Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's gone so I suppose it's moot now, but am I the only one bothered by this guy? As the trend is to draft younger and younger in the NBA, this guys is 23 years old and still in Europe, in spite of being told he'd likely start for the Knicks this year. And he wasn't willing to commit to coming over next year either. Now, within days of being traded to Phoenix he's reportedly told them he will play for them next year.

I have no idea how this Marbury trade will work out, it worries me, but I'm pretty darn relieved we wont be tantalized and teased by a guy we wanted to build our future around wondering even he even wants to be here.

(And I'm also glad to be free of the drama of McDyess' knee.)

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I agree,Vujanis showed absolutely no desire to play for the Knicks.Good luck and good riddance...As for Dyss,you just cant rely on a guy who relied on explosiveness after 3 serious operations...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Even Ginobili came in the Nba at 25... and u can see him...
Anyway is Vujanic the correct name...:D
He is good but with Marbury u have the best PG u can.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Now, within days of being traded to Phoenix he's reportedly told them he will play for them next year.
Now who told you that?
I read two of his interviews after the trade and in both he said he is not interested in NBA till his contract expires, that is after next season.
So he'll probably enter nba in 2005/06 season.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>Matiz</b>!

Now who told you that?
I read two of his interviews after the trade and in both he said he is not interested in NBA till his contract expires, that is after next season.
So he'll probably enter nba in 2005/06 season.
ESPN for one, but here it is in print.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/0109sunsnb0109.html

Excerpt:

Recruiting influence

Cabarkapa may play a part in obtaining one of the Suns' new acquisitions, Yugoslavian point guard Milos Vujanic. The friends spoke after the Suns received Vujanic's rights from the Knicks. Vujanic, who is playing in Italy, told European reporters that he wants to play for Phoenix next season.

·
Registered
793 Posts
interview

Vujanić za B92: "Igrač sam Skipera, ima vremena za Feniks!"

Vujanic for B92: "I'm player of Skipper, Phoenix can wait!"

U svakom sluèaju, imam garantovan ugovor još godinu dana sa Skiperom, tu radim, treniram, kada bude vreme, razmišljaæu konkretnije o NBA ligi."

In any case I have guaranteed contract with Skipper for one more year, I work here, train here, and when there will be time, I'll think about NBA league.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I was hyped on him but **** him! He didn't want to come to new york but because his buddy is in phoenix, he said alright. I can't wait till we play the suns with him, whoop his ***!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yes, god damn him for not wanting to come over and be the 3rd string PG on a bad team. Damn him. At least he'll be starting in Phoenix.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Come on Rashidi, management told him they thought he'd win the battle to start. We're suppost to lust for him when he doesn't think he can compete with Eisley, even with management giving him first dibs? It was his position to loose and he chose not to take it.

He'll do better in the west than the east anyway.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
you have got to be kidding Rashidi...the guy totally dogged us..so now you are telling me Vujanic didnt want to be a third string point guard behind EISLY and WARD????

If you used your noodle you would realise he still has to beat out your boy EISLY and the other rook..So much for your logic...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
blame management for not paying the guy. he never came cuz he was stiffed on the contract, so he went back to barcelona where he was offered less than skipper, so he went to the place with the most $$ and thats skipper. If phoenix offersa nice contract, he'll come for sure.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by <b>knickstorm</b>!
blame management for not paying the guy. he never came cuz he was stiffed on the contract, so he went back to barcelona where he was offered less than skipper, so he went to the place with the most $$ and thats skipper. If phoenix offersa nice contract, he'll come for sure.
Can you break it down? What was he offered and what's he making now. It's hard to believe he couldn't get himself overpaid by Layden ;-)

Still, he's all about money? What player doesn't want to make it in the NBA? It's not like he needs to prove himself, he's alreay respected and coveted. Maybe he needs a better agent.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think he was offered the league minimum to be one of four PG's for the going-nowhere Knicks (Ward, Eisley, Williams, Vujanic), vs. 1+ million to be the starting PG on his current team (?).

And remember, Layden had ZERO people skills. This is the guy that offered KT to Toronto for Chris Bosh. I can easily see why Milos stayed in Europe, why would anyone want to play for the Knicks this year?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Still, he's all about money? What player doesn't want to make it in the NBA? It's not like he needs to prove himself, he's alreay respected and coveted. Maybe he needs a better agent.
It is all about the money, if you have a big contract you'll get minutes to play, if you are second rounder, there is almost no way you'll get a chance- that's why many europeans demand bigger ammounts.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by <b>Matiz</b>!

It is all about the money, if you have a big contract you'll get minutes to play, if you are second rounder, there is almost no way you'll get a chance- that's why many europeans demand bigger ammounts.
If that's the case how is it Frank Williams, who makes under $900,000 this year, won the starting position from Ward and Eisley who were both making around 6mil?

The position was there for Vajunic's taking, just as it will be in Phoenix.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by <b>Chester Copperpot</b>!
I think he was offered the league minimum to be one of four PG's for the going-nowhere Knicks (Ward, Eisley, Williams, Vujanic), vs. 1+ million to be the starting PG on his current team (?).
I'd love it if someone who really understand this could explain it to me. This is my understanding:

Rookies have CBA specified contracts based upon their draft order. He was 13th in the order and should start at $1,149,500. I think a team can vary that amount +/- 20%. So even at the minimum he'd be making close to a million in the NBA.

Now if he drags his feet for two years in Europe when he does enter the league his salary is still mandated by the CBA. However, the salary will start at the amount specified for the year he enters, not the year he was drafted. But the difference is probably small, like 10%.

So I'm just not sure of all of what he gains over there. He gets to be a big fish in a small sea I guess. Woopie for him.

And remember, Layden had ZERO people skills. This is the guy that offered KT to Toronto for Chris Bosh.
This is true.

I can easily see why Milos stayed in Europe, why would anyone want to play for the Knicks this year?
To play in the freekin NBA. To play with and against the best players in the world.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>son of oakley</b>!

I'd love it if someone who really understand this could explain it to me. This is my understanding:

Rookies have CBA specified contracts based upon their draft order. He was 13th in the order and should start at $1,149,500. I think a team can vary that amount +/- 20%. So even at the minimum he'd be making close to a million in the NBA.

Now if he drags his feet for two years in Europe when he does enter the league his salary is still mandated by the CBA. However, the salary will start at the amount specified for the year he enters, not the year he was drafted. But the difference is probably small, like 10%.

So I'm just not sure of all of what he gains over there. He gets to be a big fish in a small sea I guess. Woopie for him.

This is true.

To play in the freekin NBA. To play with and against the best players in the world.
He was drafted in the 2nd round. Teams can offer rookie mins, or spend part of their MLE as the Knicks did for Lampe.

-Petey

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I think layden was the problem..He mad a lot of very foolish financial moves and was the pulled in by Dolan..I am sure Dolan needed an explaination as to why we needed to spend more than the minimum on Vujanic when he was spending 12+ million between Eisly and Ward...

But you are right....I would think the NBA would be a dream come true

1 - 20 of 40 Posts