Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to make it out to Patrick Gym tonight for UVM/SBU. Great crowd tonight, considering it's mid-week and the temps outside (I specifically went tonight, anticipating a small crowd. Boy was I wrong). Some thoughts from the evening...

*The only way SBU could stop Coppenrath was to completely take the ball out of his hands, because just about everything he touched was gold. SBU basically had a man draped all over him the whole night (yes, I mean draped...more on the officiating in a moment), usually Konopka. At times, SBU seemed so afraid of letting Coppenrath touch the ball, that it freed up...

*Germain Njila! Great night for him tonight. Had 15 pts...half of which must have come from just driving the lane and going one-on-one with the defender. Coppenrath's defender wouldn't leave him, so Njila would slide right in.

*Sorrentine was looking more like the TJ we all know and love. A couple of out-of-control plays, maybe 1 or 2 poorly selected shots, but played well in most other respects.

*Sheftic was dressed tonight, and going through the warm-up lay-up lines. For those who've seen UVM on the road...has he been doing this lately? Definitely could tell he wasn't 100%, but he was doing a little jogging and jumping.

*Officiating: First, let me say that I thought the officiating was pretty even-handed for both teams. But holy crap did it ever do a 180 late in the game. For the first 30 minutes of the game, they were letting just about anything go (i.e. Coppenrath and Konopka looking like extras from the Farrelly Bros. "Stuck on You" movie). But with 10 minutes to go in the game: I swear, you couldn't breathe without fouling. I managed to pick up two fouls from the bleachers. Thus, the game got tighter, and Coppenrath started making numerous trips to the line, putting the win away. Seriously, if they called the whole game like they did the last 10 minutes: 1) Everyone would have fouled out, and 2) Coppenrath (before fouling out, of course) would have had 50 FT attempts.

*Nick Macarchuk: First time I've had the pleasure of seeing him in person. Say what you want about Brennan's antics, but Macarchuk is just a head-case from start-to-finish. He's the lunacy equivalent of "40 minutes of Hell." Not saying he's not a nice guy in person (never met him), not saying he can't coach (I won't judge that), but when it comes to sideline antics, he was WAY over the top...and it cost him tonight. 3 minutes to go, UVM up 3. SBU throws an in-bounds pass the length of the court, and after a UVM and SBU player both go for it, the UVM player comes away with it in front of the SBU bench. I don't know what he said...but Macarchuk gets T'd, with 3 minutes to go, down 3. Sorrentine hits 2, UVM gets the ball, and UVM goes on to win. Stupid.

*DJ Munir: Boy, can he shoot, but I think I agree with the sentiment that "he doesn't really make other people better." He's kind of in his own game out there: he gets the ball, he shoots, he hopes it goes in, and often it does. I really like Cori Spencer, though.

*And finally, what recap would be complete with out the Chris Monasch "Is there a game going on?" Tour 2003-04. He was on Press Row tonight, sitting with UVM AD Bob Corran most of the night. No newspaper. Hard to tell if he was paying attention, I was sitting directly behind him, but too far up to see what he was up to. What's the freezing temperature of oil? He should be careful when he goes outside tonight.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Sheftic

He warmed-up 1/7/04 vs. NU. He looked very shakey though. The warm-up against SB looked much better.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
He's been looking good out there. Weight is under control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts