Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1101 - 1120 of 1136 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I'm wondering how the existing season ticket holders will be seated in the new arena. Will we get a seat which corresponds to our current seat relative to the court? If your current seat is near the court will you be re-assigned into the nosebleed seats so that your current seat can be sold for the big bucks? Frankly, I'd rather watch on AETV than sit in row ZZ and watch small dots move around on a tiny rectangle.
The good news about the nosebleeds in the Tarrant Center is that they shouldn't be quite as nosebleedy. With a similar number of seats as Patrick, but distributed around the entirety of the court, it'll probably be more like 20 rows deep than 30 I would think. I went to a game at Quinnipiac a few years back (looks to be comparable capacity to what Tarrant will be) and sat up toward the back near the concourse. There really wasn't a bad seat.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but just sayin'.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm all in on good seats, and it sounds like we'll have them. Now how about the offerings at the concession?
I know it is early in the construction process, but is there anyone on this board who is in the Burlington area and could give us the occasional photo update of the constructions site as this thing comes out of the ground? Or does the university have a "construction cam" planned or any other links to follow this? Would be kind of fun to check in on the progress from time to time.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I know it is early in the construction process, but is there anyone on this board who is in the Burlington area and could give us the occasional photo update of the constructions site as this thing comes out of the ground? Or does the university have a "construction cam" planned or any other links to follow this? Would be kind of fun to check in on the progress from time to time.
Great idea!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would post photo updates if I could figure out how to upload an image on this forum. It's always telling me that my file size is too large. Maybe I'll upload to imgur or twitter and link it here.

I think that UVM currently does concessions through Sodexo, just like their meal plans. I would hope that given more room, the quality and quantity of food and beverages offered would increase.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Who's going to start the thread where we post all the the things that we're going to complain about, now that we seem to finally have a new arena on the horizon?

Here's a start:
season ticket location
concession offerings
ticket prices
not enough seats
parking still sucks
too many seats
traffic is a pain, getting out
bathroom location
not enough bathrooms
we have a new arena - why aren't we Gonzaga?

That ought to get the ball rolling...

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Jeff Shulman (@uvmadschulman) tweeted out a photo of the horseshoe lot, where the new building is going, cleared out and being blocked off as construction is set to begin.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Just checked out the Arena construction webcam. Looks like they're finally finished with the stormwater system and should be ready to start excavating the foundation soon, assuming internal demolition is complete.

At this rate (all summer just for stormwater!) I can't imagine there's any possibility for a 2020-21 opening.

https://www.uvm.edu/arch/campus-multipurpose-center
I was up there not too long ago. I think it's best if we all just prep for two more full seasons in Patrick Gym (this year and next year).

Anyone going to hockey this weekend will be in for some small surprises. Gutterson has actually bore the brunt of the construction effects thus far, it looks like. And from my understanding, it'll change more mid-season.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I walked my dog around UVM a few days ago and agree that the arena site has a long way to go before the foundations can be poured. Maybe I'll invest in a better cushion since I can probably get two seasons out of it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It just occurred to me that with the construction going on, I will not be able to use my normal path of egress. Who do I talk to about moving this thing along?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
It just occurred to me that with the construction going on, I will not be able to use my normal path of egress. Who do I talk to about moving this thing along?
I had the same thought. I have to use the front entrance now? I just started feeling comfortable last year going from the horseshoe lot entrance through the maze past the indoor lacrosse room (who knew?) up the stairs down the hallway through the concessions closet and into the Patrick lobby.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about construction, so this may be a silly question...

Do they need to dig down at all for this building? I feel like if they do, they probably want to start that process pretty soon as the ground is going to start to freeze soon.

From Shulman's speech the other night, it seemed like they are still counting on playing in there for the 21-22 season, so not toooooo far away. So Robin, Davis, Isaiah, Demuth, Deloney, Beckett, Floriollo, Deng, and Garrison should all be able to play in there!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I see holes being dug in the foreground and it looks like they've framed some stuff in on the right. Maybe for laying pipe? Preliminary stuff for sure. I wonder if this is the slowest part of the process?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Every time I check out the live webcams (which is about twice per week), there is nothing going on construction-wise.
I am sure there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff that needs to be done before we actually see digging and the frame for the new building.

They have given themselves 2+ years to finish this for the 2021-22 season, so it’s not like they need to work in breakneck speed. I’m sure it will be done by then. That said, around this time last year, they were saying this could be done by the 2020-21 season, which seemed overly optimistic, and in my opinion a ploy on their part to drum up excitement. As soon as construction began, they pushed it out a year. I’ve also heard they have scaled back some of the improvements to the Gut, specifically in regards to the concourse and seating on the south side of the rink. Wonder if anyone can confirm this?

·
Comrade Fox
1,885 Posts
I am sure there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff that needs to be done before we actually see digging and the frame for the new building.

They have given themselves 2+ years to finish this for the 2021-22 season, so it’s not like they need to work in breakneck speed. I’m sure it will be done by then. That said, around this time last year, they were saying this could be done by the 2020-21 season, which seemed overly optimistic, and in my opinion, an intentional pipe dream on their part to drum up excitement. As soon as construction began, they pushed it out a year. I’ve also heard they have scaled back some of the improvements to the Gut, specially in regards to the concourse and seating on the south side of the rink. Wonder if anyone can confirm this?
The best way to improve the Gutt is to have an actually good hockey team in there

·
Premium Member
33,139 Posts
UVM Hockey, “We were good those times”.

1101 - 1120 of 1136 Posts