Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
281 - 300 of 313 Posts

·
Piker
11,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
It’s a ranking, bro. Americans can only process information in list form now… sort of like someone who learned to read by following the directions to cook TV dinners.
My ranking has VCU in the top 10.

·
Piker
11,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·

·
Piker
11,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
This got people talking yesterday. I mentioned that it might happen on here a month ago. I hear rumors that UR and Mason will also drop ODU.
I’ve heard that they won’t play UR anymore either. Wonder if, with Loyola coming to the league, the league is putting more influence on scheduling knowing they have the chance to be a three-plus bid league again?

Reactions: Bill Russell

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,335 Posts
Interesting. Bona is in a similar situation with Canisius and Niagara, who are their rivals of over a century. I, along with most of the SBU base, wants to continue playing both, but the straight up home-and-home agreement may need altering under the A10’s seemingly new OOC philosophy.

Where do VCU fans fall here? ODU has been a much, much better annual game than the aforementioned Golden Griffins and Purple Eagles, so it has to be a pretty jarring development in the land of virgins.

·
Piker
11,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
Interesting. Bona is in a similar situation with Canisius and Niagara, who are their rivals of over a century. I, along with most of the SBU base, wants to continue playing both, but the straight up home-and-home agreement may need altering under the A10’s seemingly new OOC philosophy.

Where do VCU fans fall here? ODU has been a much, much better annual game than the aforementioned Golden Griffins and Purple Eagles, so it has to be a pretty jarring development in the land of virgins.
Mixed feelings. I would like it to continue but I realize right now a win or loss does not move the needle much.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Overall, I’m ok with it. The matchup didn’t help us and playing away is always dangerous with a loss being devastating. Then again, Morgan State, Radford, and Navy don’t seem to move the needle, either.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,335 Posts
Overall, I’m ok with it. The matchup didn’t help us and playing away is always dangerous with a loss being devastating. Then again, Morgan State, Radford, and Navy don’t seem to move the needle, either.
Meh… but those are buy games. Everyone at our level and “up” has 2-3 of them.

VCU is highly unlikely to lose them, can count on the annual gate revenue, and is afforded more OOC date flexibility. Like most A10 programs, it’s wise to have dates available for neutral site one-offs with potential Q1/Q2 opponents.

·
Piker
11,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Those are buy games. This is about the series going back and forth from home and away every other year. It is the only series that VCU has like that. Also, Rhoades has stated that he is not averse to playing P5s on the road without a deal for a H&H. I think the P5s have finally broken his spirit in trying to work out deals.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Oh I’m aware. I’ve been saying for a few seasons that we need to stop the H&H with ODU. But I think last season with the updated NET showed that wins and losses don’t matter as much opponents or location. Maybe vcu thinks we can win these buy games by 30.

·
Piker
11,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Oh I’m aware. I’ve been saying for a few seasons that we need to stop the H&H with ODU. But I think last season with the updated NET showed that wins and losses don’t matter as much opponents or location. Maybe vcu thinks we can win these buy games by 30.
The A10 knows with the high majors playing larger league schedules there’s not much wiggle room in its own schools’ OOC schedules, to build a resume. This past season definitely showed that. Is dropping ODU a wash? Maybe but VCU has not completed their schedule. If they go with more patsies then it is a wash. BUT the following year VCU would be going to ODU. I think VCU would be fine with buying ODU games but they probably don't want any part of that.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
If, during the OOC, we collectively stop playing sub-100ish programs on the road (because we all know those teams can win), the bottom third teams won’t hurt our at-large candidates’ SOS as much.
I'm not sure JP will agree with that.
If the bottom third go 4-9 instead of 8-5 OOC does that help or hurt? With RPI I think it hurt with NET? ???

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
NET is more baked in with KenPom than anything so you have to play well no matter who/where you play. The bottom 1/3 should be playing as many home games against crappy teams as they can.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
NET is more baked in with KenPom than anything so you have to play well no matter who/where you play. The bottom 1/3 should be playing as many home games against crappy teams as they can.
Yes, so with all OOC games you need to decide, does the expected increase in credit (reward) outweigh the expected increased risk of loss...

281 - 300 of 313 Posts