Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
2-1 solid outcome for this; soooooo close to 3-0. Winning at UNC-Greensboro would take a nice winning feeling back home vs Dartmouth.

Reactions: Mr quint

·
Registered
817 Posts
2-1 solid outcome for this; soooooo close to 3-0. Winning at UNC-Greensboro would take a nice winning feeling back home vs Dartmouth.
Obviously they would have played different teams the last two games, so we’ll never know.

Their defense has been outstanding so far, and they work hard at it. Three point shooting and maybe depth up front are the concerns. But overall, they are exceeding my expectations.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was not able to watch but looked at the box score. Only 8 played. Why was the bench so short? Why no Patella, Deloney etc.? Were they dressed? Any news?
I watched game on flo. Patella also played 3 minutes in first half.
My take Fiorillo was key. A couple of 3's and 3 rebounds as Davis sat at about 10 minutes in second have with 3 fouls.
This tournament had some real close games. Many evenly matched teams.
Hopefully 6-2 after Sat. Game on ESPN+ 5:00pm.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Still trying to figure out how Appy shot 10-23 from 3-point range and we were even in this game, much less able to win it. Other than maybe "don't put us on the line so much" I think ASU is trying to figure out what they would have wanted to do differently today.

2-1 on the Florida swing is certainly worth writing home about. This was every bit the evenly matched field we thought it would be, so I'm much more interested in getting the 2 W's than I am worrying about whatever "place" we finished. That said, I do think the record masks a few things: we were not that great offensively the last few days, particularly from deep. We knew it could be a concern this season, and I don't think that concern has gone away at all. Conversely, I thought our defense was tremendous and really has been solid through the first 7 games, even in defeat. Despite practically the same personnel, that's the biggest difference I see between last year and this year: our defensive energy is night and day compared to last season. That alone will win us some games, and keep us in some others.

Glad to end on a win, because things don't get easier from here: six pretty competitive games, four on the road. And the two home games are Colgate (likely Patriot frontrunner) and Dartmouth (who beat Georgetown, and has played us tough as of late). Get those wins while we can!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think the rotation will be shorter against decent to good teams like we saw against App State. The key to the team will be Gibson and Fiorillo. Love Bailey's effort but he's a non scorer. Gibson, if he keeps playing at a decent level will eat his minutes as well as Robin's. Deloney hasn't really developed and doesn't have the size to be a better defender than the rest. Finn was a great addition. He's a fiery competitor. Hard to believe but walk-on Fiorillo is the key to the team's ceiling. Becker yelled at him for being soft during a timeout against Oakland. He has size and skill to guard forwards and shoot 3's. Someone has to spell Powell and Davis in the frontcourt. Beckett won't play here outside of garbage time. After having seen Lefebvre, I don't think he'll play here. I had high hopes but despite having the size and athleticism, he's not coordinated nor can he shoot whatsoever. I saw him do big man drills with Fiorillo and Davis close to the basket and he missed like 70% of his shots. Most (baby hooks and short jump shots) weren't even close. I still think we should win the conference though because Powell has made himself into an all-league type player, the addition of Gibson and Finn, and we know what we have in Davis and Shungu.

·
Registered
576 Posts
After having seen Lefebvre, I don't think he'll play here. I had high hopes but despite having the size and athleticism, he's not coordinated nor can he shoot whatsoever. I saw him do big man drills with Fiorillo and Davis close to the basket and he missed like 70% of his shots. Most (baby hooks and short jump shots) weren't even close. I still think we should win the conference though because Powell has made himself into an all-league type player, the addition of Gibson and Finn, and we know what we have in Davis and Shungu.
this is what people thought about both Powell and Davis during their first two years. I would relax. Let the kid develop. Has not had a normal season with the team yet to develop - hard to really get int the flow with covid impacting schedules so much.

Also, you crazy if you think Deloney and Patella won't get time. Sure Gibson will eat some minutes, but we are too thin for these two not to play.

·
Registered
153 Posts
this is what people thought about both Powell and Davis during their first two years. I would relax. Let the kid develop. Has not had a normal season with the team yet to develop - hard to really get int the flow with covid impacting schedules so much.

Also, you crazy if you think Deloney and Patella won't get time. Sure Gibson will eat some minutes, but we are too thin for these two not to play.
That's not true. People knew Davis could shoot, he just had to get acclimated as a freshman. Powell's shot was on line, it was just flat and needed some arc. Lefebvre, at no point, has shown he can shoot. He's off left, right, and has little to no depth perception. He's not even close to sniffing minutes on the court in his 2nd year. Did I say Deloney and Patella wouldn't play? Go back and read. Patella is a situational defender who's actually regressed in his shooting so far (missing open 3's), that's why his minutes have dropped. Deloney is the worst defender getting minutes right now. Not for lack of effort but people shoot right over him. And on offense, Gibson, while not fully integrated, is more comfortable operating in the offense than Deloney. If Deloney isn't going to be an offensive threat out there, then he's a liability and doesn't deserve minutes over Gibson or Robin.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's not true. People knew Davis could shoot, he just had to get acclimated as a freshman. Powell's shot was on line, it was just flat and needed some arc. Lefebvre, at no point, has shown he can shoot. He's off left, right, and has little to no depth perception. He's not even close to sniffing minutes on the court in his 2nd year. Did I say Deloney and Patella wouldn't play? Go back and read. Patella is a situational defender who's actually regressed in his shooting so far (missing open 3's), that's why his minutes have dropped. Deloney is the worst defender getting minutes right now. Not for lack of effort but people shoot right over him. And on offense, Gibson, while not fully integrated, is more comfortable operating in the offense than Deloney. If Deloney isn't going to be an offensive threat out there, then he's a liability and doesn't deserve minutes over Gibson or Robin.
I hope you're wrong about LeFebvre, but I have to admit that he reminds me a lot of Ra Kpedi at this point.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think the rotation will be shorter against decent to good teams like we saw against App State. The key to the team will be Gibson and Fiorillo. Love Bailey's effort but he's a non scorer. Gibson, if he keeps playing at a decent level will eat his minutes as well as Robin's. Deloney hasn't really developed and doesn't have the size to be a better defender than the rest. Finn was a great addition. He's a fiery competitor. Hard to believe but walk-on Fiorillo is the key to the team's ceiling. Becker yelled at him for being soft during a timeout against Oakland. He has size and skill to guard forwards and shoot 3's. Someone has to spell Powell and Davis in the frontcourt. Beckett won't play here outside of garbage time. After having seen Lefebvre, I don't think he'll play here. I had high hopes but despite having the size and athleticism, he's not coordinated nor can he shoot whatsoever. I saw him do big man drills with Fiorillo and Davis close to the basket and he missed like 70% of his shots. Most (baby hooks and short jump shots) weren't even close. I still think we should win the conference though because Powell has made himself into an all-league type player, the addition of Gibson and Finn, and we know what we have in Davis and Shungu.
I believe Lefebvre has good enough athletic and skill ability to be a factor here. The staff has a way of developing post players. Long list of efficient post players that didn't start right away.
Also getting hung up on our bigs having to shoot 3's makes no sense. Becker wants bigs that rebound and defend. Shooting 3's is a luxury. Just 2 examples are Giddens and Dingba.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Georges L has played as a SF and PF for all his time in NC…He was an all state player there… Barely played back to the basket…He can protect the rim, defend the guards, rebound.. offensively he can drive and finish, is a good passer and was a 35% 3 pt shooter in HS… Fairly, people in Vermont have barely seen him play, out of position, less then 30 min since he arrived in Burlington during garbage minutes… He is still among the youngest player (2002. as Alamutu and Guillory , he will turn 20 in January) on this team and most likely currrently one of the most athletic in this team too…6-8or 6-9, 225/230, physical, good pace…Until we see him fail or succeed on the court we should be patient and trust the recruitment and coaching of UVM….

·
Registered
7 Posts
Georges L has played as a SF and PF for all his time in NC…He was an all state player there… Barely played back to the basket…He can protect the rim, defend the guards, rebound.. offensively he can drive and finish, is a good passer and was a 35% 3 pt shooter in HS… Fairly, people in Vermont have barely seen him play, out of position, less then 30 min since he arrived in Burlington during garbage minutes… He is still among the youngest player (2002. as Alamutu and Guillot , he will turn 20 in January) on this team and most likely currrently one of the most athletic in this team too…6-8or 6-9, 225/230, physical, good pace…Until we see him fail or succeed on the court we should be patient and trust the recruitment and coaching of UVM….

121 - 140 of 161 Posts