Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I thought Lefebvre played great in the Barre practice scrimmage, but he hasn't seen much playing time since. He is actually in his freshman year now and I see no reason he won't be a valuable contributor. At Barre he was the biggest scorer on his team, but it is his defense that seemed to need work. He's bigger and stronger than he was when he got to UVM. I don't know where the "uncoordinated" descriptor came from, but his hands have looked fine. He's a little gangly because he's still growing.

Fiorillo is a year ahead of him and has shown considerable development. I expect the same from Lefebvre.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yeah, not really sure what the other poster was so down about. He's a freshman. UVM does.a great job at developing players over their 4+ years. Clearly needed that red-shirt year and has shown some nice flashes so far. No need to get so down when there's still 4 years ahead.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Agree with the pro- Georges comments. Wait and see. We old-timers remember a gangly freshman who went on to become one of the greatest Catamounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
That's not true. People knew Davis could shoot, he just had to get acclimated as a freshman. Powell's shot was on line, it was just flat and needed some arc. Lefebvre, at no point, has shown he can shoot. He's off left, right, and has little to no depth perception. He's not even close to sniffing minutes on the court in his 2nd year. Did I say Deloney and Patella wouldn't play? Go back and read. Patella is a situational defender who's actually regressed in his shooting so far (missing open 3's), that's why his minutes have dropped. Deloney is the worst defender getting minutes right now. Not for lack of effort but people shoot right over him. And on offense, Gibson, while not fully integrated, is more comfortable operating in the offense than Deloney. If Deloney isn't going to be an offensive threat out there, then he's a liability and doesn't deserve minutes over Gibson or Robin.
This is a bonkers take and nothing more than revisionism.

Like others have said, post players take time to develop. Neither proved they could shoot their Freshman year.
Powell shot 36% fg and 25% from 3.
Davis shot 39% fg and 21% from 3.

Plus, we have a more senior heavy team than we've had in quite some time.

So relax. Give a kid a year at least to develop, maybe even more with the way Covid has impacted things.

·
U of AZ 72
163 Posts
this is what people thought about both Powell and Davis during their first two years. I would relax. Let the kid develop. Has not had a normal season with the team yet to develop - hard to really get int the flow with covid impacting schedules so much.

Also, you crazy if you think Deloney and Patella won't get time. Sure Gibson will eat some minutes, but we are too thin for these two not to play.
Remember, Davis had foot problems his 1st yr . and came back next yr in much better physical shape. We have missed badly recently on some bigs but I haven't given up on Lefevre. Saw him make an impressive move and dunk at the scrimmage and once again during the season . He did seem to have a decent foul shot at the scrimmage but I didn't pay much attention to his other shooting . I think he's athletic and coordinated enough to progress. If he can defend and make a few dunks ( remember Giddens and Dingba) he'll be playing but hoping for much more than that.
Deloney looked good at the scrimmage and think Bailey will get his minutes but maybe not as many as in the past

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am not close to being ready to write Georges off. Give him time. With the (more than likely?) departures of Davis, Powell, Demuth next year, he should have much more opportunity to see the floor. I would like to see him put more meat on those bones.
I kind of had my heart set on Powell returning. After all, it will be "his" team, similar to Benny now. Demuth, I expect, to graduate and move on, unless something drastic happens and that could happen. I hope Davis does another year, but that's, well, just hope.

Give Georges some time. Yes, there have been flashes. Last year wasn't a year. It was chaos. And, of course, you can't teach size. He's a specimen, similar to Giddens. Staff has done wonders developing talent.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Is there any info about exactly what DeMuth's injury is and when he is likely to return?
Word on the street is that he has a nagging hip issue. No idea what his timeline is or if there even is one. I’m sure Becker would like to have him back, given how thin our front court is, but I don’t think Becker has any idea if or when he’ll be able to contribute.

·
Registered
971 Posts
This is overgeneralizing but….Other than the rare unicorn like Jameel Warney, I think most big guys at this level tend to fall in one of three buckets (otherwise they probably would be playing higher).

1. Guys who are not visibly strong or athletic, but who have soft hands and good footwork that can be developed. Examples are Davis and Urquhardt. Nick Guadarrama at UNH is another.

2. Guys who have good length and athleticism, but who struggle with cleanly catching the ball and with their footwork. Giddens and Dingba are in that group.

3. Guys who are just big, but are not particularly skilled or particularly athletic. There have been plenty of these guys in the league over the last 20 years.

Group 1 almost always pans out to be really effective by the third year. Group 2 almost always contributes something impactful by the end, usually defensively and on the glass. Some guys in Group 3 can at least eat some minutes and clog the lane by their senior year if they haven’t transferred out.

Relative to Georges, I think he‘s harder than usual to peg at this point. Part of that is we haven’t seen much of him. Part of it also is that what limited evidence we have seen has had elements of all three groups. But I struggle to see him as a group 3 guy. I think if he sticks it out and keeps working, he’ll give us something valuable. If he’s still glued to the bench this time next year, that‘s different.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bill Murray - You sound like someone that's a super fan but doesn't know much about basketball. Bonkers take? Davis was known for shooting and Powell just had to fix his arc. I watched Lefebvre miss 70% of his shots from inside 10 feet in a big man drill with Fiorillo and Davis at the Gulf Coast Showcase. Most of the posters in here could hit 70% unguarded. Senior laden team has nothing to do with it. He's not good enough or coordinated enough to even get garbage minutes at this point. It's possible he's a man child growing into his body, but at this point, he's pretty far away.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Bill Murray - You sound like someone that's a super fan but doesn't know much about basketball. Bonkers take? Davis was known for shooting and Powell just had to fix his arc.
I would give it a rest. You're using odd anecdotal "evidence" and twisting the argument. Davis took years to develop a decent 3-pt shot and was not know for shooting at first. He didn't play all too much. As for Powell, you make fixing your shot sound easy. It took years for him as well to get to this point. It takes time and you're impatient.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bill Murray - You sound like someone that's a super fan but doesn't know much about basketball. Bonkers take? Davis was known for shooting and Powell just had to fix his arc. I watched Lefebvre miss 70% of his shots from inside 10 feet in a big man drill with Fiorillo and Davis at the Gulf Coast Showcase. Most of the posters in here could hit 70% unguarded. Senior laden team has nothing to do with it. He's not good enough or coordinated enough to even get garbage minutes at this point. It's possible he's a man child growing into his body, but at this point, he's pretty far away.
You may 100% right but you see it from the angle of post players…Georges never played there…Youhave limited amount of time watching him play looking at the basket instead of having his back to it…You also barely see him play transition basketball or pass the ball or shoot like a power forward or small forward does…Defensively same as he his à much more dynamic defender that you have seen, is a good shot blocker too…As much as I respect the way UVM grooms him they know that he is not à center but needs kind of cover as Davis is the only one in the roster….Georges is a much better athlete that you may have seen; reach, pace, jump, game vision both side of the court ….Fairly too, Fiorillo also has played more as a 4 in HS then center, has become a decent defender and shows flashes of his true skills as an outside shooter and good passer but he is nowhere near Georges on pace, jump and ability to drive to the basket…I saw Georges match up with big centres in AAU when the team needed cover and played him out of position, he was even 20 pounds lighter then and he can do a decent defending job there but it’s clearly not how he can bring the most on the court…Again, Until we see him play more then 5 min or less moments in garbage time , out of position, I respectfully think that it is it’s still pretty unrealistic to make the call on his possibilities one way or the other….

·
Premium Member
34,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Davis struggled mightily his freshman season. My understanding is he was dealing with a foot injury, but I don’t think after that season anyone could predict he’d turn into the player he has, much less a POY. I think at the time I’d have hoped he’d turn into a serviceable starter, but he’s obviously blown past that and has added an array of skills.

Anyways, each player develops at own pace and Lefebvre really hasn’t had the benefit of meaningful minutes yet to assess one way or the other. Hopefully he gets that opportunity, but the raw talent is definitely there, from what I’ve seen.

Reactions: Cats Canada

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
As for Powell, you make fixing your shot sound easy. It took years for him as well to get to this point. It takes time and you're impatient.
Just take the thing you're not doing well and start doing it better instead. How hard is that?! Duh!

Not to be smug about it, but this whole Lefebvre discussion is the problem with winning. We're sitting here mircoanalyzing the 12th guy off the bench who has played 18 career minutes. He's got a lot of real estate ahead of him. Maybe he doesn't progress a lot further. But I think it's a bit premature to make that decision.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Agree Cats Canada, I'm commenting on where he is now. I think we'll have to see next year as he didn't even get garbage time against Dartmouth. I was expecting more given his size and measurables not someone that can't make 30% inside 10 feet unguarded in his 2nd year. We only have Fiorillo, who is still gaining his confidence, to back up Powell and Davis, so extremely thin there should injury or foul trouble occur.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just take the thing you're not doing well and start doing it better instead. How hard is that?! Duh!

Not to be smug about it, but this whole Lefebvre discussion is the problem with winning. We're sitting here mircoanalyzing the 12th guy off the bench who has played 18 career minutes. He's got a lot of real estate ahead of him. Maybe he doesn't progress a lot further. But I think it's a bit premature to make that decision.
The point people are missing is that he's not the same as Davis..or even Powell so it's pointless to compare 3 point percentage when Lefebre can't make shoot from inside 10 feet unguarded. It's pertinent, he's at position of need given that we only have Davis and Powell with Fiorillo to spell them for big men. That's a razor thin margin should injury or foul trouble occur at an inopportune time. I doubt this was Becker's plan.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would give it a rest. You're using odd anecdotal "evidence" and twisting the argument. Davis took years to develop a decent 3-pt shot and was not know for shooting at first. He didn't play all too much. As for Powell, you make fixing your shot sound easy. It took years for him as well to get to this point. It takes time and you're impatient.
You obviously can't see that they are in no way comparable players and that it was in no way Becker's plan to go into the season with 3 playable bigs. Davis was a stretch 5 coming out of high school. That was the report as has proven to be true. "Anecdotal evidence" of what? A guy that doesn't get garbage time against Dartmouth or shoot at all from inside 10 feet? Is that enough evidence from you.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The point people are missing is that he's not the same as Davis..or even Powell so it's pointless to compare 3 point percentage when Lefebre can't make shoot from inside 10 feet unguarded. It's pertinent, he's at position of need given that we only have Davis and Powell with Fiorillo to spell them for big men. That's a razor thin margin should injury or foul trouble occur at an inopportune time. I doubt this was Becker's plan.
Is it possible that a pregame "drill" isn't necessarily indicative of someone's shooting acumen? I saw him play virtually the full game in the Barre scrimmage and I thought that he was one of the best players on the floor. He shot 8-10 and was 3 for 3 from the line. He also had a very nice move and blowby dunk. He was guarded by Davis or Powell and was still the most efficient scorer on his team.

I'd hoped to see much more of him but perhaps he is still learning the offense or how he's expected to play in the defensive system. I think that he is one of the more athletic guys on the team. I'm personally looking forward to all the Lefebvre minutes I can get, when they happen.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Not to beat this to death (too late?), but I’d bet on this being more about defense than offense. In what limited evidence I’ve seen, Georges did not look all that comfortable on that end. And we all know by now that if you can’t defend in our system, you don’t play.

That said, Fiorillo did not exactly do himself any favors last night. He was pretty soft defensively and a step late multiple times. Becker was not amused. Occasionally in the past, he’s used situations like this to give someone else a shot. Not really expecting that here, but you never know.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts