Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early conference play road game to Vestal. Get excited.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,375 Posts
Jeez, Davis sure wants to think he's a stretch-4. Becker needs to tell him he's a shrink-4 and keep him in the paint.
They absolutely want him to shoot open 3's. He's shot it pretty well overall this year. It's how they help make space for Lamb on the post. He's usually wide open after the opposition sends a double.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,375 Posts
A good in stretches performance. It took a garbage time 3 pt barrage just for Binghamton to get to 50. Only thing I really didn't like is the beginning of the second half they fell into the trap of taking the easy 3 pt shot after being hot in the first half. That let Binghamton get the lead down to 13. You can't relax and settle. There is no way the team should expect to shoot in the second half like they did in the first half.

·
Premium Member
32,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And we have Powell back to defend Olaniyi next time, since nobody that’s been mentioned was able to the first time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone ever wonder why in the hell Beckett is not red-shirted ?? You can see the kid is very good and will not get much playing time year. I would ask him if he would consider this move. Believe me it would help him and the team for four more years....Wonder if the idea has been brought up to the Staff ??

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Anyone ever wonder why in the hell Beckett is not red-shirted ?? You can see the kid is very good and will not get much playing time year. I would ask him if he would consider this move. Believe me it would help him and the team for four more years....Wonder if the idea has been brought up to the Staff ??
Because redshirting at this level is mostly stupid and when the first sign of injuries or need for bodies hits you're burning them. See: Kpedi, Ra, Patella, Bailey, Powell, Isaiah also mine and other people's thoughts on the matter: Stony Brook vs Vermont 1/8/20 7pm ESPN+

New rule: stop asking why someone isn't redshirted, stop speculating if incoming freshman will be redshirted henceforth. Just because the team lucked out on one by getting away with not playing someone (Everett), had some injury redshirts (Ernie) or lucked out on a former walk-on being good (Shungu) does not mean its a luxury UVM can afford. It's evidenced by the fact the coaching staff have burned through three intended ones in as many years. Add in the grad transfer madness and even more reason not to.

Also, with players like Beckett they just gotta carve out their role in the 4 years of eligibility they have...like most college basketball players.

·
Premium Member
32,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New rule: stop asking why someone isn't redshirted
Yes, with obvious caveat being unless that player is Duncan Demuth, then can feel free to ask away. Or, we can just ask the question a different way- why did UVM get a waiver for him to play right away?

If there was ever a kid to take the transfer red shirt to learn the program/get stronger and work on overall game he would be the poster boy for it.

Now, hopefully he scores 16pts against Hartford on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yes, with obvious caveat being unless that player is Duncan Demuth, then can feel free to ask away. Or, we can just ask the question a different way- why did UVM get a waiver for him to play right away?

If there was ever a kid to take the transfer red shirt to learn the program/get stronger and work on overall game he would be the poster boy for it.

Now, hopefully he scores 16pts against Hartford on Saturday.
Sure, that's fair. And as far as they knew until what like August or September, he was slated to sit out anyway? That waiver came pretty late didn't it? I don't have all the details but the way I understand it the waiver process wasn't a matter of "we need to to play right away" than it was the NCAA basically ruling all players who were told by their previous programs to look elsewhere would be eligible for such waiver and UVM let Demuth apply for it because there wasn't a true downside (the downside was he would sit out as they planned). Well, he got the waiver and the coaching staff absolutely just went and did the wrong thing by redshirting a player they could actually use and vastly overstating those they wanted to keep eligible of making up for the production of Powell.

How about another rule: you transfer without a degree, you sit out. No waivers, no nothing. That or everyone is eligible right away if they transfer. To paraphrase Ron Swanson they need to full ass one thing because the half assing of transfers right now is having an impact on the game...so many teams basically not prepared to go into the season because they're all waiting to know what their roster is going to look like. Then when they do about a month out before the season, they make some hasty decisions or try and implement stuff with personnel they weren't sure they could play in June, so now they're behind come October. That's especially true at the power conference level and might explain why so many of these top 10 teams are getting knocked off thus far.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts