Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good college basketball game. Very impressed with Vermont. Three keys to the game:

1.) Black Bears did a decent job on Coppenrath, but Martin Klimes, in the second half, hit three or four clutch shots when Catamounts needed them. In other words, they got production out of a player maybe where it's not expected.

2.) Black Bears led 37-34 at halftime, but went through a 4, 5 minute dry spell early in the second half that allowed Vermont to go up four, five, six points. Basically, UVM kept UMaine at arm's length the rest of the way;

3.) Black Bears pulled to within 64-61 with just over 2 minutes to go and forced a turnover that led to a fast break opportunity. Dobson's lead pass for Flavin was just out of his reach and went out of bounds. Black Bears got another defensive stop, but Dobson's shot rimmed out. Vermont hit some free throws and that was it.

As stated. Very good game, but tough loss on the home floor for Black Bears. David Hehn also hit a couple clutch shots for Vermont.

Interesting sidenote to this one: About midway through the second half, Mark Flavin of Maine was part of two double-foul calls about 15 seconds apart. They were his third and fourth fouls of the game and effectively took Maine's third best option out of the game.

I guess our vaunted AE officials have never heard of preventative officiating where they take the whistle out of their mouths during play and tell players to "clean it up." So, on consecutive plays where nobody was gaining an advantage, the officials, once again exhibiting a total lack of game savvy, unwittingly create an advantage.

Nonetheless, like I said, good ballgame.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've gone three years without seeing a double-foul call. As Chet said, there were two within a minute. Both Flavin and Klimes fouled out, showing that the double-foul normally benefits the team with more depth. Maine fought to stay in this game, and while Maine can clearly beat Vermont, the better team won today.

WHAT WORKED: First-half ball movement. Clearly, it was the best half of basketball I've seen Maine play all season. The patient and effective passing led to 61% field goal shooting. Dobson again took control nicely, and Hadjisitirov came off the bench to dish off some nice passes.

WHAT NEEDS WORK: Board crashing and field goal shooting. UVM had ten more rebounds and eight more offensive rebounds (10-2) than UM. Granted, it's easier to crash boards when you're Germain Njila or Scotty Jones, but this could make the difference in games. I have a harder time with Maine's 13 for 21 free-throw shooting.

WHAT'S AHEAD: Maine at UNH (0-4, 4-10), Wednesday night.

·
Registered
280 Posts
on the double foul calls, i gave the ref who did the second one a rash of good natured ribbing during a time-out and he replied, and i paraphrase, "when two guys are mixing it up it's not fair to call a foul on one of them".........i think the arena heard the thud of my jaw hitting the floor!!!! i didn't see the first of the two, but the second one happened right in front of me and all flavin was doing, with his arms extended over his head was try to get around klimes and get from the block to the elbow........it was flavin's 4th and deflated what maine was doing effectively inside.

that said, that's not why Maine lost.....Vt is just a damned good team. they scrap, move the ball, play defense, and are very, very, very patient on offense. Coppenrath had two or three bodies on him every time he got the ball........any other star would have gotten frustrated and either committed a stupid foul, taken a stupid shot or *****ed at the refs or some combo of the three. Coppenrath just kept working his a** off, kept his mouth shut, and worked to get open and stayed within the system. he's talented and smart.....he's just a special player. NUGrad, you should send a tape of Coppenrath to Barea.....if he played with the quiet intensity and determination of Coppenrath, he'd be lauded by everyone on this board.

by the way everyone, be afraid, be very, very afraid. sorrentine played smart and under control for the first time ever. i've seen him 3 times in person and another 3 on television and this is the first time that there wasn't at least 2-3 out of control drives to the basket and 3-4 ill-advised shots, usually bombs. if he plays the rest of the way like this, Vt.will repeat.

another reason to fear the 'Cats is that i think they're finally being well-coached. the bob brown lookalike assistant made excellent adjustments at halftime and throughout the game. maine's defense was vulnerable to the foul line jumper and Gjila(sp?) was playing there. in the second half, Vt. put Klimes and others in that spot and they started nailing jumpers. late in the half when Maine started to defend those, Coppenrath became open one on one........great adjustment.....game winning adjustment.

btw......2100 attendance, cheerleaders, band.....great college basketball atmosphere. UM has back to back 2000 plus game attendance. as a bonus, AD Nero was at both games,busily writing down notes. i'm guessing the atmosphere and things will only improve under his stewardship.....

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vermont and Brennan must be happy he's only a Bob Brown lookalike and not a Bob Brown "coachalike?"

As a sidenote, Roz, and I know you probably don't want to hear this:

David Hehn entered the game 4 for 27 on the season on 3-pointers. So what does he do? Goes 3 for 5 against Black Bears with the mask on.

Martin Klimes entered the contest averaging 1.9 ppg: What's he do? Scores career high 13, including a couple killer elbow jumpers.

If Markwood, Campbell or Petkus (combined 2 for 10, I think it was) hit a few more shots and UVM's "supporting cast" doesn't ...

Ifs and buts and all that ... Vermont was better on the three or four possessions that decided the game. Period. Good college basketball game.

By the way, where does Nero sit when he attends? I haven't met him, yet. Seems like he's trying to get some stuff going.

I've got one suggestion for him: When a fan asks a UMaine sports information worker (long after an earlier game ended and most people had left the arena, I might add) if he'd could take a look at the final stats. Maybe said employee could come up with something better than a brushoff comment like "Fans can look it up on the Internet." A little eye contact and a "No, I'm not supposed to do that," would have sufficed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i am well aware of the what ifs.......they've plagued that program since i've followed them as a kid........i try not to think about them if i can. thanks for bringing that up though, want to give me a papercut and pour lemon juice in it while you're at it?? ;)

as for nero, he sits near the end of press row, across from bainsey and the scorer's table at the skybox end of that table. he's a vertically challenged, young looking guy, always dressed well. i met him at the final four last year and was incredibly impressed. he's energetic, enthusiastic, and extremely committed to what he's doing. by the time he leaves, he will have left an indelible mark on the school.

as for your "run in" with the assistant SID, i'd tell nero about it. he would make sure that nothing like that ever happens again. i had an unpleasant experience with the ticket office this summer, emailed him and it was addressed within 24 hours. if you'd like to do that, let me know and i'll get you his email address.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed on the "what if" game. It's just so easy to do it. I'll admit, I'm not very good at letting it go.

As for the SID-person deal, yeah, maybe I'll send Nero a note, that's a good idea. It wasn't much of anything, but it just sort of rubbed me the wrong way. It was long enough after the game and in a certain area of the arena that it should have indicated that 'this guy isn't just hassling me on the way out the door.' That said, I'd readily accept a "That's against league policy," or "I'm sorry, but I've got a few other duties to carry out." I thought the brushoff answer was uncalled for. Especially when you consider how hard our programs fight for the entertainment dollar.

On to New Hampshire. You making the trip down?

·
Registered
280 Posts
i will one of these years.......unfortunately(or perhaps fortunately) i've become a hockey dad.....my 7 year old mite has a game that evening. when he's older we'll make the trips to durham......or perhaps not as i won't travel there to see a CAA game.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, c'mon

You mean you wouldn't drive down just to see UNH/Towson in mid-January in some upcoming year?

It's a little cold, but the Black Bear-mobile will have the battle-flag out and headed to Durham this evening. Back to Alfond Sunday for Albany.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts