Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As UVM approaches the conference schedule with a realistic shot at .500 or better for the first time in over a decade, can anyone provide info on:

• the status of McCauley and Stuart - are they still on the team?
  • the status of Dizon and Myklebust, neither of whom played on the last road trip.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
McCauley isn't on the team anymore. She was removed from the team roster page. Stuart and the other two are still on there as of now.

It'll be a long season and depending on health, protocols, and whether the school makes a decision to hose women's sports at the men's teams expense, but .500 in league play is the hope...maybe they can be slightly better and crack into the top 3-4, and get a semifinals appearance in the league tournament.

If they do in fact have further departures, they're going to need to really try and play the portal for midseason hard, or get new bodies in there somehow...otherwise, depending on how the league moves forward with "what makes a team eligible to play the game" (most doing the you need 7 scholarship players and a full-time coach), teams are going to want to make sure they're not down to 10 scholarship players or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw last night that McCauley transferred to Canisius. Noticed during the last couple games that Dizon was on the sidelines in sunglasses. Maybe a concussion issue, or some kind of eye surgery?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tough loss to Maine....up 8 with 7 minutes left, playing very well, don't make another shot for the rest of the game, lose by 6. At least 5 of those shots were within 5 feet. Very short bench....still wondering about the status of the overall roster (?).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anyone know why Marissa Macdonald hasn’t played much? She was highly recruited out of HS. And went to NJIT her freshman year. And was kicked off the team. And she transferred to Vermont last year. And hasn’t really played much.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Really not trying to put people on blast but...I think some of the women aren't playing because:

1) If you haven't noticed, Kresge plays a really short rotation that heavily relies on their starters, 3 of which who play 30 minutes or more (Utterback, Larkins, Olson), and the other two who play nearly 30 mins a game (Gilwee, Richason). From there, the bench, depending on who is healthy is 3 players playing around 10 minutes each.

2) There are some players who might have injuries, which could explain why some aren't out there in recent games. Those questions might not get answers because, rightly or wrongly, deserved or undeserved, the women's team being in the state they are in means you won't get any sort of injury reports from local media. There are also some players who don't play, because they are freshman and their coach plays a short rotation anyway, trusting their key players more, or some just actually aren't very good...and one might have gotten two D1 chances to prove they aren't worth putting on the court.

You can consider the merits of point 1 and whether that's effective or not, but you have to consider if it's being done because of point 2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Josie Larkins moved into 2nd place all-time in 3 pointers made, passing Lori Taylor. She now has 198 made 3-pointers, 62 behind Courtnay Pilypaitis. She is also just 16 points shy of 1,000 for her career.

·
Comrade Fox
2,150 Posts
UVM up to 5-2 in league play and 11-7 overall, and one of those league losses was to the Stony Brook buzzsaw on the road. The losses have tended to be close, and the league wins have all been blowouts.

With the caveat that two of those wins were an utterly hopeless Hartford team and one was against also-sorry UMBC...have we finally started to reach that light at the end of the dark tunnel the last decade-plus has been for this program?

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
UVM up to 5-2 in league play and 11-7 overall, and one of those league losses was to the Stony Brook buzzsaw on the road. The losses have tended to be close, and the league wins have all been blowouts.

With the caveat that two of those wins were an utterly hopeless Hartford team...have we finally started to reach that light at the end of the dark tunnel the last decade-plus has been for this program?
Who knows? The AE is as bad as I can ever recall in terms of WBB. 2 of the other wins are over a 4-13 UNH team and a 1-13 UMBC team. They did beat NJIT, 10-8 on the year, but managed to lose at home to a 6-10 Maine squad.

As a conference, the AE is down at/near the bottom, keeping company with the NEC, the Southern and the Southland. In the NET rankings, UNH, UMBC and Hartford are among the bottom 26 teams in the nation.

Those 11 wins have also come against one of the worst schedules in the country. They have only played a single team in the top 100, UMass.

Here is their non-conference schedule by NET rank (wins in bold):

47 - UMass
103 - Bucknell
118 - Loyola-Chicago
206 - American
273 - Marist
304 - Navy
311 - Long Island
314 - Brown
324 - Merrimack
337 - Bryant
347 - Dartmouth

Their conference schedule thus far by NET rank (wins in bold):

91 - Stony Brook
173 - Albany
245 - NJIT

251 - Maine
330 - UNH
344 - UMBC
349 - Hartford x2

They haven't played 248 Lowell or 298 Bing yet.

The AE has 7 teams ranked from #245 - #349 in the NET. Like I said, I don't recall a time when the conference was this bad from top to bottom in WBB.

Anyway, Vermont seems improved but it is hard to tell given the quality of their opponents thus far. That said, they won those games instead of losing so I think that's a positive.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Winning of any kind is taken given what this program had to endure in the McBride and Day eras, no matter how bad the opponent is.

I will say, with Stony Brook moving on, the league on the women's side is going to suffer even more...none of the schools you'd shortlist from the NEC to add to the league are anywhere good at women's basketball. But hey, from a selfish UVM perspective, if this means the league runs through UVM and Maine every year, I won't complain. Back to the good ol' days. All my fellow Karalyn Church fans, stand up.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
She was one heck of a player. It was fun back then. Northeastern got really good as well with Tesha Tinsley.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Winning of any kind is taken given what this program had to endure in the McBride and Day eras, no matter how bad the opponent is.

I will say, with Stony Brook moving on, the league on the women's side is going to suffer even more...none of the schools you'd shortlist from the NEC to add to the league are anywhere good at women's basketball. But hey, from a selfish UVM perspective, if this means the league runs through UVM and Maine every year, I won't complain. Back to the good ol' days. All my fellow Karalyn Church fans, stand up.
I feel similarly about AE women's hoops.....add Albany (while they are still here) to Vermont and Maine. Those 3 programs are going to be cream of the crop in most seasons. I think that in women's hoops you can mitigate a weak conference schedule with a strong OOC schedule easier than on the men's side as well.

·
Comrade Fox
2,150 Posts
The Pollyanna in me also wants to point out Hartford's departure, so while you lose a damn good SB team, you do lose one of the single worst teams in the country in the last few seasons.

Either way, I'm not asking for UVM to be dominant, I'm just hoping for a team I can actually be semi-proud of as an alum lol. From the outside, during my time at UVM, they were the single most dysfunctional team at the university, and that includes men's hockey (who did have two 20 win seasons when I was there...well, one of them I was there for only half the year). I was there 4.5 years and they went through three coaches during that time (McBride, Day, now Kresge), and they were genuinely bad every season.

I'm sure people who've been around longer want more, but I'm setting my hopes for lower, lol

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Is it true that Day wasn't even living in Vermont (Burlington) when he was the Vermont coach?
Yup. He flew home any off weekend he had back to the Philadelphia area. Never moved any of his family up here despite saying how much they were going to love it up here, yadda yadda. Sure housing is expensive up here, but, come on. He literally thought this was a 2-3 year fix and he'd get another job.

Day was a complete bullshitter and he duped Schulman and the committee into thinking they'd found their person. Day literally admitted to some media outlet after being hired that he was just massively applying for head coaching jobs in hopes that someone would hire him, without caring about fit or anything. Then he got here and he would get T'd up all the time, fire off unhinged emails to the small group of supporters that were on the email list...and oh yeah, he was verbally abusive to players. Told a player who lost a parent and was struggling "so what, I lost a parent too, what's the big deal get over it."

There are still some people out there who think he got hosed (mostly because he's extremely good at getting people to believe him, and one of the players' parents who was involved in bringing the concerns to the table was admittedly a very big a-hole, but it doesn't mean what was going on wasn't going on).

The school is very lucky Kresge was probably qualified enough to take the job and keep it. Just needs to keep up the recruiting (they've hit on a few, but they also miss on a lot who then transfer so they have to get that percentage a bit better), development and playing well and I think they'll be fine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yup. He flew home any off weekend he had back to the Philadelphia area. Never moved any of his family up here despite saying how much they were going to love it up here, yadda yadda. Sure housing is expensive up here, but, come on. He literally thought this was a 2-3 year fix and he'd get another job.

Day was a complete bullshitter and he duped Schulman and the committee into thinking they'd found their person. Day literally admitted to some media outlet after being hired that he was just massively applying for head coaching jobs in hopes that someone would hire him, without caring about fit or anything. Then he got here and he would get T'd up all the time, fire off unhinged emails to the small group of supporters that were on the email list...and oh yeah, he was verbally abusive to players. Told a player who lost a parent and was struggling "so what, I lost a parent too, what's the big deal get over it."

There are still some people out there who think he got hosed (mostly because he's extremely good at getting people to believe him, and one of the players' parents who was involved in bringing the concerns to the table was admittedly a very big a-hole, but it doesn't mean what was going on wasn't going on).

The school is very lucky Kresge was probably qualified enough to take the job and keep it. Just needs to keep up the recruiting (they've hit on a few, but they also miss on a lot who then transfer so they have to get that percentage a bit better), development and playing well and I think they'll be fine.
No expert on WBB but...

Kresge seems very solid. Hits and misses are inherent with such a difficult rebuilding job. Simply, the program was in complete shambles. Now, it's up and coming.

There are two sides to every story, but Day seems like a con man. (In all fairness, he's not the first Vermont coach or applicant for that matter to come in and falsely claim this is a destination job.) This is such a demanding job that you cannot do it remotely. This action or inaction speaks for itself. And I'm not even touching on the other allegations.

Lori on paper seemed like a fit, but that was another disaster. What happened?

And why didn't the program hire Eddie Benton? He has experience - and he's deserving after a stellar career. I heard he was close. Seems to have come down to a personality thing.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
No expert on WBB but...

Kresge seems very solid. Hits and misses are inherent with such a difficult rebuilding job. Simply, the program was in complete shambles. Now, it's up and coming.

There are two sides to every story, but Day seems like a con man. (In all fairness, he's not the first Vermont coach or applicant for that matter to come in and falsely claim this is a destination job.) This is such a demanding job that you cannot do it remotely. This action or inaction speaks for itself. And I'm not even touching on the other allegations.

Lori on paper seemed like a fit, but that was another disaster. What happened?

And why didn't the program hire Eddie Benton? He has experience - and he's deserving after a stellar career. I heard he was close. Seems to have come down to a personality thing.
McBride was the "best" out of a very bad group of finalists. One was a Vermonter who was coaching at a D2 and ended up getting fired a few years later and I believe now is out of basketball entirely, and the other was a Power 5 assistant who used to play in the WNBA, who I think got a shot a few years later as an HC and didn't do well. The easiest choice was promoting Steve Lanpher since he was doing all the coaching anyway, but Corran wanted nothing remaining of Dawley. I get some of that because she was a pain in the ass and had all the off-court crap too, but still, I think Lanpher might have kept things going a lot better. He'd get the NJIT job later on and not do well, but nobody does well there. Hard to at a school that's 70% male and the whole lack of women in STEM sorta thing. Lanpher is at a D3 now in Virginia, doing well this season in year 3.

As I understand it, Eddie came in and basically said "if X player isn't up to my standard, they won't play...go somewhere else" and that did not go over well with the players. Day on the other hand told them he thought they had the talent to win the league next year.

But yeah, at this point you have to let Kresge grow on the job and at least put the foundation down that the team is no longer in the gutter every year. There's no reason they can't get back to competing again. It'll make recruiting a lot easier selling even a .500 record than it does 8-22.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Seems like Lampher was discriminated against because of his association with Dawley and her mess... Also seems like if Eddie was a bit more diplomatic he would've had the job. What he's accused of saying goes without saying but he could've chosen his words more carefully. Hopefully he'll learn from this. Day's alleged comments to the player re the loss of a parent are reprehensible. Kresge seems to be somewhat of a disciplinarian - and very solid.

·
Comrade Fox
2,150 Posts
Weren't there also whispers about nepotism with Lori? I wasn't around during the hiring process but there were whispers about it around her.

Day...man, what a frustrating time. I remember doing preseason interviews before his first season and the one thing you constantly heard about was his "energy." Turns out that energy was not a good thing when it turns out he also had a temper issue. And I don't blame the committee for being duped because the guy was a natural in front of a mic, I remember genuinely enjoying interviewing him.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts