Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think senior year Stef and senior year Benny will carry the load for UVM. As we’ve seen the last few years, UVM can land the impact transfers from the high major schools.

I except (or rather, hope) that Demuth will end your red shirting the rest of the year due to medical problems (ankle, concussion). Hopefully he will finally get healthy and show why he was a big10 player out of high school.

I don’t see UVM falling at all next season. We’ve heard it every year for the past decade and it hasn’t happened!

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
lsbal,

From what I have heard Hutch has been struggling with a back injury, sometimes when he comes out of a game or during halftime it acts up and he can no longer go. It has happened a couple of times recently, Clark, Hutch and Malachai are playing banged up.

UA is the walking wounded but you have to play the hand your dealt. Lulka has been out almost the entire season after a freshman year that was promising something like 7ppg/6rpg, JoJo Anderson just had knee surgery it was reported he looked good during UA's Canadian trip this past summer and Sam Shafer has been cleared to return from a Labrum injury but hasn't really been able to shoot a ball for about 2 months so who nows how long it will take him to be ready to actually contribute.

It is what it is!!!! Those that suit up have to cut turnovers, make FTs and play defense.

Take a way a 3/4 court banked 3 before half time and make a couple more FTs and the game might have been a little tighter.

Lamb was at his best, many of his shots were challenged but when he's on he's is very, very good .

·
Registered
14,000 Posts
Any coach who has (at least) 3 NCAA appearances and 4 regular season conference titles in 9 years always has the option of leaving if he wants it.
If there was a year for him to leave this is lining up perfect especially if he dances. Doubt he's going to be this hot for a while again.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,000 Posts
I think senior year Stef and senior year Benny will carry the load for UVM. As we’ve seen the last few years, UVM can land the impact transfers from the high major schools.

I except (or rather, hope) that Demuth will end your red shirting the rest of the year due to medical problems (ankle, concussion). Hopefully he will finally get healthy and show why he was a big10 player out of high school.

I don’t see UVM falling at all next season. We’ve heard it every year for the past decade and it hasn’t happened!
Hasn't happened because you've had a generational talent in lamb for 4 years.

There may be one top 10 player left in Stef. When was the last time that happened at uvm?

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
There will be many AE teams next year that won’t return a player as good as Stef.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
If there was a year for him to leave this is lining up perfect especially if he dances. Doubt he's going to be this hot for a while again.

Totally agree, and have thought it for a while. For all the reasons I was fairly confident he wouldn't leave last year, I equally lack confidence that he'll be back next year.

My point was more...if he really wants to go somewhere to make more money, he doesn't even have to win the title this year. It's only a question of exactly what those options would be.

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
A lot of it is going to also depend on what opens up this off-season. Need to make a list of A10/Big East jobs that will open as well as ACC (and carousel effect) and work from there.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hasn't happened because you've had a generational talent in lamb for 4 years.

There may be one top 10 player left in Stef. When was the last time that happened at uvm?

It will be tough to replace Lamb obviously but people said that about Vermont when Blakely graduated or when we had a senior class of Carrisimo, Voelkel, Rugg, Apfeld, Rusin and the program stayed right where it has been for 20 years now. Lamb is going to be impossible to replace and we won't be near the level of near 30 win seasons like we've been at for 4 straight years now but, if Becker stays, I'd bet we find a way to get to 20 wins and finish top 3 in conference.

·
Registered
14,000 Posts
It will be tough to replace Lamb obviously but people said that about Vermont when Blakely graduated or when we had a senior class of Carrisimo, Voelkel, Rugg, Apfeld, Rusin and the program stayed right where it has been for 20 years now. Lamb is going to be impossible to replace and we won't be near the level of near 30 win seasons like we've been at for 4 straight years now but, if Becker stays, I'd bet we find a way to get to 20 wins and finish top 3 in conference.
Point of clarification... I am not suggesting uvm is gonna be a 270 ranked team next year. They will still be top 4 IMO and aren't gonna fall off a cliff. If I've given that impression then my bad. But the large gap that has been in place for last 3 or 4 years IMO will be no more. You will have to scrap like you haven't in a long while to get top 2 or 3 seed.

To be frank... When lamb went out with 2 fouls... Uvm last night was completely lost on both ends. They didn't know what to do. If that doesn't change going into next year...yeah...good luck.

The struggle was very real to anyone watching.

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
Yeah, we all know what we’re graduating with Lamb obviously but Becker returning is the X factor at the moment. He comes back and everyone returns we’ll still have a bunch of talent returning and be a top 3 team. Think SBU becomes clear favorite though as will have the most returning.

·
Registered
14,000 Posts
Yeah, we all know what we’re graduating with Lamb obviously but Becker returning is the X factor at the moment. He comes back and everyone returns we’ll still have a bunch of talent returning and be a top 3 team. Think SBU becomes clear favorite though as will have the most returning.
Agreed... Becker is a proven coach. Sbu will be pre season favore imo. Probably UA 2 but that's a conversation for another day. This much is clear... Someone else will be wearing the bullseye pre season.

·
Registered
14,000 Posts
Quick question... This year's uvm team vs last year's if they played 10 times.

IMO probably 7-3 or 6-4 last years team.

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
Agreed... Becker is a proven coach. Sbu will be pre season favore imo. Probably UA 2 but that's a conversation for another day. This much is clear... Someone else will be wearing the bullseye pre season.

We definitely won’t have the bulls eye and given the team will take on a new identity and players in new roles that won’t be a bad thing, IMO.

Outside of Healy of course not sure what Albany will have returning that’s an established, known commodity...

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I don't like to say this too loud because I don't want to seem ungrateful, but I'm kinda looking forward to next year. On paper we won't be the best, or even the 2nd-best team, and I'm pretty ok with that. The sky-high expectations over the last several years have been a little exhausting. I think there's fun to be had next year in its uncertainty.

·
Registered
14,000 Posts
We definitely won’t have the bulls eye and given the team will take on a new identity and players in new roles that won’t be a bad thing, IMO.

Outside of Healy of course not sure what Albany will have returning that’s an established, known commodity...
Hopefully DeSousa and rizzuto who are both showing some signs but we'll see how it goes. I'd take either of them over anyone not named Stef.

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
Hopefully DeSousa and rizzuto who are both showing some signs but we'll see how it goes. I'd take either of them over anyone not named Stef.

Hope is not much of a plan.

I wouldn’t.

·
Registered
14,000 Posts
Hope is not much of a plan.

I wouldn’t.
They are sophomore... De Sousa by your own admission is very talented. What do you have coming back beyond Stef and Davis who's still developing? Please don't say shangu... Good role player but not gonna move any needles. The rest of your roster... Meh..

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
I don't like to say this too loud because I don't want to seem ungrateful, but I'm kinda looking forward to next year. On paper we won't be the best, or even the 2nd-best team, and I'm pretty ok with that. The sky-high expectations over the last several years have been a little exhausting. I think there's fun to be had next year in its uncertainty.
With the obligatory statement that I want to win every single game until there are none left to win and be considered the best team, there is something pretty satisfying and enjoyable to exceed and beat expectations. 2005-06 and 2010-11 were both super fun, surprising, and satisfying seasons given that we definitely exceeded expectations.

121 - 140 of 150 Posts