Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1141 - 1148 of 1148 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Let me reiterate, I don't have any inside knowledge about this. Just speculation. I'm assuming that they probably just re-worked the time line and will do phases until the financial picture becomes clearer. So, yes, I expect it to take longer.
Looking at the construction cameras I noticed in the last couple of days they seemed to have cleaned up the outside and have stopped construction. I wonder if they are strictly working on the inside of Gutterson now.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Not a lot, but interesting (well really depressing, albeit unsurprising) tidbit in this article on the UVM Arena construction.

The project’s general contractor said he expects the project to remain on hold for at least another 3-5 years. That’s not 3-5 years until completion, rather 3-5 years until we simply get back to the place we were ~14 months ago before construction shutdown (So likely 5-7 years until completion as a best case scenario).

Is there anyway in hell this thing will be built after a six year wait? I’m also wondering what was discussed at the most recent Board meeting the other month. I believe the topic was on the agenda but I don’t remember any press releases or public statement’s on the project’s status afterwards.

The facts is any single $1 that’s not spent on liberal arts and CALS is an uphill battle in today’s environment. The activists nitpick everything. Doesn’t matter if its engineering, athletics, business school or even the med school. The activists won’t be happy until athletics are eliminated and every French professor is put on tenure and makes over $300k. UVM’s board of trustees has ZERO backbone. Smh.

·
Premium Member
33,640 Posts
Wait- nobody ever thought a new basketball arena was seriously ever going to get built, right?

I mean, let’s try and be real here for just one second.

Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Not a lot, but interesting (well really depressing, albeit unsurprising) tidbit in this article on the UVM Arena construction.

The project’s general contractor said he expects the project to remain on hold for at least another 3-5 years. That’s not 3-5 years until completion, rather 3-5 years until we simply get back to the place we were ~14 months ago before construction shutdown (So likely 5-7 years until completion as a best case scenario).

Is there anyway in hell this thing will be built after a six year wait? I’m also wondering what was discussed at the most recent Board meeting the other month. I believe the topic was on the agenda but I don’t remember any press releases or public statement’s on the project’s status afterwards.

The facts is any single $1 that’s not spent on liberal arts and CALS is an uphill battle in today’s environment. The activists nitpick everything. Doesn’t matter if its engineering, athletics, business school or even the med school. The activists won’t be happy until athletics are eliminated and every French professor is put on tenure and makes over $300k. UVM’s board of trustees has ZERO backbone. Smh.
It is so obvious you did not attend UVM at all the way you write about these "activists" and come up with your reactionary and stupid takes.

The board met in executive session last time it was discussed to talk about re-sequencing. You conveniently left out that the hope is this spring they start on the $21 million project to expand the wellness facilities around Patrick Gym, since you know, that's part of the $95 million total facilities project it's not like they've given up. They must figure doing the work around the gym is the best course forward, while the $73 million for the basketball facility has to wait. Oh my gosh, what a surprise! Booey hoo the most expensive thing is going to take the longest to complete and the college's financial situation has changed after a global pandemic plus the real priority of the school is to educate people not have new sports playthings in the first place.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Haven't they already dug the hole for the new arena? I thought I had seen pictures of that posted some time ago.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Haven't they already dug the hole for the new arena? I thought I had seen pictures of that posted some time ago.
Big holes in Burlington aren't anything new. There's a giant one downtown where an old mall used to be thanks to a completely bungled development plan with some shady characters involved. What's one more?

In seriousness, yes there is one. It's going to be delayed because it's the most expensive part. Tough pill to swallow for fans but again, it's not being abandoned completely. They've just moved to another part the school knows it can get done. I don't see how that's not easy to understand given the year this country has been through, and what colleges in general are going through, especially institutions like UVM. It sucks, but it is what it is. But, leave it to resident dipshit to say it's because French professors want $300k a year or that in the midst of programs and funding on the academic side being diminished or eliminated, people would be understandably upset there was $95 mil going towards athletic facilities at a school where athletics loses money and holds no large cultural value to the campus and community at large (it may seem overstated here, but it's truly a blip on the radar statewide).

It'll get built eventually. We wouldn't be having this conversation if not for the pandemic. But because someone can't comprehend basics and is a non-alum who only views the basketball team as an entertainment vessel and not part of a larger institution of higher learning that has other more important priorities, it makes it easy for him to put this much stupidity into writing on a regular basis, these are the takes we get and it takes rational human beings to have to put things in perspective.

1141 - 1148 of 1148 Posts