at IFCU.
1) Thank you Stony Brook residents for contributing to the Vermont economy

2) I do myself wonder if point 2 here is going to be the new events center for UVM...how many of those cushion seats section 5 folks are going to just stay up in the new Victory Club room and watch the games from there while feasting on their endless free popcorn supply that some of those people cherish like it's the opal from Uncut Gems.

3) I would like no part of Stony Brook in the playoffs. Someone please do UVM a favor. Come on Lowell or UNH.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
New coach, same StonyBrook. The team clearly has talent. If Elijiah had played, I think that SBU wins that game. The thing that has and keeps holding SBU back is guys taking stupid shots. I mean 5 feet behind the arc shots. Have some discipline on offense, take better shots, you'll win more games. It's really that simple with this team...

SBUs bigs are some of the biggest/strongest in the league but the offense is predicated on taking a boat load of threes??? Makes no sense to me...

But whatever...you do you SBU...see you in the 'ship.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
New coach, same StonyBrook. The team clearly has talent. If Elijiah had played, I think that SBU wins that game. The thing that has and keeps holding SBU back is guys taking stupid shots. I mean 5 feet behind the arc shots. Have some discipline on offense, take better shots, you'll win more games. It's really that simple with this team...

SBUs bigs are some of the biggest/strongest in the league but the offense is predicated on taking a boat load of threes??? Makes no sense to me...

But whatever...you do you SBU...see you in the 'ship.
Agree...but their irrational confidence levels shooting scares me even if percentages say otherwise. Also as an aisde should this rematch happen in the finals, Lamb needs to get his revenge on Gueye. Posterized in a dunk in first meeting, swatted big time last night. This aggression will not stand man.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Agree...but their irrational confidence levels shooting scares me even if percentages say otherwise. Also as an aisde should this rematch happen in the finals, Lamb needs to get his revenge on Gueye. Posterized in a dunk in first meeting, swatted big time last night. This aggression will not stand man.
Yeah, live by the three, die by the three, I guess...can't think of any other way how they could lose to Bingo and UNH.

I suspect Lamb will remember what Gueye did to him, but I also think that he's mature enough to remember that the W matters way more than getting stuffed or dunked on.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I just brought up the ESPN replay to re-watch the defensive play of the season when with 3:20 left, Robin was face-to-face with Foreman on the left sideline, chopped upward to shoot the ball straight up out of Freman's hands, outjumped Foreman to tip the ball to himself, then controlled the ball in midair and bounced it off Foreman's leg and out of bounds - three tremendous athletic moves in two seconds. Lamb was shut diwn on offense and Stef was in foul trouble, so Everett puts us a double-double, Shungu scores a career high, and Robuin comes off the benh to do something like this. That's what makes this team such a joy to follow.
The second benefit of depth besides wearing the other team down is this one. When you have 10 guys that are legitimate rotation players, the probability of everyone collectively sucking on any given night is much lower. The guy who was invisible last game will step up in the next one and cover for somebody else.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
It looked to me that there were a lot of empty seats last night (even good ones near the court)...
but ESPN said it was a sellout. What did others see (esp. those at the game)?

Just curious
Part of the problem with the seats at Stony Brook are the ones right behind the benches, the ones most visible on tv, are all season ticket holders. I am sure those seats are sold but maybe the ticket holders are not at the game. Also, those seats have access to a lounge right behind the section where food and drinks are served. Many people just stay up there for the game and don;t go to their seats. It is always a bad look on tv from that perspective.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Im wayyyyy ok with a close loss for SBU. What were the odds of us beating UVM three times this season? Vermont shoots 9-31 from deep next time and Olaniyi is healthy, it's game over.

·
Premium Member
33,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Im wayyyyy ok with a close loss for SBU. What were the odds of us beating UVM three times this season? Vermont shoots 9-31 from deep next time and Olaniyi is healthy, it's game over.
What would be the percent chance Lamb is held in check like that again, in a playoff game? Something less than zero percent chance seems reasonable.

That’s probably one of the best defensive games efforts SBU had all season and was still a 9pt home loss.

Since I’m being honest will continue to do so; let’s not forget UVM completely gifted SBU the first win as well.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts