Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesnetwork.com

Veal's Deal: We'll show 'em

By Brian Scalabrine (as told to Chris Corbellini)
Special to YES Network Online
January 27, 2004

Editor's note: After select games, New Jersey Nets forward Brian Scalabrine will provide his assessment of the game.

Scalabrine
PHILADELPHIA — Our guys went out there and played Nets basketball the way it ought to be. We were tough defensively, found the hot hand in Richard Jefferson and kept feeding him. Overall, we just seemed a lot smoother tonight for Coach Frank during his first night in charge.

We each had a one-on-one meeting with Coach before the game, and he told me a lot of people told him he couldn't be assistant coach here, let alone a head coach. Then, in front of everyone before the game, he told me that a lot people thought I couldn't make it to this level, but here I am. He then told Tamar (Slay) that a lot of people thought he didn't have enough electricity to make it, but here he is. So it kind of got all of us motivated to prove the naysayers wrong. We were all fired up tonight for the Sixers, one through 12.

I got an opportunity when Rodney (Rogers) got into foul trouble, and I knew I had to do something to impress him. So I did — I got two boards and made a three-point play, and that was exactly what he was looking for. He's been stressing the bench needs to make more of a contribution, and with some new players coming in we'll be that much more dangerous.

Say what you want about Coach Frank and his lack of experience, but we'll do whatever it takes to win ballgames for him. A lot of people say we're done and not going to go anywhere now. We're going to prove all of them wrong.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I feel horrible that Scott was let go, but I know he was hurting our team. I'm not sure if it's the negative impact it will have on Jason or the fact that I am just used to seeing him and using him as our scapegoat.

Regardless, this is a pretty cool little segment. And it's nice to see the guys rally around the new coach.

-Petey

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can respect Kidd's actions, if indeed he engineered Scott's removal, because it's all about winning. If he wanted an excuse and a scapegoat, Scott was a lightning rod. Right or wrong, replacing Scott in Kidd's mind increases the chances of the team to contend for the championship in the dwindling top-shelf seasons he has remaining, and he's willing to take that step despite the negative feedback.

What was the quote, Lombardi I think . . . you show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Kidd is a bad loser.

For Kidd, it's not enough to coast through the EC with Plan-A, and then lack a coach who can devise and implement a Plan-B against the WC champ. A leader has to make tough choices sometimes, ones that may seem unfair or hurt good people.

As far as the Veal's Deal, he's a bit goofy, but I like that he dishes on the real stuff (without bad-mouthing anyone) instead of careful athlete-speak.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
More players' quotes

From Brad Parks, NJ Star-Ledger

Every player

got a one-on-one meeting with Frank late Monday night after the team arrived in Philadelphia. Frank wanted to define each player's role and talk with each player about individual improvements.

"It's nice that, after just one day on the job, Coach Frank already had a talk with me about what my role is," Brian Scalabrine said. "It's just communication, that's it. I'm not saying that's right or wrong. It's just nice to know what to expect."

One player

who will benefit from a new regime? Rookie Zoran Planinic. Robert Pack has been cut, and Frank says he's going to give Planinic a shot at more playing time.

"This my new beginning," Planinic said. "I was in the doghouse and now hopefully I'll be able to get out."
You know what would be really cool? If someone could smuggle a copy from Frank of what "roles" and "improvements" he expects from his players. Probably top secret stuff, though.

Veal: It's just nice to know what to expect.

From the Veal's Deal and this statement, sounds like somebody who supports the coaching change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts