·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Van Gundy says Head has been Rockets’ best guard
By Mike McGraw
Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted Sunday, November 27, 2005

HOUSTON — Jeff Van Gundy tried to hide his love for rookie guard Luther Head before Saturday’s game against the Bulls.

The previous night in Memphis, when reporters asked the Houston Rockets’ coach about former Grizzlies forward Stromile Swift, Van Gundy would only answer, “We’re 3-9.”

On the first attempt to coax a quote about Head, Van Gundy responded, “We’re 3-10.”

But before long, the truth came out. Head, the Chicago native and former University of Illinois star, started his fifth straight game for the Rockets on Saturday night. Houston’s usual backcourt, Tracy McGrady and Rafer Alston, is out with injuries.

“He’s been our best guard,” Van Gundy said of Head. “What I like about him is he’s got a quiet demeanor, but he’s got tenacity. Our team needs more tenacity.”

“He’s a great kid,” Van Gundy said before the contest. “He’s not a good kid, he’s a great kid. Not many rookies get a chance to play and get a chance to play a lot. Usually they play on bad teams.”

[More in URL]

Rockets call on Head, he answers
By Marlen Garcia
Tribune staff reporter

HOUSTON -- Luther Head had heard stories about Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy and they had made him a little nervous going into his rookie season with the Rockets.

"You hear he's tough on his players," the rookie guard from Illinois said, "and really tough on rookies. You hear those things and then you get to do things early—it gives you confidence. I didn't expect to play at all. Injuries to other players gave me an opportunity. I'm trying to make the best of it."

[More in URL]

:banana:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts