Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Piker
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 · (Edited)
I tuned in even though the game was hard to watch. Denver has a bunch of new players and a bunch flew in right before the game. Bones was one of them. The Celtics summer league team is filled with guys with 3 or 4 years of NBA experience. It was a massacre. Overall Bones looked good. He will need to get comfortable and not get lost on the defensive end. Heck, last night he played without practicing. I think it was the first time he ever met some of his teammates like Bol Bol and he did not even know the plays. Tomorrow nights game should be even better for him.

Reactions: JonBoy

·
Piker
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
The NBA product is hard enough to watch, but the Summer League? Marrrrrrone!
Agreed. I only watched because of Bones. It is tough to watch for me too. Heck, I tend to watch the beginning of an NBA game turn the channel and revisit it late in the 4th quarter.

Reactions: Bill Russell

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Or, tune in during the playoffs to see actual defense.

·
Piker
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 · (Edited)
Some notes from this interview on VCU's newcomers.....

Rhoades on Nunn: If we had a game tonight Nunn would start at point. When Ace comes back they can play together as a quick guard combo. He can really shoot it and play off the ball. He can play without Ace or with him.

Rhoades on Kern: He will become a VCU crowd favorite. He is dynamic. Hooper. He can press and he can make plays. He can drive and dunk on you. He can handle the ball against pressure.

Rhoades on DeLoach: Super competitive and very versatile. He can really move. Very good rebounder and he can block shots. He can also step away from the basket and make plays so he really fits us. He can be at the front of the press or at the back. He is a great mover. Sky is the limit for him.

Rhoades on Nichols: A 4 man that can step away from the basket like a point forward. He is 6'8 and a half with a 7'2 wingspan. He has blocked Hason's shots in practice. He can also play like a guard.

Rhoades on Tsohonis: Fits our style. Not the most athletic guy on our team but has a great knack how to play basketball. Compared him to Joey R. He has a knack on and off the ball with a good floater game. We will be asking a lot from him early in the year.

(VCU does have 4 out of their top 6 returning)

·
Piker
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Let's keep an eye out for an 80's movie reference tweet from Rhoades
He would tweet one of those tomorrow afternoon. You keep an eye on a post from me today because I have a friend who went to Varina. He is probably in the know because he shoots and edits player mix tapes and announcements. He got a text from me at 8 am this morning. Ha!

·
Piker
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 · (Edited)
Let's keep an eye out for an 80's movie reference tweet from Rhoades
We can wait for coach. It sounds good but I am not getting a 100% from anyone. I spoke to a friend who’s cousin played with Billups. Just opinions at this point. VCU is what they are all saying. Never know until it is announced. Keatts, Capel and Buzz can slippery. Billups is announcing at 4 pm in Varina’s gym. Look for Rhoades tweet close to that time.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
This is not about VCU particularly, but the hype that high school players try to create with their "last 5" or whatever, just seems nuts to me.
Maybe it helps with the NIL stuff coming, I don't know.
Sometimes it's hard being old school I guess.

·
Piker
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
This is not about VCU particularly, but the hype that high school players try to create with their "last 5" or whatever, just seems nuts to me.
Maybe it helps with the NIL stuff coming, I don't know.
Sometimes it's hard being old school I guess.
For as long as I can remember players have narrowed their lists. Of course, there was not social media back then.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
For as long as I can remember players have narrowed their lists. Of course, there was not social media back then.
Used to just be things like at national signing day the high profile athletes showed up with hats from each of the universities in their top 5 or so and put the one on from their choice in front of cameras. Not sure how long that had been going on though.

·
Piker
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Used to just be things like at national signing day the high profile athletes showed up with hats from each of the universities in their top 5 or so and put the one on from their choice in front of cameras. Not sure how long that had been going on though.
I can remember going to Williamsburg to cover Terry Kirby's announcement. He had all the hats on a table. No way other than going on the news to get that word out and he had cut his list to four. As a junior high student I can remember being at Ralph Sampson's announcement too. Both of these guys selected UVA.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We can wait for coach. It sounds good but I am not getting a 100% from anyone. I spoke to a friend who’s cousin played with Billups. Just opinions at this point. VCU is what they are all saying. Never know until it is announced. Keatts, Capel and Buzz can slippery. Billups is announcing at 4 pm in Varina’s gym. Look for Rhoades tweet close to that time.
VCU it is! Great get for Rhoades and staff.

141 - 160 of 180 Posts