Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It should be a interesting game. Providence seems down quite a bit, Gomes is gone and their leading returning scorer left the team. Needless to say, Vermont is down. Providence had a close preseason game with Laval U. from Quebec. Hopefully, Vermont can keep this close for a while, they need to boost their confidence going into the home opener against Neveda.

·
Premium Member
33,355 Posts
They will have to play 100% better against this team then they did against Harvard to win, with that said they have had 24 hours to learn from their mistakes in that game.....but hey,

Go Cats!

I hope Donnie McGrath recklessly bombs away, while trying to "find his shot" that he hopefully never finds.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
If its under 20 im calling it a success.

Edit - Crap...this is post 500...id better put more effort into it.

I think both teams are similar in structure (as in both are extremely young.) Providence has some freshmen that will play big minutes just like Vermont. The big difference? Providence recruits Big East players while we are recruiting America East players. Providence should be much more talented. Hopefully their inexperience will lead to a lower scoring game where maybe we can hit some threes to stay in. But we will be outmatched in both skill and athleticism so...if we lose and its under 20 points...we should call it a confidence booster.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Screw that. What do you say if we play Duke? As long as we are within 40 it's a success. C'mon this isn't your typical Big East or even your typical Providence team. We can do better then within 20. We should do better then within 20.

I want to see MacIntosh school McDermott. Providence out recruited us for McDermott and recruited but never offered MacIntosh. Hopefully it's a case of their loss is our gain not the other way around.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the Mike Trimboli show right now in Providence, Vermont leads 30-29 nearing halftime, Trimboli has 18.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
35-30 at the half.
A star is born...Trimboli has 18 at the half.
Man, if we could only hit a few more threes (2-15)
Cieplicki has not made a shot yet this year (0-11) and Klimes is still struggling. C'mon guys....

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big run by Providence to start the 2nd half. This Randall Hanke guy is having his way with us. What's up with our captains, Klime and Cepliecki, they are shooting 2-27 combined this season????

·
Premium Member
33,355 Posts
After deciding against making the 50 minute drive down to Providence to watch the cats, decided to take the game in on the radio.

Bright Spots:

-Trimboli, again. 18 points in the first half, seemed to let up on the throttle in the second half, didn't really do too much. This kid will only get better with each game, which is great because he is already real good.

-Klimes in the second half. Started to ball, unlike the first half when he kept missing chippies per usual. Those misses of his really, really hurt the team because they struggle to get the ball into him as it is and then he can't put it home. Each miss is a momentum shifting situation.

-Holm. The big man had a solid game, contributed. I am happy with those numbers.

-Mccrory- really provided an emotional lift off the bench, was effecient and made some nice plays.

-Full court presure D in the second half. They really frustrated Providence, good to see Lonergan switch up defenses.

The bad:

-Turnovers, sloppy play. They had so many poor possessions, they need to cut that in half.

-Kyle Cieplicki continues to struggle, but luckily Lonergan went with im less in the second half. He just doesn't have it right now, but hopefully he finds his shot. He also made a Chris Webber mistake in the second half before they started to rally, and called a TO and got a technical. Not the kind of stuff you expect from a captain.

-Klimes in the first half. See above.

-Schnieder needs to have shot the ball more in the first half. His first FG attempt in the game came at like 3 or 4 minutes in. He needs to be involved in the offense early, that is clear as day.

-Rob Sisca comes in and just jacks 3's and misses. I am not a fan so far.

-I do not like the way coach Lonergan subs so far, but I realize it is still early. He needs to figure out who he can trust. I would like to see more of Mcintosh.

Other then those negative items, I am REAL PLEASED with how this team performed. When Providence was starting to pull away in the second half and it was looking like a 20 point lead, UVM really fought and battled back to where they were down 8 at one point late in the game, and this was after Providence opened the second half on an 8-0 run. Of course, that was when Klimes was finally starting to hit his shots and Schneider was shooting the ball, but they gave Providence a run for their money.

It bares noting that Providence will definitely be one of the lower 16 in the Big East, as they genuinely struggled with UVM on a lot of occasions, but they were athletic and had some freshmen that were solid in the game. Hanke also shot around 70% last year and he barely missed tonight.

UVM gave a solid effort, I am not upset by any means to the start of the season. One thing is certain, they will definitely compete in league play as they continue to improve.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ginzo said:
McCrory must play more... in my opinion at least.
I agree, more McCrory and more McIntosh. Much fewer minutes for Cieplicki. There is just not enough upside there. Good off the bench guy, but should not be the first option. Klimes MUST stop missing bunnies for UVM to be good. period. They are not going to be a good team without Klimes. He is a physical player, a great defensive player, and a decent outside shooter. He just misses the bunnies, it kills me to watch that.

·
Premium Member
33,355 Posts
hoopcat said:
I agree, more McCrory and more McIntosh. Much fewer minutes for Cieplicki. There is just not enough upside there. Good off the bench guy, but should not be the first option. Klimes MUST stop missing bunnies for UVM to be good. period. They are not going to be a good team without Klimes. He is a physical player, a great defensive player, and a decent outside shooter. He just misses the bunnies, it kills me to watch that.

Excellent post. Agreed, they do need Klimes to be able to consistently hit that shot for them to be succesful. The most back-breaking thing about it is that they work so hard to get him the ball.....and when he misses those, it just sucks. It cannot be stressed enough how much he needs to convert that shot.

They should just put him on his own court in practice and have a coach just feed him the ball in the paint, and take 1,000 shots from each angle...get the medicine ball out and have him touch the back board, old-school basketball camp style or something.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Tromboli and Schnieder looked really good.
There were alot of turnovers and missed open shots, but that's something that improves over the year especially with a young team like yours.
The press really gave us some problems.
In Cieplicki's defense, the PC students were all over him every time he touched the ball for the whole game.
If you guys get more consistent with your shooting, which I think you will, you'll have a pretty damn good team in the American East. Theres definately some promise with some of those freshmen and sophomores. :greatjob:

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Listened to the game on the radio, so you can only get so much feel for it, but I'll make this my opening statement...

This was a big step forward from Saturday. Just about everyone was better against Providence than they were against Harvard, from the top down. While this is a Providence team that will finish closer to the bottom of the Big East than they will to the top, they're no joke: They've got Big East-calibre players and is better than any team in the AE. Vermont was fortunate in some stretches to really capitalize on some Providence mistakes (Friars will be happy to know they had 17 turnovers...and won), as they had some stretches where they were real sloppy (they're a fairly young team, as well). But I've noticed a couple trends, having witnessed the first game and listened to the second...

1. The Cats *have to* limit their turnovers...they have got to take better care of the ball, and while some of that (especially tonight) can be attributed to playing a more talented team, they can't keep giving it away...and that starts with Trimboli. As impressive as he's been so far (and he's been *very* impressive), he has 13 turnovers in 2 games. Though, in fairness, watching that Harvard game I think he got credited with a few TOs that were definitely Klimes' fault.

2. UVM seems to hit these stretches where they just can't score...and, equally as important, can't keep the opposition off the board. Vermont was very lucky that Providence didn't cash in and blow them out of the water in a few spots, because the groundwork was there (more on that in a second). But they can't lag in these droughts, because the better teams in the AE will put them away.

3. These kids don't scare easily. They fell into some double-digit holes at a few points...I think 18 was the largest deficit in the 2nd Half...and with a young squad, against a Big East team, on the road, that game is effectively *over*. But these guys played with a lot of heart...Vermont's not going to win a single game on sheer talent, but they're going to work themselves to death for 40 minutes a night and aren't going to mail it in. That's the attitude they need to keep, so that when the skills catch up to the determination, they'll be ready.

Overall, you gotta grade this one higher than the Harvard game. Trends 1 & 2, while disturbing in the here and now, can hopefully be healed with age, wisdom, and experience as the season progresses...while Trend 3 is a blessing for a young team. Looking forward to Nevada Wednesday...I'll admit, mostly to see Nevada...but I think regardless of how lop-sided the outcome might get, UVM will see it more as a learning experience than a demoralizer.

And finally, 2 completely random notes...

1. My first chance to hear the new "Voice of Catamount Basketball"...I think he's pretty good. Good voice, easy to listen to, seems to know what's going on.

2. I like the more classic-looking green & gold unis this year...*way* better than those hideous green ones with the black numbers the last couple seasons. I always thought that was the curse of our success: we had to be seen on national TV wearing those things. Hey, with the rebuilding year UVM's gonna have, even if they don't play good, I want them to *look* good.

·
Registered
460 Posts
historyofthegame said:
In Cieplicki's defense, the PC students were all over him every time he touched the ball for the whole game.
Not sure what it is about him, but that's who us in the UAlbany section jumped on the most when UVM played at the RACC last season (besides T-Copp's "Oscar" performace of course...just kidding, just kidding..lol). I think he kinda asks for it though, because he jawed back at us just as much as we were after him. Oh Kyle. :)

·
Premium Member
33,355 Posts
Everyone was on him because his first shot, a 3pt attempt, was an airball.

But if I was a heckler, which I'm not because it is stupid and obnoxious behavior, and I had to choose one guy to just hammer, it would be Cieplicki. He jjust looks like an easy target.

He brought it on himself though with that airball. I thought it was pretty funny actually, the fans chanted it everytime he touched it, even late in the second half.

·
Registered
460 Posts
UVM Hoop Cat said:
But if I was a heckler, which I'm not because it is stupid and obnoxious behavior, and I had to choose one guy to just hammer, it would be Cieplicki.
Haha, I hear ya. But I think until I graduate that it's somehow my college student deemed duty to be one. But I do refrain from the stupid personal insults that have nothing to do with basketball...keep it strictly to how they play on the court. That's what makes it more fun I think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts