Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I remember even Cieplicki was wearing out his welcome when he was coaching the women. Corran wasn't too upset to see him leave for Syracuse. pete Cinella from AIC I believe was the another finalist for the job. He would have done well. Too bad he ended up taking the FDU job and was successful enough. He is now on the staff at Seton Hall. Too bad Lampher didn't get the job. Being from VT, he would have stayed and done quite well. He was also a finalist at Albany before landing at NJIT.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Weren't there also whispers about nepotism with Lori? I wasn't around during the hiring process but there were whispers about it around her.

Day...man, what a frustrating time. I remember doing preseason interviews before his first season and the one thing you constantly heard about was his "energy." Turns out that energy was not a good thing when it turns out he also had a temper issue. And I don't blame the committee for being duped because the guy was a natural in front of a mic, I remember genuinely enjoying interviewing him.
Lori got hired and a year later her husband was hired as the major gifts director for the athletic department. The big thing was Lori got a contract extension for 4 years after being absolutely terrible in her first four years on the job. A lot of people attribute that to Corran one, being lazy and not wanting to do any coaching searches (which was his default position), and two, the fact that Pat McBride held a very important job in the administration and was fundraising for the arena project (to not so great results either at that time). They ended up giving her a buyout, then of course Day got a settlement, so they were paying 2 women's basketball coaches not to coach a couple at one point.

Both Lori and Pat are in the Dartmouth athletics fundraising departments now.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Lieya Stuart has in fact left the team in case anyone was wondering. Didn't play much at all, and given the short rotation Kresge employs, probably not much of a surprise. But, they've had a hard time keeping some players to develop into bench roles of late.

I know there's at least 2 freshman coming for next year. Larkins will be done, and Wells may come back, but apparently is in the portal to do a grad year somewhere else after the season is done. Settlemeyer probably graduates though I don't know her scholarship status for sure. Always the potential a few more leave quietly too, so the scholarship situation will be interesting in the off season.

Given that 4 of 5 starters are hopefully returning and the team has turned a corner, hope some of the freshman step up next year, but also see if the portal can land you a fit or two that can come in and make a push toward a conference title? Cross that bridge when they get there, but that's certainly nice to say.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That's too bad about Stuart, I liked the way she had a nose for the ball and thing she had a role to play on this team....on the other hand, Bella Vito has shown similar traits since she's gotten playing time and I think she will be a very good player.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
No expert on this squad but they seem to lose a lot of players. What's the deal?
I think some its as simple as they missed on the evaluation and one or both parties realize they aren't at the D1 level. Save for a couple of players, most have ended up transferring down a level. Also, when you're bad you don't have a lot of good players wanting to come play for you.

Another is Kresge again just goes starter heavy, and has a short barely 8 player rotation. Seems like if you don't get the trust or aren't willing to stick around, you leave. And, I'll say this, Kresge isn't a warm and fuzzy person at least not from what I've seen. I don't believe she's anywhere close to being some terrible bad person coach who does things that aren't okay, but there's a clear "I'm in charge, so deal" vibe I get from her, and if you're not jiving with that...

But, yes they do have to work on not only developing a bench, but also retention so you're not down to 10 players on the roster every year. I think now that they're showing some signs of life, that might be easier to recruit a better player this year, or next, or land someone who would be a fit on and off court in the portal that can contribute.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think some its as simple as they missed on the evaluation and one or both parties realize they aren't at the D1 level. Save for a couple of players, most have ended up transferring down a level. Also, when you're bad you don't have a lot of good players wanting to come play for you.

Another is Kresge again just goes starter heavy, and has a short barely 8 player rotation. Seems like if you don't get the trust or aren't willing to stick around, you leave. And, I'll say this, Kresge isn't a warm and fuzzy person at least not from what I've seen. I don't believe she's anywhere close to being some terrible bad person coach who does things that aren't okay, but there's a clear "I'm in charge, so deal" vibe I get from her, and if you're not jiving with that...

But, yes they do have to work on not only developing a bench, but also retention so you're not down to 10 players on the roster every year. I think now that they're showing some signs of life, that might be easier to recruit a better player this year, or next, or land someone who would be a fit on and off court in the portal that can contribute.
My only concerns with Kresge are:
1. She can't bring her team home down the stretch. (to many 4th Qtr losses)
2. She can't seem to retain players - that shows a couple of things. Poor recruiting and doesn't play enough players.
Starters look exhausted in the 4th qtr
3. She need to lear she doesn't get a bonus at the end of the yuear for every time out she doesn't use.
Needs to learn when to take them.

This is the best team in years, but where is the depth and where are the recruits ?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
My only concerns with Kresge are:
1. She can't bring her team home down the stretch. (to many 4th Qtr losses)
2. She can't seem to retain players - that shows a couple of things. Poor recruiting and doesn't play enough players.
Starters look exhausted in the 4th qtr
3. She need to lear she doesn't get a bonus at the end of the yuear for every time out she doesn't use.
Needs to learn when to take them.

This is the best team in years, but where is the depth and where are the recruits ?
All fair critiques I would say.

UVM is going to give her time to grow on the job, so there are going to be ups and downs, and you have to hope Kresge can learn from it. It's a lot easier to "grow as a coach" when you still win 20 games a year, but Becker had to do the same thing and evolve. She's going to get probably at least 8-10 years on the job unless she leaves for something else.

We know they can get at least one good/promising player a class...but at a point you're right you need to hit on a few others, and start trusting your bench. And if you don't, then go get better players or evaluate your assistant coaches and make a change if they're not bringing good players to you either. I do think having a winning record will help get in some doors, and I do think fit permitting, they should be active in the portal, especially next year to really go for it if possible.

I think Kresge's path more or less is going to be similar to Huizenga, the women's soccer coach. There's going to be some bad, then some middle to average, and then hopefully, it culminates in a year like 2021 where you win the league and go to the NCAAs like women's soccer did, and that can happen every few years.

I'd love to see it be that the women are back to competing for NCAA titles every year, but I'm also rather realistic on how UVM treats/funds women's sports too, plus keeping expectations in check.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
The Black Bears beat the Vermont women today in Bangor....58-37. It was Maine's 10th straight win and 17/18 over the Catamounts.
Yeah, Maine shut out UVM in the 3rd quarter 16-0 too. Ouch. If this team wants to take the next steps, it has to beat the teams that have been on top. The next stretch of games for UVM is for them to prove if they're for real or not. @ NJIT, vs. Lowell, @ Binghamton, vs. Albany @ Albany.

The Danes are 6-2. Only slipped up vs. Stony Brook and had a really bad loss to Hartford. UVM beat NJIT before, but they are 5-3, Lowell is a solid team. Binghamton is not very strong, but is at home. Really, finishing out the year, UVM should strive to be at 10-8. But, at the same time it's important go get wins and not burn your starters you play 30 mins a game each out down the stretch.

A lot of positives this season. There's been something worth watching for the first time in 12 years. But, there's being decent enough in a not very good league to taking that next step.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
This is a good season for Maine to be less dominant.....hopefully they will get a chance to get another NCAA bid in a Stony Brook-less AE Tourney. Should be a highly contested tourney in an otherwise down year for the league.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Great game at Patrick today, UVM Women over Lowell, 56-55. Key play was a technical foul called on Lowell player after she committed a foul with about 20 seconds left. I don't know what she said, but it did the trick.

·
Comrade Fox
2,146 Posts
Between WBB having its best season in a decade, women's soccer winning the AE title, and women's hockey having its best season ever...it's been a good year results-wise for UVM women's sports.

Hell even field hockey had its first winning season in fifteen years and women's lax has started 2-0.

(now if only the uni would start treating these programs with respect)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts