Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just saw this on Twitter:

“@WolstatSun:pictures going around of Raptors Jonas Valanciunas in a walking boot. Waiting for confirmation on extent of injury"
“@WolstatSun:But no crutches and fact he is walking on it is a good sign one would think”
I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I have more information.

Edit: sorry about the little stars, apparently my iPhone won't let me posts this any other way.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Well that's extremely bad news.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's extremely bad news.
The Raptors won't come out with the extent of the injury until tomorrow, but apparently people who know about walking boots and the fact he isn't using crutches the injury ain't very serious. But foot injuries and big men are never a great combination IMO.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Some more surrounding this.

With training camp still a week away, prized Raptors prospect Jonas Valanciunas has injured his left foot.

While the team said a full update likely wouldn't be coming until Monday, Valanciunas does not appear to be seriously injured, though he was photographed in a walking boot outside the ACC this weekend.

Valanciunas, like most basketball players, has had minor ankle issues in the past and walking boots are known to speed up recovery from minor sprains and strains.

He was not using crutches and was putting weight on the foot, both positive signs.

The 6-foot-11 centre has been playing nearly non-stop since being selected by the Raptors fifth overall in the 2011 draft.

He competed in the Lithuanian league last season, helped the national team qualify for the London Olympics and then was the youngest member of Lithuania's squad, seeing sporadic action due to some puzzling coaching decisions.

Valanciunas was to meet with the local media for the first time in nearly 15 months on Monday, but now likely won't do so until Oct. 1st, the team's official media day.

The Raptors start training camp in Halifax on Oct. 2nd.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
An aircast/walking boot is used for fractures, sprains, soft tissue injuries. The main benefit is support and the compression to help with oedema.

If it was a fracture, we likely would have seen some kind of report. The lack of report, and the fact he's putting full weight on it, means my guess is a sprain they're being extra cautious with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never understood how an injury can't be serious, but have no timetable for a return. Even though the doctors confirmed the injury being just a mild strain but I'll still be worried until he gets back on that court practicing. The last thing we need is for this thing to become a nagging injury.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Amen to that. I hope this is the first and last time we see that foot/calf swaddled.

Hopefully he doesn't miss any pre-season because of this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amen to that. I hope this is the first and last time we see that foot/calf swaddled.

Hopefully he doesn't miss any pre-season because of this.
I won't hold my breath! The season starts in 5 weeks and they have no time table for his return...I don't see how he'll able to get some practice in during training camp. I hope I'm wrong, because even though I don't see Valancuinas getting significant minutes, missing training camp/pre-season games will only hurt his development. The same happened to Ed Davis rookie season.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Casey speaks on injury, what's coming up for JV this season etc etc

Key Points

- Precautionary cast. JV went up for a shot, strained it. JV wanted to get right back on the court and really wants to play.
- Casey thinks JV will need to get used to the strength aspect of the NBA. Does mention JV loves contact so isn't worried about him being soft.
- Smart kid.
- Andrea will recieve biggest benefit from JV being on court.
- Casey expects him to be near top minutes by the end of the year.
- Casey understands he'll make mistakes and will let him work through them on court.
- Super competitive camp, players battling for positions.
- Loves Lowry, unabashedly so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a hard time believing that Coach Casey will let Valanciunas work out his mistakes on the court. He didn't do it with Ed Davis last season I don't see him changing his ways..even with a promising rookie like JV.

Sidenote: I might be the only one, but Casey's mancrush with Kyle Lowry is starting to get annoying.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Even if he misses the first 20 games of the season it is really not a big deal. We need to take a long range view of his progress as a professional. We don't want to be in a position where we are relying on him, as we did with Bargs, who kept aggravating the same problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even if he misses the first 20 games of the season it is really not a big deal. We need to take a long range view of his progress as a professional. We don't want to be in a position where we are relying on him, as we did with Bargs, who kept aggravating the same problems.
Kinda disagree! Even though I don't think he'll play significant minutes this year...nothing is good about JV missing Training Camp, Pre-season games and 20 regular season games. We won't rely on him this season, but if we want to compete next year, nothing can hinder his development. We need him healthy as soon as possible.

·
2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
26,553 Posts
Lowry is gonna boss for you guys this year. Great pickup.

Raps could be a fun team to watch again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lowry is gonna boss for you guys this year. Great pickup.

Raps could be a fun team to watch again.

Almost any Point Guard can make a team more exciting than Jose Calderon. Lowry will improved this team in many ways...especially defensively and toughness. Hopefully he can remain healthy as he's a big key to our success. I'm just hoping we can turn Jose Calderon into a valuable trade piece mid-season.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
The boot is off, Val is receiving treatment 3 times a day and while they're not going to rush him back they have no concerns over the injury being an long term issue and don't anticipate him missing any significant time.

BC was o the Fan590 this morning at 8.20am. Here is a quick recap for those that missed it.

Listen Here

Optimism was the over riding sense you got from him.

-This year is about getting to the basket for Demar
-Accepts Demar will never have a 3
-We have a great back-court
-Val is a 7 footer with energy and tenacity
-Val isn't a go-to back to the basket player
-Val sucks the defense in, good rim protector
-Has skills to score but not the point of emphasis
-Bargnani will never be a great rebounder
-Bargnani is a supreme scorer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The boot is off, Val is receiving treatment 3 times a day and while they're not going to rush him back they have no concerns over the injury being an long term issue and don't anticipate him missing any significant time.

BC was o the Fan590 this morning at 8.20am. Here is a quick recap for those that missed it.

Listen Here

Optimism was the over riding sense you got from him.

-This year is about getting to the basket for Demar
-Accepts Demar will never have a 3
-We have a great back-court
-Val is a 7 footer with energy and tenacity
-Val isn't a go-to back to the basket player
-Val sucks the defense in, good rim protector
-Has skills to score but not the point of emphasis
-Bargnani will never be a great rebounder
-Bargnani is a supreme scorer
It only took Bryan Colangelo 6 seasons to admit/realize Andrea Bargnani's deficiencies as a rebounder, and 3 seasons to realize DeRozan's deficiencies as a 3 point shooter. Should be a great step for him going forward as a general manager. Anywho, it's great to hear that JV is out of the walking boot. Hopefully he can start training with his teamates very soon.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
‏@WolstatSun

Hearing Valanciunas still doing shooting stuff sans boot. No contact yet but progressing. Should be good for Montreal game if not sooner.
Good news. That MTL game is our 4th preseason game I believe, so we should get to see Val in action pretty soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good news. That MTL game is our 4th preseason game I believe, so we should get to see Val in action pretty soon.
He did tweet right after that one saying "logically he'll need to participate in some full contact practices before playing so the games next week might not be realistic, but we'll see". I'm sure Jonas will be in uniform before the season starts, but you can tell the Raptors staff/front office is being really carefull with bringing him back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts