Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oakland tomorrow at 1:30pm. Feel’s like Oakland going to be pretty difficult matchup, gave West Virginia all it could handle and beat OK State. ESPN has us as 70% favorites, not sure what KenPom has but not sure that seems right.

Would be huge to get a W in first game of this thing tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Checked Ken Pom's ratings a couple days ago:

Rice #136
Evansville #193

Vermont #95
Oakland #156

Akron #120
Fordham #273

App State #187
Delaware #158

·
Registered
733 Posts
I was amazed at the level of grit UVM displayed against yale. When they went into halftime behind I didn't think UVM would pull it off. IMO UVM has never really been a second-half team, they're much more of a momentum team, especially when playing against more talented opponents. Shots weren't falling yet they still figured out a way to go on a run and get a quality win. That's what great basketball teams do.

Now, what are the streaming options? Looks like Flo hoops? What's the cheapest way to do that for the next couple days? Any free trials? Otherwise it looks like a $29.95 one-month subscription. So sick of this fragmented college basketball media environment. One month subscription for BTN+, ACC Streaming for that game, yada yada. I wish more things were on ESPN like the old days.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
So sick of this fragmented college basketball media environment. One month subscription for BTN+, ACC Streaming for that game, yada yada. I wish more things were on ESPN like the old days.
What are you even talking about? In the old days, you were lucky to have a couple of games on TV and that you didn't have to, heaven forbid, listen to them on the radio. Now, you have so many different channels with so many options: ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, FS1, FS2, CBSSN, BTN, Pac-12, SEC, ACC and then all the NCAA Tournament games via TBS, TNT, TruTV.

Be thankful you get to actually watch a 1:30 pm game on a friggin Monday that features Oakland and Vermont! It's not like this is Duke vs North Carolina or some such shit.

Reactions: VT Cats Fan

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
What are you even talking about? In the old days, you were lucky to have a couple of games on TV and that you didn't have to, heaven forbid, listen to them on the radio. Now, you have so many different channels with so many options: ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, FS1, FS2, CBSSN, BTN, Pac-12, SEC, ACC and then all the NCAA Tournament games via TBS, TNT, TruTV.

Be thankful you get to actually watch a 1:30 pm game on a friggin Monday that features Oakland and Vermont! It's not like this is Duke vs North Carolina or some such shit.
Sounds like there's a discrepancy between the Old Days and the Reallllly Old Days. :)

It is remarkable to think that even 20 years ago, which was still the 21st Century and doesn't seem like the Dark Ages by any stretch, how limited the options were: limited cable access, no streaming. I was just talking to someone the other day about how growing up it felt like a huge deal if UVM basketball or hockey was on television, any television. That usually meant some kind of postseason tournament coverage, which we know was few and far between around these parts forever. Now I sit down and watch Vermont play at Northern Iowa on a November weekday like I'm entitled to it or something. Crazy.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I added the radio part just before I hit submit lol. But yeah, it really isn't that long ago that you were lucky to have a few games a night and they certainly weren't showing an America East vs Horizon match-up.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Some trivia: The Evansville Aces played St. Michael's College in the 1958, 1959, and 1965 NCAA Division II Tournaments, losing the first matchup, then winning the next two matchups.

They have won 5 national championships in the "College Division" (now Division II).

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes, by "old days" I was referring to 4-5 years ago when a lot more stuff was either completely free to stream, or consolidated on ESPN3/ESPN+, or some other network accessible via credentials from a cable subscription.

I'm no expert in this, but what seems to have happened in the last 3-4 years is the Power Five conferences each greatly expanded their own television networks and became more aggressive in keeping those rights under their umbrella. So now when UVM plays an ACC team, you have to spend $10-$15 on an ACCN subscription, same with B1G/BTN, SEC, etc. And now that high majors have kind of removed all the content on ESPN3 it seems like tournaments like this Gulf Coast Showcase likely feel empowered to bypass ESPN as well and pursue a contract with Flo Hoops (or whoever) that surely is giving the organizers better royalties.

I don't mean to bitch like disgruntled old man. It's just annoying having to sign up and shell out $10-$15 for most UVM non-conference games you want to stream (and then remember to cancel the subscription thereafter, which I struggle to do).

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I guess my bad...when I hear/see the term "old days", I don't generally think of 4 or 5 years ago. I mean, I suppose if I was 10 or so that might be the case as it would have been half my life ago. But as someone in their late 40s/early 50s, the "old days" would have to be at least 20 years ago, again, using half my life/age as the barometer.

But, none of that matters in this conversation or thread.

It's awesome that the first game of the tourney is going to overtime. Hopefully that is a sign for the rest of the event!

Good luck to you guys. Always nice to see conference teams do well in the non-conference portion of their schedules.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Fouling the 3 pt shooter...ugh! To Frederking's credit, he nailed all 3 foul shots.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts