Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
You can’t stop running your offense with a lead. You can blame Smith, but he also needs to coached up better. Very frustrating. You can’t just dribble on the perimeter and then try and run a play with less than 10 seconds on the shot clock. Lucky to come out with a win. And don’t say that’s all that matters; it will come back to bite you eventually.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,420 Posts
You can’t stop running your offense with a lead. You can blame Smith, but he also needs to coached up better. Very frustrating. You can’t just dribble on the perimeter and then try and run a play with less than 10 seconds on the shot clock. Lucky to come out with a win. And don’t say that’s all that matters; it will come back to bite you eventually.
At least now we have tape on what NOT to do.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Smith had a brutal game... I thought he'd be better. Obviously one game but that was rough. 2-10 from the field 7 pts 4 turnovers 1rb.

Brutal by him.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,420 Posts
I thought Shungu played with a lot of energy tonight 7 Pts, 5 Reb, 4 Ast. That being said, that was kind of his downfall tonight too. Stepping a little too hard on the gas a few times and causing 5 TOs and 4 Fouls. He's going to be good for us this season.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Good teams find a way to win when they're playing like ass. Sure, we probably didn't "deserve the win." But the good news is neither did Bona, and one of us had to win. Better us than them.

It's an A-10 road win. This Bona team is probably the "worst" one we've played in the 3-year series. But they definitely still have talented, athletic guys. They ain't St. Mike's.

This game will definitely be defined by what went wrong rather than what went right. In particular, I was disappointed in our ability to close this one out. I think A96 said something to the effect of: you get an 11-point lead, and suddenly you go away from what got you there. Stay the course. It made us look uncharacteristically inexperienced.

Lamb's gotta touch the ball on every possession in situations like that. Even in that SBU zone: pass him the ball, let him pass it back out. If SBU was a template for how teams are going to defend Lamb this year, then he needs to be our team's assist leader.

Defense was hard to watch at points down the stretch. Mostly because it didn't look like our guys knew how to defend in those moments without fouling. I think it was like 5-straight possessions that the Bonnies drew a foul...at that point, how do you even defend against that?

Would like to know what's up with Powell. There must be some extenuating circumstance, because no way is just NOT playing. Did anyone listen to the radio broadcast? Usually a place where something like this might be discussed.

Either way, a win is a win is a win. I asked the other day how realistic was it that we start 0-2, because I thought there was at least some realistic possibility it could happen. It's not going to happen. Hopefully we can find a better rhythm on Sunday, because we've all seen what Bucknell can do.

·
Premium Member
32,315 Posts
Will take an ugly first game road win against an A10 team that’s been difficult for us to beat last couple of seasons, thank you very much.

·
Gr8t Dane
654 Posts
I watched the end of the game. It's amazing UVM won the game. Got out shot 61-48, didn't shoot for high percentage on the shots they did get (17-48), and made only 15% of their threes. Foul shooting was not good, with several misses down the stretch. They got outrebounded and lost the turnover battle. Those stats don't normally equal a win. Luckily the Bonnie's shot poorly as well.

If they are that good defensively and just had a poor night shooting the ball into the rowdy crowd, then this team will be very very good.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,147 Posts
The little symbol button really is "thumbs-up" isn't it? With the new site design, which to me is worse than any of the bad basketball we saw tonight, I hope it's not "middle finger-up."
We need to put in an enhancement request for this feature.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Considering the Bonnies had played a game already and were at home, I thought they looked awful. If you told me Lamb and Smith only got 20 points combined and we shot the way we did, I would of guessed we lost by 15-20 points. Good teams find a way to win and It’s a good sign that we were able to hang on. I’m sure we can shake off the rust soon enough. Hopefully we get to yell “Bingo” a lot Sunday with a better shooting performance.

·
Premium Member
32,315 Posts
It’s commitment to defense. It’s what Becker has been doing since he took over as HC. Most teams/players stop defending when they shoot the way we did last night, but that’s what has made us so good for so long. Hopefully it won’t be like that again- shooting % across board were pretty putrid- but we will have nights again struggling to score in the 60’s and O will not be something of beauty, but D will give us a chance always.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The Bonnies had at least 4 threes rattle out. They also had a few bunnies just roll off the rim. The bounces were going our way last night.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts