Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UVM won their 2nd exhibition game Sunday, 77-65 over the road warriors of the exhibition season, Concordia. A few random musings from my first chance to witness the 05-06 Cats...

*I think my overall impression and assessment of this team and its style of play is: This isn't a team that will excite anyone to death. Feel free to bring the grandparents and the pregnant wives, no heart-stopping play-making out of these guys. That's not how they're going to do business this year...this team's gonna win games with tough, scrappy, solid play: fighting for loose balls and offensive boards, handling the ball well and not taking ill-advised shots (more on that in a second), and hounding teams into milking the shot clock. They're not very quick, they're not overly strong, no one would ever classify them as explosive...but they'll play smart basketball.

*For a young team, I really thought they did a nice job of *not* taking ill-advised shots. Maybe the young guys are a little too selfless and/or shy to just go chucking it up there, but they worked for better looks, and went inside more often than they went outside. However, they do have a bit of a finishing problem inside...which is going to hurt them against a number of opponents (starting Saturday at Harvard). They were getting to the line, but better opposition won't commit as many fouls.

*This won't be the team of last year that would throw up 20+ 3-point attempts a game, but I wouldn't mind, as the season progresses, trying to stretch the range a little...they had 20 3-point attempts in their first *2* games total. And they've got a few guys who can knock them down...Schneider, Cieplicki, Trimboli, and the occasional McIntosh 3. Don't go overboard (see: UNH vs. Merrimack...39?!?!), but air it out a little.

*Exhibitions are just that...but Kyle Cieplicki played a very good game today. The kid gets a lot of flack because of his name, but what he is is the jack of all (or some) trades, master of none. He's not a great point guard, and he's not a great shooting guard...but he can do a little of both well enough to stay on the court with different line-ups, and make a positive contribution. 15 pts., 7 boards, 7 assists...and he played 37 mins., which is almost absurd for an exhibition. I think the bottom line is that he'll end up giving more to the team than he takes away, and that's a plus.

*Thought I saw Ryan Schneider down in a post position a couple times in the 2nd Half. It's an interesting thought...he's lanky (6-7, good wing-span), he looks a little stronger than last season...if he could develop enough of an inside game to just keep people guessing a little...and create match-up problems with his in-between size/skills, that'd be a valuable commodity.

*Holm struggled a little inside today...well, maybe not struggled, but had a little trouble finishing strong. However, he hit a pair of 10-15 foot jumpers with a nice stroke for a big man...like a real shooter, not that sort of Matt Sheftic-style lean-into-it and arch it up there shot.

*Trimboli looked good...I think his biggest asset thus far is that he seems very in-control and at-ease on the court...we'll see if the jitters spark up when the real competition starts, but he seemed very comfortable with his surroundings and didn't force things or make major "freshman" mistakes. He might not make the spectacular play, at least not this year, but he looks like he's got a good head on his shoulder...even if that head does look like one of the brothers from "Malcolm in the Middle".

I guess that's all...let's get this regular season started!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Holm couldn't hold Sheftic's (when healthy) jock. Don;t get your hopes to high on him, I watched him plenty at URI. Big body, thats it...

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you misinterpreted me...I wasn't making a comparison between the two, in terms of overall playing capacity. Far from it. Not to judge Holm on 1 game, but a healthy Sheftic was the kind of inside bull that created such a tough match-up for many AE squads...particuarly when you team him with Coppenrath. I was just using him as an example of a big guy who shot...like a big guy. We've all seen it...a little awkward, a little unorthodox, like their hands are too big for the ball (i.e. everytime Shaq is on the FT line). They can get it to fall (see: Sheftic in the 2003 AE Championship, hit a couple huge ones if I recall correctly), but there's nothing conventional about it. Holm actually banged home a couple of 10-15 foot shots, with a decent stroke. Fluke? Maybe. But it did resonate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts