Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could be a tough matchup for UVM. Harvard has two preseason all-ivy big men, including the preseason POY for whatever that is worth. Tough matchup for Klimes and Holm. Harvard was also picked at number 2 preseason in the ivy. Harvard is green in the backcourt, they graduated all there starting guards from last year. I expect this game to be very close, a good early season test for UVM. Harvard beat PR-mayaguez by 20 in an exhibition.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
FWIW, NU beat PR-Mayaguez 80-44 W/O Barea, so that doesn't bother me. I'm more worried about the aforementioned frontcourt.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
The key difference in this game is the front-court...Cusworth and Stehle, who have 1st Team All-Ivy talent, are going to be a nightmare for UVM to match-up with, especially if Klimes and/or Holm draws a couple quick fouls. But after that, I couldn't help but notice the similarities between the Cats and the Crimson: they're both young, inexperienced teams (I think Harvard has like 7 freshmen, and like 4 other younger guys who haven't played many minutes). They're will be quite a few freshman guards in this game (Harvard has one kid from Seton Hall Prep who played quite well in the exhibition, and might be their 3rd best player, really). But with Harvard holding those 2 aces in the post, I think that'll be what puts Harvard over the top.

·
Premium Member
33,355 Posts
I do believe this will be a tough matchup for UVM, and feel that both teams are pretty close in terms of overall talent.

Should be a good one....would be nice to leave southern New England on Monday 1-1.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Cushworth is 7 feet tall and awful. He really is terrible. I saw him 4 times last year, adn the biggest thing he did was miss a dunk and get a technical foul... Not an athletic team. People talked about UVM not being athletic, Harvard makes them look like the globetrotters.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Harvard has always been tough in their gym. I checked the records back to 1986-87 season (the beginning of the TB era) and the Cats were 7-2 against Harvard at Patrick Gym, but only 2-5 in Boston, with losses in the last 4 trips to Harvard. Four of the last six games were decided by single digits.

While I have not actually crunched the data for all the OOC games in the last 19 years, it appears that Dartmouth has been an annual OOC opponent, and Harvard is next with 16 games.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
icemchine9 said:
I think UVM is actually a bit more athletic this year then last. Just a lot less skilled and experienced.
How do you figure that?

We lost Mopa and Hehn, two very athletic lockdown D type of guys. Trimboli is not nearly where Sorrentine was "athletically" last year. Coppenrath was certainly more athletic then Holm. I look at this year's team and worry about them being overmatched athletically.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
If you go through the roster up and down there are more athletes this year. Hehn was not a good athlete. He was decent and could guard, but he wasn't a good athlete. I think McCrory is just as athletic as Germain if not more. I don't think we've had an athlete like McIntosh in a while. Schneider is athletic, Klimes seems more athletic this year. Jensen isn't on the team anymore...that makes a huge difference.

Taylor wasn't a great athlete either. We were not an athletic team last year, we were skilled.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If McCrory this year is more athletic than Germain was last year, I am one happy camper.
Love to see him match the rebounding stats and I'd love to see him dunk his little heart out.

However, I never saw Hehn get tired, what is the measure of a good athlete?
And throwing Jensen in isn't even fair, the guy had two blown knees.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
One of the best athlete's UVM ever had was Mike Goia. No one thinks athlete with him. But he could JUMP, run, had great coordination, and was strong as a BULL. Its amazing that he never amounted to much in the AE and transfered to a DIII school. I remember his last year at UVM (2 years ago) me and some friends showed up really really early for the UVM BU game, and we kept yelling at him to dunk. He threw down some insane ones. a couple of 180 alley-oops too... thus end the rant...

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
mainejeff said:
Harvard got a Top 25 vote this week in the AP Poll. :krazy:
that might be the single dumbest thing I have ever seen... well, maybe not that far, but still, that is moronic... anyone other than me going to the game?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Its completely fair to throw in Jensen...he was on the team. So what if his knees were gone, that makes him unathletic and helps make this years team more athletic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts