Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
I’m actually going to go to a few games this year. We’re probably a couple years away but I like the coach for a change. The thing is that we know what can happen here when we don’t have amateur hour going on. A competitive team will draw a crowd here (not the case everywhere) and that will build recruiting momentum. It’s not unreasonable to think we could be in the mix for a bid in 2-3 years.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
At the ticket event I watched the scrimmage and thought the team looked better than any going back a few years. There seems to be more athleticism and some impressive shooting. I talked to a couple of freshmen players and they were very excited.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Tough loss to Loyola. Crymble and a line up of sophomores and freshmen held their own despite a ton of unforced errors.
They will be better this season but improvement may be on the horizon with all these young players.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tough loss to Loyola. Crymble and a line up of sophomores and freshmen held their own despite a ton of unforced errors.
They will be better this season but improvement may be on the horizon with all these young players.
Watched the Loyola replay on ESPN+. Two brutal calls on Crymble in the final minute really hurt, though better execution on a lob pass with 3 seconds left could have provided a win.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Losing Caverly is going to be tough. She wasn't an exceptionally quick player, but handled the ball well, made good decisions and had a nice shot and generally kept the team moving. I think Utterback is going to be great, but will have a much tougher go of it the rest of the year. Where this really hurts, is they were only playing 7 players. Can someone else jump into the rotation?

I've also heard that Caverly is dating Ryan Davis, let's hope he doesn't follow her to wherever she's going!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
They had 9 dressed, starting 5, McCauley, Settlemeyer, Handy and Crum. Caverly is transferring (but was in the stands watching), Whiteside is dealing with personal issues and at least one player is injured.

·
Registered
754 Posts
UVM is making a “historic announcement“ about the Women’s program on Feb. 1, before the Albany game. They view it as a big deal, as the announcement is being made by the President at a luncheon ceremony, with invited big-wigs like me..lol..(actually Victory Club). So I’m guessing $$$ involved, and also guessing some sort of endowment, maybe in honor of Cathy Inglese. Anyone have the true scoop?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
UVM is making a “historic announcement“ about the Women’s program on Feb. 1, before the Albany game. They view it as a big deal, as the announcement is being made by the President at a luncheon ceremony, with invited big-wigs like me..lol..(actually Victory Club). So I’m guessing $$$ involved, and also guessing some sort of endowment, maybe in honor of Cathy Inglese. Anyone have the true scoop?

Well it is celebrating women in sport that day: Women's Basketball to Celebrate National Girls and Women in Sport Day on February 1 - University of Vermont Athletics

I think you're right probably an endowment for the program though.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I went to my first game in two years on Saturday. The game was fun and they played well, but the program will be mediocre for the foreseeable future. Utterback is a good PG, but they lose Crymble next year, and I don’t see any freshman that will come close to stepping up to her level. Caverly transferred, though I never saw her play, and apparently freshman Crum from SC is homesick and left the team. The assistant coach in the pre-game spiel said she was not with the team on Saturday, now she is not on the roster on the UVM website. I do need to get over a little more often and support them.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Been to two games this season. Would agree they're fun but probably likely they'll be 7-9 at best this year but more likely 6-10 in league play this year. Their next five game stretch is important. Binghamton has a great record but soft non conference scheduling, so that one at home could be close and winnable. Getting a win over winless Hartford is a must you'd hope, and a home win vs UNH would help a lot too. Lowell is 4-0 in league play so they'll prove to be tougher. They're not beating Maine. They manage to go 3-2 in that stretch that will help them a lot I'd imagine.

They'll be back to square one when Crymble is gone however. They have a building block with Utterback and another frosh could be a solid role player. I have no idea how much the women's game has a transfer market but if they were able to get a couple that ended up being solid that might go a long way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Going back to Crum, after watching the last time she played, I'm guessing injuries are a big part as to why she is not on the roster anymore. It looked like she re-injured herself and I would guess that she's probably not able to come back.

As for the current team, they are very young, and losing Crymble will be tough. While nobody appears ready to step into that role, perhaps they start playing a different style that will allow others to utilize their strengths. Utterback will become a very good player, Larkins will be a solid 2nd or 3rd option when she's playing well. Richason as a Freshman is basically doing what Lauren Handy did as a Senior, so hopefully continued growth from her will be helpful. I think Carly Whiteside could be a good player, but her shoulder injury didn't look good the other day. They also have already announced two freshman for next year, and that was before Caverly and Crum were gone, so that's possibly two more spots opened up to bring people in to help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think things look hopeful.....next year's recruiting class will have to be good, but it would only take two more hits like Utterback to move up in a conference that is quite weak.....a forward who could control the defensive boards would be worth five wins right now.

·
Premium Member
32,761 Posts
Sad how long the dumpster fire has lasted with the women’s program. Of the two dumpster fires currently, even with the best coach in college hockey, UVM’s men’s ceiling is still only going to be 3rd-6th annually in Hockey East. UVM Women’s hoops should never be finishing less than 3rd annually in the current iteration of the AE, but it’s had multiple sub-10 win seasons and routinely finishing in the basement. Shameful.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Sad how long the dumpster fire has lasted with the women’s program. Of the two dumpster fires currently, even with the best coach in college hockey, UVM’s men’s ceiling is still only going to be 3rd-6th annually in Hockey East. UVM Women’s hoops should never be finishing less than 3rd annually in the current iteration of the AE, but it’s had multiple sub-10 win seasons and routinely finishing in the basement. Shameful.
All it takes is 2 very good players in women's basketball at this level and you can turn it around. We saw it with the May/Courtnay era. All it takes are two extremely botched hires to send a program into the dumpster too. That's on both Corran and Schulman for McBride who had no business being a D1 coach at all given her record at Colby and the fact that other coaches in that very conference were miles ahead of her. Carla Berube anyone? Day who was an opportunist who just wanted any school that would give him his first head coaching job and said anything to get it and Schulman and the search committee bought it, and it burned them because he never wanted to be here in the first place. Also turns out that he might have been a pyscho or at a minimum reacted very poorly to being called out by some players and parents and used it as a way to get out of the situation after he'd had some buyer's remorse about taking the job.

They've got a promising freshman who should be a factor moving forward. Another who at least looks like they're going to have a solid career. They have the Gatorade POY from Rhode Island coming in next year. Hopefully these are building blocks and in 2-3 years we're seeing progress and not the reset button being hit again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts