Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
If I was an agent and Veal was my client, he wouldn't be a Net right now.

The Nets are wrong for him. Re-joining a team deep in bigs (Deke, Zo, Twin, Rogers, Martin, Williams, Krstic as a PF/C) didn't leave him with much opportunity to establish himself. When he's played this season, he's hustled, played an unselfish, solid floor game and flashed legit skills, and has been widely praised. Then he gets benched again and returns to scrub status. When he does play, he gets garbage touches and rarely gets to work in the paint, his natural space as an inside-out PF. He's 25 years old in his 3rd season. He's ready to move up in the rotation. If that's not going to happen on the Nets, he should move on to another team.

Watching Cardinal, the other F in Stein's article, Veal is actually the more talented player. Rather than return to the Nets, I would have recommended that Scalabrine find employment on a bad team or a PF-shallow team like the Wizards, Sonics or Celtics where he could receive the regular playing time necessary to establish himself.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Scallops

I've been vigorously supporting Brian since Nets drafted him, simply because I think he's a paisan. I want the Nets to keep him.

But if you've REALLY been observing, Scallops is not Cardinal. Not as aggresive, and not as confident.

But I'm hoping that now that the Nets have a coach that is actually paying attention, Scallops will get his opportunity in the right situation.

Right now, with Rogers contributing, Rodney is more valuable than Scallops.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Re: Scallops

Originally posted by <b>LesterLazlo</b>!
I've been vigorously supporting Brian since Nets drafted him, simply because I think he's a paisan. I want the Nets to keep him.

But if you've REALLY been observing, Scallops is not Cardinal. Not as aggresive, and not as confident.

But I'm hoping that now that the Nets have a coach that is actually paying attention, Scallops will get his opportunity in the right situation.

Right now, with Rogers contributing, Rodney is more valuable than Scallops.
Rogers may be playing his way out of NJ. If the Nets really want to spend money this offseason, either resigning Martin or doing that and offering RJ money, they have to make room. A good place would be finding someone to take the last year of Rogers contract and giving Veal some time.

-Petey

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Agreed on Rogers. He's more talented than Veal with a similar skill-set, and if he's playing with focus and effort, Rogers is an upgrade. That 'if' has been a big 'IF', though. We know when Veal hits the floor he'll hustle and give some kind of positive contribution. Until Frank, Rogers was usually more detriment than help.

Cardinal should be more confident. He has regular playing time and a regular role. That speaks to opportunity. Scalabrine's good games are yo-yo'ed with DNPs and garbage minutes.

Cardinal is more aggressive taking shots, but not in the over-all floor game. The Nets system on both ends is, of course, more complex than the Warriors. While both hustle and play similar utility roles, Veal has better court awareness and more versatility. In that regard, (it's strange to describe a utility role this way) Veal is flashier as a utility forward where Cardinal is merely steady. Cardinal's offense has been A-Train-like in that he picks his spots and hits his shots in the Warriors' draw-and-kick offense. Veal has shown flashes of better developed scoring skills, although his FG% has been poor in his sporadic touches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts