Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1121 - 1140 of 1141 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I am sure there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff that needs to be done before we actually see digging and the frame for the new building.

They have given themselves 2+ years to finish this for the 2021-22 season, so it’s not like they need to work in breakneck speed. I’m sure it will be done by then. That said, around this time last year, they were saying this could be done by the 2020-21 season, which seemed overly optimistic, and in my opinion a ploy on their part to drum up excitement. As soon as construction began, they pushed it out a year. I’ve also heard they have scaled back some of the improvements to the Gut, specifically in regards to the concourse and seating on the south side of the rink. Wonder if anyone can confirm this?
If they're scaling back the concourse on the south side that is the stupidest thing you could do. That's the single most needed structural improvement they need to made Gutterson more user friendly and remotely modern. If they don't have the concourse there, how the hell is any media member supposed to get in and out of the press box that they're placing there and replacing seats? They going to climb over the ledge? There's no point to the renovation if they're not doing that part. But, should anyone be surprised much anymore? All smoke and mirrors with this project anyway.

It also gives them another excuse for the men's hockey team to blow chunks and keep Sneddon employed for another 20 years so he can set the all-time losses record in college hockey history (he's already in the top 20 in total losses and worst winning percentage all time). FYI, the all-time loss leader is Jerry York. Only thing is he's got 1,000+ wins and five national titles.

·
Registered
495 Posts
What is the latest with construction and timeframe? I occassionally look at the webcams and often nothing is going on but once in a while I see a bit of activity.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
What is the latest with construction and timeframe? I occassionally look at the webcams and often nothing is going on but once in a while I see a bit of activity.
I think they're allowed to have a small crew work on the interior renovations of Gutterson because they can maintain social distance guidelines. I don't know this for sure, however. That's going to be the priority though, because that work needs to be on pace for if there's a hockey season because the teams still have to practice and play in there. Maybe if VT is not impacted by a second wave and people continue to be responsible, that allows for UVM to resume some work on the new arena. We'll see. First consistently nice week of spring/summer weather on a holiday weekend with lots of people stuck inside for the last 2 months and opening the beaches could lead to another big uptick in cases and we're back to square one.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I heard a rumor that work was being shut down for the remainder of the year. Has anyone else heard that? It looks like all the heavy equipment has been removed so that seems to lend some credibility to what I heard.

·
Premium Member
33,201 Posts
I heard a rumor that work was being shut down for the remainder of the year. Has anyone else heard that? It looks like all the heavy equipment has been removed so that seems to lend some credibility to what I heard.
I have no inside info but I'd be shocked if this project commences in the near-term in the current environment. UVM certainly can't afford it now (what will even be headcount on full-freight students in September?), could barely afford it before, and in light of all the firings and undoubtedly further cuts to come the optics on something like this not great.

Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have no inside info but I'd be shocked if this project commences in the near-term in the current environment. UVM certainly can't afford it now (what will even be headcount on full-freight students in September?), could barely afford it before, and in light of all the firings and undoubtedly further cuts to come the optics on something like this not great.
While it looks bad when you’re building a new arena when firing people, don’t they have no choice if they want to keep the donations?

Hope that didn’t cone across wrong, I’d much rather UVM keep all it’s employees than have the arena.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yeah, I noticed those massive cranes they put in in early-March, just ahead of the lockdown orders, were dismantled and removed last week. I'm not sure they were ever put to use, at least when construction activity was (legally) allowed to resume on May 22.

It's not about "optics" (though I bet that's what people will say), it's just the direness of the situation and this was a costly project and those donations you speak of only made up ~$27m of nearly ~$100m project. Speaking for those donations, A) I don't think they were actually "donations", but rather commitments and B) Colleges generally don't accept exremely-restricted donations, unless it's for something ambiguous like financial aid. The last thing they want is a lawsuit.

UVM simply no longer possesses the financial resources to take projects like this on. Harvard's is even stopping all capital projects. So yeah, it's not gonna happen. Maybe in 2040 they'll finally come up with a dual-purpose arena in that 5,000-6,000 seat capacity.

·
Premium Member
33,201 Posts
Yeah, I noticed those massive cranes they put in in early-March, just ahead of the lockdown orders, were dismantled and removed last week. I'm not sure they were ever put to use, at least when construction activity was (legally) allowed to resume on May 22.

It's not about "optics" (though I bet that's what people will say), it's just the direness of the situation and this was a costly project and those donations you speak of only made up ~$27m of nearly ~$100m project. Speaking for those donations, A) I don't think they were actually "donations", but rather commitments and B) Colleges generally don't accept exremely-restricted donations, unless it's for something ambiguous like financial aid. The last thing they want is a lawsuit.

UVM simply no longer possesses the financial resources to take projects like this on. Harvard's is even stopping all capital projects. So yeah, it's not gonna happen. Maybe in 2040 they'll finally come up with a dual-purpose arena in that 5,000-6,000 seat capacity.

Agreed. Of course, it's more about the dollars than the optics but moving forward on construction of a new arena that likely will not even allow fans for the foreseeable future in the current environment is about as bad optics as it gets.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Man, this is crazy. The timing is simply mind-boggling. UVM has been trying to build a new arena for a decade or two (maybe longer), finally get a good chunk of the money and the green light, and then all of a sudden the world stops. Obviously, there are much bigger issues going on (covid, racial unrest, businesses closing, etc), but this is a byproduct of it all that really stinks.

·
Premium Member
33,201 Posts
Keeping with the true Vermont spirit, we just can’t have nice things.

Just duct tape Patrick and hopefully play basketball again (?)

Reactions: c00per

·
Registered
209 Posts
Would hope they can find a way to keep working. I understand the Pandemic and other problems we are facing right
now. How many people are they putting out of work though, if they don't continue? These companies and their workers
were looking at 2 years plus of steady work in building the new arenas.
Hope for the best, and that we can all get back to some sort of normal soon.

·
Registered
629 Posts
It looks like construction activity has somewhat resumed at the site. Does anyone have any insight?

Between a fairly successful reopening (undergrad enrollment is down less than 2% and PCR positivity rates have been below 0.05%) and insufficient though meaningful state and federal aid packages UVM's finances, though still blunted, are not in the worst-case-scenario territory.

It could be that they're just doing further clean up and finishing up the Gutterson aspect of the project, but it seems like there's more activity going on in the arena site itself than there has been at any point since March. I also read in Schulman's October newsletter that construction was proceeding, but he seemed purposefully vague which lead me to interpret that he was talking about the Gut and new wellness center components.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I checked out the video stream based on the prior post. There is a decent sized work crew on site and some heavy equipment. I'd guess that they have phased out the project and are working under new budget constraints.

1121 - 1140 of 1141 Posts