Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Piker
10,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
This was cool. Baltimore Sun released a Catholic League all-decade team and Ace was honored.

First Team All-Decade

G Adrian “Ace” Baldwin Jr., St. Frances (2020). The trailblazing Baldwin was named a two-time All-Metro Player of the Year during his tenure with the Panthers. He was a three-time first-team All-BCL selection and a three-time All-Metro selection, finishing with averages of 11.1 points, 7.3 assists and 3.0 steals per game during his senior year. The combo of Baldwin and front court star Jamal West proved to be deadly, as the duo won multiple championships together. As a four-star guard, according to ESPN and Rivals, he picked VCU over Georgetown, Kansas State, Maryland, Seton Hall, Villanova and Virginia.

“We’ve had some special combinations over the years at St. Frances since I’ve been here and those two are definitely in the mix,” St. Frances coach Nicholas Myles said of Baldwin and West. “They’re special kids and they’re all about winning. Both of them sacrifice some personal gains for the benefit of the team, and the good thing about that is we try to have kids college-ready. When they go off to college and play with other good players, they know it is not all about them. But they know when to step up and they do.”

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,646 Posts
This is where teams outside the P5 most clearly see the broader sports media hypocrisy. With respect to at-large consideration, will VCU get the benefit of the doubt with these injuries? When it’s a P5, the “but... but... their REAL team was this good!” narrative is crammed down the masses’ collective throat.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
This is where teams outside the P5 most clearly see the broader sports media hypocrisy. With respect to at-large consideration, will VCU get the benefit of the doubt with these injuries? When it’s a P5, the “but... but... their REAL team was this good!” narrative is crammed down the masses’ collective throat.
And it starts before that, too. P5 teams with similar resumes as, say VCU and Bona, have been projected as 6, 7, and 8 seeds, whereas you see us in the 10-12 range and on the bubble. So now it's a team on the bubble with injuries (that arguably led to losses).

Was it mentioned that McGlade is on the selection committee this year? If that's the case, I certainly hope that's a topic that is made to be known.

·
Piker
10,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Bones should be back. Williams might as well. I feel bad for Curry because it does not sound like he is coming back.

·
Piker
10,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
And it starts before that, too. P5 teams with similar resumes as, say VCU and Bona, have been projected as 6, 7, and 8 seeds, whereas you see us in the 10-12 range and on the bubble. So now it's a team on the bubble with injuries (that arguably led to losses).

Was it mentioned that McGlade is on the selection committee this year? If that's the case, I certainly hope that's a topic that is made to be known.
I saw this on the VCURN message board.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Obviously what's happening is they're using some additional math here.

UVA
VCU

This is all multiplication here, so you can cancel out both the U and the V and then you're left with:

A
C

An A is better than a C. Ipso facto the whole seeding process is legit.

·
Piker
10,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Jamir Watkins 3 made me laugh. Coach wanted them to run clock and he banged it with like 20 seconds on the clock. Special player. I think this is the best freshman class in VCU history.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Jamir Watkins 3 made me laugh. Coach wanted them to run clock and he banged it with like 20 seconds on the clock. Special player. I think this is the best freshman class in VCU history.
Best class ever? Somehow that sounds familiar...

61 - 80 of 96 Posts