Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The game was tied at half, and Binghamton held a 6 point lead five minutes into the second half. Vermont then came alive and went on a tear. The result: Catamounts outscored the Bearcats 37-12 in the remaining 15 minutes for the victory.

I listened to the second half, and heard lots of offensive foul calls on Bing -- which makes me think the refs, once again, were suspect. In particular, Billings, who had been sitting with 3 fouls early in the second quarter, came in to the game and immediately picked up a fourth foul while going for a pass on the offensive side, sending him right back to the bench for another long break. Without him in the game, and with Carter also in foul trouble and not having a great game, Bing's offense lost it's steam.

Nevertheless, after the first give minutes of the second half, Klimes, Sorrentine and Coppenrath tore it up up on the boards and shot the lights out -- and that had a heck of a lot more to do with the end result than any bad calls might have had. Bottom line: Vermont is clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the conference.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
UB -

When playing at Patrick Gym, you MUST learn the following:

It's not a 5 on 5 game...

It's at LEAST a 5 on 9 game...

You've got the 5 guys from UVM in white...

Tommy B leading the cheers...

The three zebras who won't do anything to upset Tommy B...

If they do, Tommy B will get crazy (He makes Howard Dean look downright sane sometimes) - I once saw him to this bit where he jumped in the air and in mid air tried to take his suitcoat off (althought it was buttoned) and when he landed, the coat came off and he stormed up and down the sidelines waving his arms like a Southern Preacher on Sunday Morning.

All of a sudden the Patrick Gym faithful will go crazy and start calling you things that you'd never expect to hear from a law obiding Green Mountain Resident...

Sour Grapes, Nope, just a damned good home court advantage. Wish we had something like that in Boston.

NU has won there like twice or three times since 1990.

If Bing U wants to be the "Elite" team with the "Elite" facility in the AE, they need to develop a following like Tommy and the gang have up there in Burlington.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Very well said NU Hoop Fan. And Tommy B will act that way in Oklahoma and Michigan and New Hampshire, in Oregon, in Texas and New York, YAHHHHH-HOOOOOO!

UVM's last home loss was over a year ago 1/25/03 against Hartford. UVM has won 27 of their last 28 games at home dating back to November 2001.

Last night the crowd was very very ruckus. I go to games all the time but last night is right up there with the most animated crowds I've ever seen. More about that and the game in a minute.......

·
Registered
134 Posts
Congrats to Vermont, clearly the class of the conference this year. I am astounded and disappointed at the rebounding margin - looks like the Bearcats did not come to play. I was afraid of this after the emotional opening victory at the Events Center, but the truly good teams rarely play as flat as Bing must have. Bing is such a Jekyll and Hyde team, never know who is going to show up on a given night. Need to look for more consistency the rest of this year and into next season in order to reach the upper tier of the league.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Clearly "the" Class of the Conference????

i would suggest that perhaps BU should also receive some consideration for "the" class of the conference. Better record than UVM, and BU beat Michigan at Ann Arbor. Who has UVM beaten? What is UVM's best win to date? A two point victory over BU!

Certainly a great argument can be made that UVM is the top team, especially with the way copperath is playing. But come on, get your nose out of Brennan's rear. BU is three points away from being undefeated in conference. Just don't think it's as "clear" as you make it out to be.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Actually more on the game later this evening.

Even I agree with BUguy. Boston University has done very well indeed and deserves recognition. Many games left to play too though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey pal no reason to get your "nose" all bent and launch insults - I certainly have no vested interest in UVM or Brennan - just an observation after comparing Bearcats against each team. UVM lost by 1 at UCLA (Pauley Pavilion) and Coppenrath lit them up for I think 38 points, I don't think that is too shabby. Yes Boston beat U Mich, nice win indeed! But they squeaked by Bing at home 63-59, so if they beat UVM at Vermont, and beat Bing soundly at the Events center, then we will see....there is still lots of season left....

·
Registered
67 Posts
"Pal"

Greetings from the real BU. Not sure what part of my message was insulting. If I injured your feelings by teasing you about cyber-brownnosing Brennan and UVM, then I apologize. It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I never would have expected such delicate feelings on this board, but will try to temper my comments in the future so as not to offend. I must remember that sometimes the information superhighway is not the right medium for a dry sense of humour. Again, I am sorry "pal."

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh...sorry, must be that British "humour" of the big city and the "real" BU I just didn't understand.....seriously though let's revisit this in a couple weeks after the game at UVM and look at how both teams do against common opponents....I'll gladly admit I was wrong if warranted....life is too short, take a deep breath!!:sleep:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Breathing Deeply

Couldn't resist the "real BU" line. glad you realized it's all in good fun. In fact, youre my new favourite (notice the fancy English spelling) BingU fan, even though you are a brown noser. :D

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that you guys are friends . . .

You should consider coming out to the Park Avenue Country Club in NYC for the Boston-Binghamton game later this month. In what is a "first" for Binghamton (and I assume Boston, as we'll), we've put together a joint alumni event so that alums from both schools can meet and watch the game. Binghamton sent out e-mail invitiations to its NYC alums earlier this week, and Boston should be doing so in the next week or so. Both alumni associations seemed really excited about the event.

If anyone on the board lives in a place where there are ample alums from your alma mater and another AE school, and those two schools are playing a game that is being televised in your area, you might consider organizing a similar event. Even though one school will ultimately win the game, the event is a real win-win for everyone involved.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
Boston U has a nice team, but the Vermont program is head and shoulders above the Terriers based on numerous factors that go beyond the won-loss record.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow Barrister what a great idea! I'd love to be there but I'll be at the game "live". While you all are commiserating there in NYC perhaps you can settle the issue once and for all.......WHO IS THE "REAL'' BU??????

:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Maine Jeff

interesting post. don't tease us like that. what are the other factors favoring UVM over BU. You probably get to see both teams more than I do; I haven't seen anything but the BU/Cleveland State game on tv this season. I listen occassionally on the net.

Would be interested in your perspective. However, when you get down to it, all that matters to me are the won/loss columns. I'd much rather beat Bing U by a handful of points than lose to UCLA by 1 point.

The sports world is full of teams that probably believed they were more talented or more athletic or a better team than the team that beat them. Does anyone believe that the Patriots are the "best team" in the NFL? I do because they won it all, but there are a number of other teams that I think have more talent man to man. Another example, who is the better qb, tom brady or michael vick? I think at this point, tom brady is. two rings after only a few seasons. however, no one would argue that vick has more going for him beyond the won/loss records. It's an interesting debate.

Anyway, please share your thoughts on the UVM/BU comparison. By the way, I believe BU will likely lose to UVM in the tourney finals again. In the post season, it seems teams with one or two superstars can really dominate. Coppenrath obviously seems to be that kind of player.

Anyway, I wonder if Belmont University might have a say in this "real BU" debate. They did beat missouri and lost to memphis by a handful of points. Hmmm . . .?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I just hope that Vermont is peaking at the wrong time. Hopefully with the return of Sheftic to some quality minutes the team will only improve going into the Conference Tourny.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
So anyway,

I attended the game with my mother. For many years she has been an avid fan and season ticket holder for UVM women's basketball. Needless to say she is very familiar with nutty a$$ Patrick Gym crowds. I told her all about how last year Billings decided to flap his gums about how he should have won rookie of the year over Taylor Coppenrath the previous year. I explained how our local paper the Burlington Free Press(Gardner?) hyped up Billings' comments prior to the game. I then explained that the Patrick Gym fateful booed the NBA prospect so bad that it took him out of his game and he fouled out early. I told her about the previous seasons game based what others had told me because I didn't attend that game.

They announce the starters on BU one after another and being the respectful woman that she is she claps for each player. I gave her a dirty look. She just said, "I clap for the other team too," and gave me and I don't care what you think look. So I'm like fine, whatever. Then they announce Billings and I start booing along with everybody else and I turn and look at my mother who happens to be clapping and laughing about the crowd booing him as bad as they were. Little did she realize it was going to get worse and worse as the game went on.

So anyway they tip the ball and Billings wins it. He then gets the ball in paint on a relatively easy shot and misses. The crowd goes nuts with applause. My mother and I look at each other wide-eyed because neither one of us had ever seen the crowd as animated as they were on such an insignificant play at such an early stage of the game. On the next BU possession the same exact thing happened. Billings, down low, miss, eruption of applause. I think the same thing happened three consecutive times and each time crowd got louder and louder. UVM then went on their run going up at least 10 maybe 12. The crowd was ballistic. Steals at the right time, threes at the right time, boards at the right time UVM was playing perfectly entertaining basketball. At the end of the half BU started coming back and the crowd started getting quieter and quieter. Finally the half ended in silence as Williams nails a three to tie it at 29.

The first few minutes of the second half were the worst few minutes of basketball I've seen UVM play this year. Turnover after turnover, crappy shot after crappy shot, UVM goes down by 8. What worked for BU for most of the game was pounding it inside to Billings and Adediran against UVM's rather soft, don't get into foul trouble, defense. The game would have ended much closer if BU just did that but they tried in vain to do other stuff.

By this point the crowd is out of it. Then good old Billings comes to UVM's rescue again. He gets 2 fouls one right after another, parks himself on the bench with 3 fouls. Each one of the fouls helped get the crowd back into it. The fans were ecstatic just because Billings got a couple of fouls. I think it's safe to say the fans at Patrick Gym genuinely hate the big Alaskan. The audience was relentless on Billings in the second half. They helped Billings shoot 2-7 from the line including an air ball. Every time he touched the ball the crowd booed. In the second half even my mother was in on it. Next year Marcus Barnes will get a similar treatment I'm sure.

The turning point of the game was when our highly talented but very unsure of himself Martin Klimes got the ball at the top of the key. He held the ball looking for a pass as Billings played way off of him, which Maine learned was a bad idea in Orono. He kept looking and acting like he was going to pass it as the whole crowd, bench, Tom Brennan are all yelling "shoot it!" Finally after a long a$$ time he pops it and swish, crowd goes absolutely ape-sh!t.

So then UVM completely takes over the boards with the help of Martin Klimes and of course Taylor. It didn't matter what side of the court we were on if a ball missed the basket UVM got the board. It didn't matter who was in the game on either side UVM got the board.

The game was much closer than it appeared in the box score. Billings needs to develop some heart and determination to take his game to the next level. There was one instance when he was dominant and UVM couldn't stop him but he couldn't keep it up. He has all the talent in the world but he really needs to want to be good. He lacks that intangible quality that Coppenrath, JJB, Sorrentine and Reed have and players like Munir lack. Adederin deserves more PT and more ball when he gets the PT. I saw him on T.V. in Boston and saw him live for first time last night and IMHO he is better then a lot of the starting big men in this league offensively.

The funniest part of the game was after Billings missed the free throw following the air ball my mom says, "That'll teach him to open his mouth, bet he regrets it now." We were both amazed by the crowd reaction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts