Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would be pretty cool for an America East school to beat a team like Virginia. Man, that would really be something, wouldn’t it?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Not familiar with NESNplus online.
Anyone with experience?
If you have NESN from your cable provider, use your cable logins to access it via stream. It also is in your cable guide to watch TV your provider as well. It's channel 894 on Xfinity and is on most of the streaming cable packages like YouTube TV and Hulu provided you're in VT or New England.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Would be pretty cool for an America East school to beat a team like Virginia. Man, that would really be something, wouldn’t it?
Vermont won't be slipping under the radar like UMBC did a couple years ago. Bennett's memory surely goes back that far. He will have his boys ready. No way he wants to lose a second game to America East. Cats will have to play a near-perfect game just to keep it close.

Sagarins favor Virginia by 16
realtime by 23
teamranking gives Vermont a 10% chance (so, they have a chance :) )

·
Premium Member
32,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is Shungu's status for this one? Would be pretty great to have our starting PG available for this one.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,505 Posts
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/college-sports/vermont-puts-streak-on-line-vs-no-7-virginia/2019/11/18/f87dd738-0a42-11ea-8054-289aef6e38a3_story.html

Vermont puts streak on line vs No. 7 Virginia

By Associated Press
November 18, 2019 at 12:35 p.m. PST
Vermont (4-0) vs. No. 7 Virginia (3-0)
John Paul Jones Arena, Charlottesville, Virginia; Tuesday, 7 p.m. EST
BOTTOM LINE: Vermont looks for its fifth straight win of the season as it takes on No. 7 Virginia. Vermont is looking to extend its current four-game winning streak. Virginia has moved up to No. 7 in the latest AP rankings following a win over Columbia last week.
SENIOR STUDS: Virginia’s Mamadi Diakite, Jay Huff and Braxton Key have combined to account for 63 percent of all Cavaliers points this season.ACCURATE ANTHONY: Anthony Lamb has connected on 12 percent of the 25 3-pointers he’s attempted and has gone 3 for 18 over the last three games. He’s also made 75 percent of his foul shots this season.

STREAK SCORING: Vermont has won its last three road games, scoring 65.7 points, while allowing 63.3 per game.
Really WP? "Accurate Anthony", and then they post those stats? Did anyone proofread this?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Virginia has held both Syracuse and James Madison to 34 points. Giddens defending Jay Huff will be a tall order but an option we didn't have last year. Our defense will be as good as any Virginia has seen so far, man to man, so I'm hoping tomorrow is the day UVM's offense starts hitting. The new 3pt line seems to be causing shooting issues. It probably makes playing zone tougher with the greater spacing. Anyway, we'll need to improve on 21% for 3.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Before the St. John's, I wanted Lamb to take 20+ shots. Same with this game. If we're going down, I want our best player to have the ball in his hands against better competition. Now that doesn't mean not passing or moving the ball. You should be able to get him 20+ while keeping a flow to the offense. If the shade or double team him like Fsu did, you should be able to rotate the ball and get good looks. Virginia is the best defensive team in the country so nothing will be easy. As for Giddens, I loved playing with a big that mostly just defends and rebounds. It makes it easier for other players to get in rhythm when you have at least one starter that doesn't require shots.

·
Registered
384 Posts
What is Shungu's status for this one? Would be pretty great to have our starting PG available for this one.
No inside intel on this but I’m betting we don’t see him until after Thanksgiving. Tomorrow would only be a little over a week since the re-injury, which seems a little quick for a hamstring. Then we have back to back next weekend which isn’t ideal, though I suppose you could run him out there in game 2 if he’s ready. And if he hasn’t played by then, no reason to play him against Gallaudet.

But very much agree it would be nice to have him for this. He’s a much better matchup for us against high majors because of the size and length.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Morituri Te Salutant, that said I think the order of business has to be making Virginia earn their points because it seems unreasonable to imagine that we magically unlock all of our offensive woes against the nations most stifling defense... It would be nice, but unreasonable. It seems to me that our best shot is to exploit their own offensive struggles as much as we possibly can to keep the game within Lamb miracle range...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Vermont won't be slipping under the radar like UMBC did a couple years ago. Bennett's memory surely goes back that far. He will have his boys ready. No way he wants to lose a second game to America East. Cats will have to play a near-perfect game just to keep it close.

realtime by 23
I was a little surprised when I saw this. I had been thinking 10 or 12. Then I took a closer look at the three box scores from their games. Not only has nobody shot 30% against them, they are murdering teams on the boards and have blocked 19 shots in 3 games. Yikes.

·
Registered
132 Posts

realtime by 23
oddly, Massey, which rates uvm higher than anyone I’ve seen (58th) has Virginia wInning by 22% and Vermont with only a 5% chance at victory.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Vegas has UVA as a 14 1/2-point favorite and the o/u at 113, which adds up to a predicted final score of 64-49. I think I’d take the Cats + 14 1/2.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts