Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1081 - 1100 of 1121 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
https://vtdigger.org/2019/05/18/new-uvm-athletics-center-surpasses-fundraising-goal/?is_wppwa=true&wpappninja_cache=friendly

So it sounds like the main hold up this spring was that the trustees had give another round of approval now that the administration has the financing and permits in place....and the trustees only meet every 4-5 months.

Without all this internal (UVM) and external (state) bureaucracy we could’ve been playing in the new facility this coming winter.

I agrees with the others; delays are unfortunate but more importantly at the end of the day seeing shovels in the ground is what relieves my anxiety.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
We've played in Patrick Gym for almost 60 years. Seriously, what's another 2? Any actual number is improvement over what we previously had: "We may be playing in Patrick for an infinite number of years." This is as real as it's ever been. Big day!

Besides, for all its warts I'm going to miss the hell out of Patrick. I don't mind drinking it in for a little while longer.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Coach Becker on 101.3 this morning said he's on campus today for a ceremonial groundbreaking.

The bad news is that, per Schulman, we may have two full seasons in Patrick to go.
The start of construction is within a month or two of what they have been saying all along, with a 2020 finish date; so for them to now say it will not be until 2021 is disappointing. Feels like we were strung along a bit.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The 2020 opening date always seemed out of reach to me. The last thing we want is for the contractors to do a rush job. Take the necessary time to build it right.

I'm curious what this does for recruiting? The 2020 recruits will only have one year in Patrick and when they visit campus construction will be underway. 2021 recruits will get to play their freshmen year in a brand new facility.

Exciting times indeed. You got to hand to Schulman, he was hired to get this done and it's happening.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rule #1 in construction is that everything takes longer than expected.
Still, I agree with all who say that wait is worth it.
Patrick was an uncomfortable gym the first time I went there in the mid 60s. And I was barely 5' tall then. Now it's just unbearably painful on my old body when I visit a couple times a year. (It's always been a fun place to play, however.)
Can't wait for the new building.

Well done, everyone who pulled this project together.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The 2020 opening date always seemed out of reach to me. The last thing we want is for the contractors to do a rush job. Take the necessary time to build it right.

I'm curious what this does for recruiting? The 2020 recruits will only have one year in Patrick and when they visit campus construction will be underway. 2021 recruits will get to play their freshmen year in a brand new facility.

Exciting times indeed. You got to hand to Schulman, he was hired to get this done and it's happening.
I agree the 2020 date seemed unrealistic. But they consistently set the expectations that it would be completed by then. Now the party line is this is an 18-24 month project, likely pushing it out to 2021. Even if they started in March, 18 months best case is the only way it would have been ready for 2020 season. So in that respect I think they knowingly set an unreasonable finish date to drum up excitement for the project. Now I’m hoping they focus more on the Gut renovation to be completed by 2020 and the new Arena 2021.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Another note on construction, especially in extensive renovation projects of old buildings like this (compared to plopping an apartment building in an SB or Williston cornfield) is just how much legwork is needed before you start shoveling dirt around and pouring the foundation.

I say this because what one defines “construction start date” may not fit the image of an excavator digging a foundation. There’s going to be a lot of utility work, disconnecting the sewer and water lines from the old complex, etc, that will need to be completed before anyone starts pounding steal. I expect the contractor to start this work very soon, but I wouldn’t expect the more noticeable activity (complete with earth movers and excavators) to begin until late summer.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
As much as I love the Events Center at UMBC, I’m a bit jealous of what your dollar gets you in Burlington.

We had to spend quite a bit more than we expected and I think some parts of the facility suffered as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
As much as I love the Events Center at UMBC, I’m a bit jealous of what your dollar gets you in Burlington.

We had to spend quite a bit more than we expected and I think some parts of the facility suffered as a result.
The cost overruns haven't started on this project yet so your jealousy may not be called for. I always have expected the final cost of any construction to be whatever the contractors can squeeze out of you.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
The cost overruns haven't started on this project yet so your jealousy may not be called for. I always have expected the final cost of any construction to be whatever the contractors can squeeze out of you.

You aren’t kidding. Part of our cost overrun was I guess a huge piece of granite in the side of the hill.

I would have thought in 2016 you could do a scan of the ground and see what’s there but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I'm wondering how the existing season ticket holders will be seated in the new arena. Will we get a seat which corresponds to our current seat relative to the court? If your current seat is near the court will you be re-assigned into the nosebleed seats so that your current seat can be sold for the big bucks? Frankly, I'd rather watch on AETV than sit in row ZZ and watch small dots move around on a tiny rectangle.

1081 - 1100 of 1121 Posts