Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Nevada has flown into town yet? We are getting a big storm up here in Burlington, hopefully they get delayed and arrive an hour before gametime.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
When was the last time that a nationally ranked team played AT an America East school outside of Boston?......probably Florida at New Hampshire a few years ago?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
hoopcat said:
Does anyone know if Nevada has flown into town yet? We are getting a big storm up here in Burlington, hopefully they get delayed and arrive an hour before gametime.
:gopray: :gopray: :gopray: :lucky:

·
Premium Member
33,325 Posts
Same Nevada team that beat Texas in the tournament last year, pretty much the same Texas team that is currently #2 in the country. They are that good, and Fazekas will be NBA ready after this season, if not already.

Nevada is going to dominate. I just hope UVM doesn't turn the ball over as much, and continues to improve.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yes, there will be the banner raising for the last AE championship we won.

I'm thinking Nevada is going to kill us.
The starters have been logging a minimum of 14 ppg apiece.
One of their exhibition games had them all, even subs all scoring in double digits.

I think Ice Machine has it about right.
I'd so love to be wrong.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
According to the guys at the Nevada board, they haven't been playing all that well so far. Apparently they really miss Pikney. I agree though, Nevada should win this game easily.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That is truly scary, if they've won by such large margins, with such diversified scoring and still
aren't playing well. Geez, hope they have jet lag.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Haha...72 hour jet lag? Its not like 10PM is that late anyway. These guys are going to be ready to play. Maybe they will take us lightly and we can get a jump on them early.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'm amazed we lost by 15. UVM was right with them the whole way until the end. We missed a lot of free throws, Klimes especially but he also had a career high. The refs were far from on our side, not even trying to hide it. We also missed 5-10 easy lay-ups, primarily Klimes and Schneider. Trimboli was great in all facets. He is a star no question about it anymore. This team is very good and when they correct their problems of missing bunnies and too many turnovers they have the potential to be a top three squad IMHO.

Nevada didn't miss many shots but they also didn't look like a top 25er either. They actually had to hit quite a few tough shots while they struggled a little on offense. I have no idea if it was UVM D or just Nevada not clicking.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I don't agree with your comments about the refs at all. There were some questionable calls, but they went both ways. We actually shot more FT's than Nevada.

Very good showing for Vermont though. We hung tough against a very good team. Once Trimboli cuts down on his turnovers I will call him a star. I won't until he does that. The stats on this game are extremely even except shooting percentage. They shot 50% we shot something like 39%. Basically...they had more open looks and less contested shots. Still, we missed some bunnies and if Martin could only be decent at FT's we are right there at the end.

I'm about as happy as I thought I could be after an 0-3 start.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Are Jamar Wilson and JJB not stars? They were in the top 10 maybe even top 5 in all of the NCAA in TO's per game last year. JJB had the most out of any NCAA player but he is still a star. Trimboli has played a grand total of three collegiate games against very good competition. The turnovers will go down. He has great vision, heart and has that "it" thing that stars have. He is a star no doubt about it. The kid can flat out ball.

BTW I'm not a huge fan of bad mouthing the refs but they just plain sucked. I've never booed so much at game. The refs were Bill Gracey, Lonnie Dixon and Mike Giarratano if NUHF wants to give some insight. It wouldn't surprise me if they were WAC guys. Nick Fazekas could do no wrong. I'm not about to blame them for our loss though. We just couldn't convert the easy stuff and threw it away too much.

I totally agree with one thing you said though. I'm pretty happy with this team.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Alright, tonight's thoughts from Patrick Gym...

*First, for anyone who didn't see the game, or listen to the game, or read about the game and just checked the score...this one was *way* closer than 15 points. Vermont basically hung within 4-8 points up until about 4 minutes to go.

*An absolutely tremendous effort tonight against a very good team. I've said it before and I'll say it again with this game as evidence: these kids do *not* get scared, and they bust their backsides until the buzzer sounds. I stayed until the very end...Lonergan coached for 40 minutes, everyone played hard for 40 minutes...and I think the next time Nevada coach Mark Fox agrees to come to Vermont, it'll be for a vacation.

*Considering the disparity in athleticism between the 2 teams (Nevada has some real runners on that squad...super-quick for a team like UVM to handle...beating the Cats to the spot often), I thought UVM instituted a nice game plan and kept them in check. They really gave Nevada problems at time with the Zone D...moved Fazekas away from the basket more often than he'd probably like, and forced Nevada to work for good looks. And Nevada's not a real outside-shooting team...I think they made under 3/per game last season, and were only 1-9 against Sacramento State. But here's where they get credit, and how good teams win games: They played a little more behind-the-arc than they're accustomed (6-14 tonight), and took advantage of the opportunities.

*The one thing I've noticed about this UVM squad, and I hope lousy AE refs don't kill them in conference season, is that everyone has *real* active hands on D...always looking for a steal or a deflection, especially in the back-court. Trimboli, in particular, is a real pest.

*Klimes seems to have forgotten last Saturday, and good for him. He still made some textbook "Martin Klimes" mistakes (i.e. dropped passes, horribly-inspired shots), but he's cutting down, and going stronger to the hole, and drawing contact even if he's not getting the bucket...now, if he could only up his 50% FT%, we'd be in business. But to his credit, this was probably the best game I've seen him play...he's a great hustler, a tough kid, and he *did* have a couple of Grade A post-moves tonight.

*Nick Fazekas: now, they said on the post-game show, he had some sort of stomach ailment (I think Ramon Sessions had a bout of it too, only played 12 minutes), but he did look sluggish tonight. He had some real big plays, *at big times* like great players do, but he definitely lacked a spring in his step. Would have liked to have seen him more towards 100%...even if it meant a bigger defeat. Even tonight, he showed some real flashes of a true all-court game for someone his size.

*The guys that *really* killed UVM were Marcellus Kemp and Mo Charlo, guys who UVM just had no athletic match-up for. 6-5/6-7, in the 200 pound range, can rebound, drive to the basket, distribute the ball, knock down jumpers...just too much for Vermont to handle. In fact, like mid-way through the 2nd Half, Nevada's "bail-out play" when time was running down on the shot clock was...give it to Kemp, and clear out. And he made a series of great plays in that run that kept the Cats at bay.

*Refs: I don't normally like to play the ref blame game, and I didn't even think these guys were *that* bad (called Fazekas for an intentional foul, clutching Klimes' jersey on an easy lay-up...stood up to the star)...but I thought there was a stretch early in the 2nd Half where UVM just couldn't buy a call to save their life. McCrory and McIntosh both got called for a couple of real garbagey fouls...and on the other end, Mo Charlo's getting a piggy-back ride from Klimes with no call. But they certainly didn't win, or lose, anyone the game. I guess they were a crew out of the Mountain West Conference.

*And your Closing Number...3266, another Patrick Gym sell-out. Excellent, especially the night before Thanksgiving. And this was an important game to see for the fans: hopefully, they saw a new Cats team that will play good basketball against good competition, and will be competitive all year...and that's going to be the selling point on getting people out to see Wagner, American, UMBC, etc...

·
Registered
559 Posts
I am pretty happy with the team, record notwithstanding....playing tough, if not always effective, for 40 minutes. Who knows, we could surprise in conference play.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right now, I feel REALLY good about this UVM team. They played fantastic against a great Nevada team. I think Nevada will be in the Top 25 all year long, very athletic, very good shooters. Fazekas has one of the nicest looking shots I have seen from a big man in a long time.

The Wagner and Holy Cross games will be very interesting and will provide a better metric of the current state of this UVM team.

Trimboli is great, incredible offensive player, I get the feeling he could be scoring a lot more points, but Lonergan is reigning him in a bit (a good thing). I really like what I saw from Klimes, he will be an inside force in this league. Gotta hit those free throws, though...

Ryan Schneider looks awesome, especially on the boards, which I did not expect from him. I believe he is the teams leading rebounder.

The big dissapointment so far has to be Cieplicki, which I really do not find that suprising. He is taking between 6-8 shots a game and is shooting %10 for the year. He is a steady influence,decent ball handler, but I really hope McIntosh will take minutes from him.

It looks like Lonergan will use Sisca as instant offense off the bench. Sisca must be lighting it up in practice because Lonergan seems to have confidence in him. He has not hit the shots in the games yet, save for one big three against Nevada.

This team will be really tough to beat at home this year. I do think it will be a bit dicey on the road, as the team is so young. I am very encouraged. I think this team has a shot at competing for the league title, based on what I am seeing from the other teams in this league.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts